Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micky in trouble..

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It is also true, that if Slade hadn't sorted out his mess, that's exactly what we'd be now, as well.

Indeed he would have taken us where he started with us. He also inherited not a bad side from Wilkins.

We all agreed (despite the naysayers oh it was a poor league/lucky to finish 7th BLAH BLAH) that two or three quality additions would make us a force to be reckoned with. Adams ripped the team apart, filled it with loans and shit like Hawkins, played Virgo anywhere but defence and the rest is history.

Funnily enough Bloom is investing 15M in the training centre. Wilkins had a dream that the Albion would eventually field an entire 11 of sussex players (and we wasnt far off under Wilkins with Cox, Mayo, El Abd, Hammond etc). Seems they both have/had the same idea.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Adams will ALWAYS be an Albion legend in my eyes for the way he transformed this club from the joke it had become. He pulled us up by our jockstraps and finally, after years of decline, gave us a team to be proud of - the backbone of which took us up through two divisons and into the Championship. After he'd left for Leicester, he still went to the trouble of coming back down here and taking part in the march along the seafront in support of Falmer.

His second spell here was an unmitigated disaster, there's obviously no denying that. But it doesn't wipe out his achievements with us the first time round as far as I'm concerned. He was the man which gave this club back its self respect after two years of finishing 91st.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Adams will ALWAYS be an Albion legend in my eyes for the way he transformed this club from the joke it had become. He pulled us up by our jockstraps and finally, after years of decline, gave us a team to be proud of - the backbone of which took us up through two divisons and into the Championship. After he'd left for Leicester, he still went to the trouble of coming back down here and taking part in the march along the seafront in support of Falmer.

His second spell here was an unmitigated disaster, there's obviously no denying that. But it doesn't wipe out his achievements with us the first time round as far as I'm concerned. He was the man which gave this club back its self respect after two years of finishing 91st.

spot on, second spell he had lost the plot abit, but cant belive people are slaging him off so much.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

This stuff about giving us back our self-respect is a bit of a myth. Nobby Horton was the guy who dragged us up from the bottom - remember, when he left we were on the fringes of the play-off places and it the brief reign of Jeff Wood undid nearly all of Nobby's good work. But we were already a club that had recovered its self-respect when Micky took over - although he took us one stage further.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This stuff about giving us back our self-respect is a bit of a myth. Nobby Horton was the guy who dragged us up from the bottom - remember, when he left we were on the fringes of the play-off places and it the brief reign of Jeff Wood undid nearly all of Nobby's good work. But we were already a club that had recovered its self-respect when Micky took over - although he took us one stage further.

Indeed. Lets not forget that in Adams FIRST full season we finished 10th or something.

Interesting comments from Mayo on the Albion roar, Adams had built a good team spirit (but with Oatway, Cullip, Dodge, Chippy etc) how could it not be?

That aside one thing that resonated...Adams was very much a run, run and run again type. Kerry told the story of how they lost a game away (Scunthorpe?) and Adams had them in at 9am the next day after getting home about 3am or they had to play in the reserves at Bristol or something.

We lost the next game as well so it didnt work, however Adams then said to the players "well you can do it your way then"....they promptly went on that 14 game unbeaten run finishing just o/s the playoffs. Go figure. You could argue that team almost managed itself.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Horton started the turnaround but in fairness the only way WAS up at that stage. Respectability for a club like ours was promotion, and Adams forged the side that managed it. And let's bear in mind the Albion have spent some serious dosh in assembling the present squad but Adams spent only £100K in total in assembling that title-winning side. For those who say he was lucky to get Zamora, he had enough good judgement and balls to spend all the money we had on the lad. If he'd have got that call wrong the next 3 seasons could have turned out very much worse for the club.

I bet Horton regrets leaving the Albion for Port Vale. It was a bloody stupid career move.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Horton started the turnaround but in fairness the only way WAS up at that stage. Respectability for a club like ours was promotion, and Adams forged the side that managed it. And let's bear in mind the Albion have spent some serious dosh in assembling the present squad but Adams spent only £100K in total in assembling that title-winning side. For those who say he was lucky to get Zamora, he had enough good judgement and balls to spend all the money we had on the lad. If he'd have got that call wrong the next 3 seasons could have turned out very much worse for the club.

I bet Horton regrets leaving the Albion for Port Vale. It was a bloody stupid career move.

he did spend slightly more than 100k, he paid 50k for cullip(bargin) and 25k for watson and oatway(even bigger bargin)

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Thankyou........I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that it was Horton that finally stopped the rot. I think his words were, when he took charge....'we have too many players here who are used to losing'.

Mickey Adams did well in his first spell, but let's not forget his first season , with God knows how many dross players he signed, with one of the biggest budgets in the division.......and budget means, the players salaries, not transfer fees.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Agree with you to a point, but the fact remains that it was Adams who brought in the nucleus of the team which took us out of the basement and up into the Championship. THAT was what gave this club back its self-respect after those wilderness years at the arse-end of the league.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Obviously Horton began the recovery, but by the time Wood had finished with us, we were virtually back where Nobby had picked us up from. But yes, Adams, stayed, delivered and built a side so strong it was largely still in tact 2 divisions later. Superb, and worthy of legendary status.

However, I can't deny that the sheer horror of his second spell has tarnished my memory of him. The fact that he apparently STILL believes he was just not given the time and support in his second spell, just makes him delusional as well as, well crap, these days. The Sheffield Utd appointment was extraordinary, and it can only end in tears, and soon.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

That's highly debatable as at time, apart from Withdean and it's severe limitations, Port Vale were two divisions higher as far as I remember and also, he was an ex vale player (we signed him from there). We can all be clever with the benefit of hindsight but at that time were were not close at all to a better home and were potless.

Thankyou........I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that it was Horton that finally stopped the rot. I think his words were, when he took charge....'we have too many players here who are used to losing'.

Mickey Adams did well in his first spell, but let's not forget his first season , with God knows how many dross players he signed, with one of the biggest budgets in the division.......and budget means, the players salaries, not transfer fees.

Except of course the first action that Adams took, was to clear out all the dead wood he found here that had been left by Horton (loads and loads of loan signings and Wood (ha, I see what I've done there!)

How many players were still at Withdean in 2000 that had played at Pissfield in 1999????

Not many

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I want him to succeed but I loathe the way he tarted his horny wares at the Blunts the minute they flashed him a bit of skirt, reminded me of his quickmarch dumping of us. I suppose if he gets sacked he would have an outside chance of going back to Vale, who seem punctured without him. I bet even a second second chance wouldn't quell an ambition he can't escape.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
His post match interviews during his 2nd tenure were of disinterested bumbling buffoon proportions, I assume he's taking things a bit more seriously at Sheffield United.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Indeed. Lets not forget that in Adams FIRST full season we finished 10th or something.

Interesting comments from Mayo on the Albion roar, Adams had built a good team spirit (but with Oatway, Cullip, Dodge, Chippy etc) how could it not be?

That aside one thing that resonated...Adams was very much a run, run and run again type. Kerry told the story of how they lost a game away (Scunthorpe?) and Adams had them in at 9am the next day after getting home about 3am or they had to play in the reserves at Bristol or something.

We lost the next game as well so it didnt work, however Adams then said to the players "well you can do it your way then"....they promptly went on that 14 game unbeaten run finishing just o/s the playoffs. Go figure. You could argue that team almost managed itself.

That's a bit selective.

He also did say how much he admired and respected Micky, and what a good manager he felt he was. He also felt that Peter Taylor's job was made so much easier by the squad (i.e. Micky's) that he inherited. What he also said off-air was that it wasn't just the on-field play that brought the best out of the players - he was a good man-manager, and the players appreciated that.

I think it's going too far to say Adams was a one-trick pony - he was better than that. But the watchword here is 'was'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I want him to succeed but I loathe the way he tarted his horny wares at the Blunts the minute they flashed him a bit of skirt, reminded me of his quickmarch dumping of us. I suppose if he gets sacked he would have an outside chance of going back to Vale, who seem punctured without him. I bet even a second second chance wouldn't quell an ambition he can't escape.

You can hardly blame him dumping 4th division Vale for Championship (at the moment) Sheff Utd, the team he's always supported. I bet he couldn't quite believe his luck (I can't believe his luck either !).

And as gutted as I was when he left the Albion for Leicester, we were in the 3rd division and they were in the Prem - again, you could hardly blame him. It was a bit of a surprise him going in initially as no2 to Bassett, but he'd clearly been promised the managers job once that season was over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here