Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micropubs - will this catch on in Brighton?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
We've just lost a great little pub in Lindfield called the Stand Up, a great pub. Bigger than the ones mentioned here but relatively small non the less. Would be good to see if one of these places could get off the ground around here, i would certainly give a visit or two....

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
This is the way forward.

Pub.jpg

having had a look at the web, you can buy the complete kit including bar for about £3k!!
I would never see the wife, "just popping down the shed love" You could fit sky and all other things down there!

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
We've just lost a great little pub in Lindfield called the Stand Up, a great pub. Bigger than the ones mentioned here but relatively small non the less. Would be good to see if one of these places could get off the ground around here, i would certainly give a visit or two....

Is that what used to be the Linden Tree? It's closing? That'd be a real shame, used to be the only Free House in Lindfield I think.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yeah it would be great seeing a Badger Ale

....oh, wait

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Getting taken over,soon to re-open:smile:

I did hear rumours that it was, i do hope so. Would be great if its the same 'format' as before i.e. the live bands etc. I read that the closure was down to the fact an agreement couldn't be reached with the landlord over rent etc.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Is that what used to be the Linden Tree? It's closing? That'd be a real shame, used to be the only Free House in Lindfield I think.

It did used to be the Linden Tree and the name changed to The Stand Up (a reference to the old days when there weren't any chairs i think)

It closed a couple of weeks ago, great shame

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Should work anywhere, I think it's great. But please sell Lager.

For me would 100% have to sell lager, good idea though

F*ck the euro-fizzy pop! Joking aside, one would assume that for Lager you need refrigerated basements which need to be on a motored pump and it's all a lot more expensive. Ales can be kept at room temperature and pumped manually by hand, keeping it all simple, no stupid kit like pumps with condensation running down them.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

Isn't that the Dark Star pub? If so it isn't closed down, it's just getting a refurb. One of my favourite country boozers for an ale or two

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
F*ck the euro-fizzy pop! Joking aside, one would assume that for Lager you need refrigerated basements which need to be on a motored pump and it's all a lot more expensive. Ales can be kept at room temperature and pumped manually by hand, keeping it all simple, no stupid kit like pumps with condensation running down them.

I think that's exactly it. Whilst there is probably an element of beer snobbery to it, the main reason will be cost. Were I to run my own microboozer I'd cater for lager drinkers by having bottled stuff, but only the quality stuff, from Germany and the Czech Republic. I don't go in for this "all lager drinkers are uncultured, flavour-avoiding yobs" attitude. It's as valid a drink any other sold in pubs and bars, I would just avoid the bland brand-before-taste stalwarts of Fosters and Kronenbourg etc.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here