Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micheal Owen leaving the Grand with Poyet and Bloom (merged madness)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
http://www.skybet.com/betting/football/transfer-specials/t10003041.html

Skybet have the transfer to Brighton at 2/1

You'd imagine they base their odds on a little bit more than a chat forum or chip shop? I wonder what though? Owen's family all live around him in Cheshire, he has stables up there, would be a surprise move to come so far south for the Championship. He'd still do a job in the premiership IF he were to stay fit.

It's the type of market that could massively hurt the bookies because it's so so open to tip offs etc. Therefore the more money goes on and the more 'general chat' that goes on, the smaller the odds. It's not going to actually happen!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My head says this is possibly the biggest load of shit I have EVER read on here.

My heart says it would be an unbelievable signing. Despite his problems this season, I think he could RAPE Championship defences, given the right service.
Personally I don't think he would be as effective as you suggest. But it would be a statement of intent and would make it easier to attract some proper top drawer players who fancied playing alongside him.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
My head says this is possibly the biggest load of shit I have EVER read on here.

My heart says it would be an unbelievable signing. Despite his problems this season, I think he could RAPE Championship defences, given the right service.

In his prime, obviously. Even when he was a Real and not getting picked, but he has played so little lately, I don't think he'd be very effective, especially against slightly more, er, agricultural players in a lower league who will target him. As a sign if intent yes, but nothing else. We don't even need him for "bums on seats"

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's the type of market that could massively hurt the bookies because it's so so open to tip offs etc. Therefore the more money goes on and the more 'general chat' that goes on, the smaller the odds. It's not going to actually happen!

I can see that, but if that's the case, who on earth is parting with their hard earned readies betting on this transfer? For QPR to be 5/1, Everton or Liverpool 7/1, Bolton 10/1 (a great signing for them and suit where he lives) how much must have been put on Brighton for it to be 2/1!?

There is certainly more to it than simply the money they take, although I appreciate they balance their risk.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I can see that, but if that's the case, who on earth is parting with their hard earned readies betting on this transfer? For QPR to be 5/1, Everton or Liverpool 7/1, Bolton 10/1 (a great signing for them and suit where he lives) how much must have been put on Brighton for it to be 2/1!?

There is certainly more to it than simply the money they take, although I appreciate they balance their risk.

Yep that's all it is - balancing, just in case! God knows how much money they'd loose if it did actually happen!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In his prime, obviously. Even when he was a Real and not getting picked, but he has played so little lately, I don't think he'd be very effective, especially against slightly more, er, agricultural players in a lower league who will target him. As a sign if intent yes, but nothing else. We don't even need him for "bums on seats"

Surely the only doubt would be his fitness? Mr Ferguson was happy to send Wellbeck and Mecheda out on loan on the basis he had Owen to use. Owen has shown at United he has more to his game that just hanging on the shoulder of the last defender. He would terrify the 'agricultural players' in the Championship before they'd even get their boots on.

He would score plenty of goals if he stayed fit, but personally I think the demands of the Championship would be too much. I don't doubt that he would score plenty if he did stay fit though.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
it will be people on here who have bet on him surely? so hands up who has had a flutter? Not me.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
He would terrify the 'agricultural players' in the Championship before they'd even get their boots on.

But one typical agricultural tackle would be all that's needed to put him back in the treatment room. You can bet he would get targetted from kick off, being worth an early yellow card

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
But just imagine it.... oh lordy. I would be banned from Falmer for life for wanking in my seat watching Owen in a Brighton shirt

That's if he gets off the treatment table

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
this is the "Michael,I play one game and then out for 10 games" Owen we are talking about?

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008

*cough* Dwayne'ss black sister?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here