Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micropubs - will this catch on in Brighton?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Don't think that counts as a microbrwery these days, does it?

I'm not sure how it is decided to be honest. If they don't count because they're too big time then might I suggest W J King? They describe themselves as a microbrewery according to their website, so it must be true

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd be up for meeting and discussing ideas.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
lets meet for a pint after the opening game of the season (anyone thats interested), and discuss this properly. As in over a beer, not a keyboard :)

Let's do this.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Have we got Piglets Pantry on board yet ?

Now that is a shout and a half. Have one of those little pie ovens on the bar. Maybe they could create a pie in the pubs honour. Oh god I'm loving this idea!!!!

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Right, found a nice cheap premises in Kemp Town. Need some fixtures and fittings and a deal with a local microbrewery (most likely Dark Star). Who's in?

Why not approach Kemptown Brewery? They must have capacity as Brighton Bier Co are brewing there too now, and they're installing a second plant. You could likely get a beer brewed specially for your place (which would attract the scooper types etc).

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
We've just lost a great little pub in Lindfield called the Stand Up, a great pub. Bigger than the ones mentioned here but relatively small non the less. Would be good to see if one of these places could get off the ground around here, i would certainly give a visit or two....

Dark Star had to give up the Stand Up quite suddenly when the pubco that owns it put up the rent to a level where they would be losing money. The latest word on the street is the people who have the Snowdrop in Lewes are looking to take it over and reopen in a few weeks (a bit odd given that they only had the Spotted Dog in Brighton for six months before bailing, but I guess they think they can make a go of it).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I also know the owners of Hammerpot and Beachy Head Breweries and can get barrels off of them at reasonable prices (I bought one for a barbecue last weekend from Hammerpot - 72 pints for £69.80 inc VAT).

Seriously, been scouting about and found an IDEAL premises which would cost under £10,000 a year all in.

On these sorts of figures, it wouldn't take much to make this a viable concern. Obviously there'd be a need to spend some dosh on fittings, there'd be heating/lighting, glasses to buy and pay for the stock upfront but you wouldn't need many customers rolling through the door to make it work - assuming it was run on a co-op basis.

I'm up for this too

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
On these sorts of figures, it wouldn't take much to make this a viable concern. Obviously there'd be a need to spend some dosh on fittings, there'd be heating/lighting, glasses to buy and pay for the stock upfront but you wouldn't need many customers rolling through the door to make it work - assuming it was run on a co-op basis.

I'm up for this too

glasses, with the right brewer behind us shouldn't cost much, if anything. Same as incidentals like beer mats etc

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'm up for this too

The figures quotes in the link range from £2k to set up The Butchers Arms, £10k for Rat Race and £30k for Just Beer. Having looked at Just Beer's website the pub looks relatively snazzy. The first two sound a bit more DIY/pop up in outlook and nature.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Sounds a great idea, also I have heard a rumour that the old Gloucester/barfly site is turning into a micro-brewery, so perhaps some local beer from there?

Dark Star had to give up the Stand Up quite suddenly when the pubco that owns it put up the rent to a level where they would be losing money. The latest word on the street is the people who have the Snowdrop in Lewes are looking to take it over and reopen in a few weeks (a bit odd given that they only had the Spotted Dog in Brighton for six months before bailing, but I guess they think they can make a go of it).
They are pretty smart when it comes to running a pub as a successful business. I know of one [very well-known] pub that they nearly took over, until they did the sums and worked out that there was no way they could recover the refurbishment and setting up costs that would be entailed.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath

I could see that working. I reckon as long as they keep the format that was there before and not do anything daft they would have a ready made set of punters who would just walk straight in.
Drove past there yesterday and there were some shop fitters signs in the windows so something is happening for sure

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sounds a great idea, also I have heard a rumour that the old Gloucester/barfly site is turning into a micro-brewery, so perhaps some local beer from there?

I spoke to someone connected to the venue when it closed and BarFly were temporarily closing it for a refurbishment and were still totally committed to the venue. One can only imagine how lavish this now 5 year overhaul will be. Or maybe the owners were bullshitting?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They are pretty smart when it comes to running a pub as a successful business. I know of one [very well-known] pub that they nearly took over, until they did the sums and worked out that there was no way they could recover the refurbishment and setting up costs that would be entailed.

These fellas certainly know how to run a nice pub as The Snowdrop and The Spotted Dog (RIP) are/were favourite haunts for me and the troupe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here