Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Messi leaving Barca - PSG 2 years at €35m net per season

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
If it meant that much to him, for the last few years of his career he could take a pay cut!

Messi offered to take a pay cut of 50% which is the maximum allowed under Spanish employment law. But even if he stayed and played for free (which wouldn't be allowed) Barcelona would still need to cut their salary bill by another 25%. It's about a lot more than just him, and it's no surprise they were so desperate for the Super League.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
My understanding is that Barca cant sign anybody until they bring their wages under the La Liga cap, so even if he offered to play for free they wouldn't be allowed to register him. I think both Barca and Messi will wait til the end of the window, if Barca have got enough players out to get under the wage cap he will re-sign.

Could be a good time to be trying to sign attacking options from Barca, but not Martin Braithewaite, they can keep him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I guess you say the same thing about Lewis Dunk then? Just staying because he is afraid of trying something else. Just like Paolo Maldini, Francesco Totti, Paul Scholes etc - I guess you think all of them just stayed because they never wanted to challenge themselves?

That's possibly the first – and only – time that Lewis Dunk will be compared to Messi :lolol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If it meant that much to him, for the last few years of his career he could take a pay cut!

Except he couldnt take more of a paycut than he tried to because of:

Messi offered to take a pay cut of 50% which is the maximum allowed under Spanish employment law. But even if he stayed and played for free (which wouldn't be allowed) Barcelona would still need to cut their salary bill by another 25%. It's about a lot more than just him, and it's no surprise they were so desperate for the Super League.

The guy has been fleecing that club and its fans for years. Chickens coming home to roost. I feel nothing for him or his Dad who should have asked for less a long time ago.

#Greed

He pretty much paid for himself - prize money, sponsorship, merchandise. Others didnt.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

He pretty much paid for himself - prize money, sponsorship, merchandise. Others didnt.

His wages for the last 4 years alone were £492m. That's £2.3m a week.

Hell of a lot of shirts etc.. to cover that.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
His wages for the last 4 years alone were £492m. That's £2.3m a week.

Hell of a lot of shirts etc.. to cover that.

It's been estimated his presence there is (was) responsible for a third of their revenue, being linked directly to sponsorship deals etc.

Obviously not all shirts, but 80% sold had his name on them.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
No, keep it in your pocket Tony!

I know it won't happen, but I would absolutely love it (and it would be a wonderful move for football as a whole, with the money just getting ......... just getting? - already got! - stupid) of Messi's agent was now to go round all the big clubs to get just the same answer - "Yes, he's good we know - but at that price, stroll on". It wouldn't hurt Messi - he's well-minted for life (and probably his agent is too), but if the guy wants to play football for the next few years he can, of course he can, but not getting paid £millions a year.

Sadly it won't happen. If not Barcelona, then some other stupid club will offer him a multi million pound signing on fee and a £10M-£20M a year contract for five years. Whoever does it, I would honestly be happy to see them go bust and cease to exist, and that's a terrible thing to wish on any football club - but if it stopped, or at least put a break on the gravy train that the likes of Messi are draining from football, then so be it.

The plot thickens..... With only a small handful of clubs who could in theory take on his wage demands...... Barcelona have filed a formal complaint to try and block him going to PSG as they cite that would also be a clear breach of FFP by PSG.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/lionel-messi-psg-transfer-barcelona-b1899315.html

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Feels a bit bad when a one-club man is forced to leave because some criminal ex-president ****ed up their club. Sad situation really.

Can't feel sorry for someone worth hundreds of millions for kicking a ball (all be it very well) while his club and others consume themselves with greed

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Can't feel sorry for someone worth hundreds of millions for kicking a ball (all be it very well) while his club and others consume themselves with greed

While I see what you mean I just like the concept of one club players, and that the best player of all time deserve a better ending to his long one club tenure than getting forced away due to the former president being a crook. Shouldnt end like that.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Agree and the whole ESL fiasco, was a desperate power play to try and cover this exorbitant largesse and greed by selling out fans and real competition, so the gravy train could keep on rolling

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
While I see what you mean I just like the concept of one club players, and that the best player of all time deserve a better ending to his long one club tenure than getting forced away due to the former president being a crook. Shouldnt end like that.

Well, it's partly his (or maybe more his father/agent's fault). He could play anywhere he wants, just about - except he/his father won't just say never mind the money. we don't need it - Lionel just wants to play football.
The word that seems to be coming out of the Messi camp is that he's a good guy who just wants to carry on playing football. So come on, Lionel - prove it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Hasn’t this all happened because he was sulking about leaving and refused to sign a new deal last season so they have to re-register this season?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Hasn’t this all happened because he was sulking about leaving and refused to sign a new deal last season so they have to re-register this season?

Yes. If he had signed before becoming a free agent this could have been avoided. However I just have a feeling barca did this as an easy way to get the biggest wage off the books and make it look like they tried to keep him. One moment Laporta (or whatever it is) says its not possible to keep Messi financially as they need to protect barca for the next 50 years...next minute they say it's La Liga's rules stopping from signing.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Yes. If he had signed before becoming a free agent this could have been avoided. However I just have a feeling barca did this as an easy way to get the biggest wage off the books and make it look like they tried to keep him. One moment Laporta (or whatever it is) says its not possible to keep Messi financially as they need to protect barca for the next 50 years...next minute they say it's La Liga's rules stopping from signing.

My thoughts exactly. Barca stiffed Messi and La Liga and came out with a clean bill of health and partially resolved their financial issues

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Well, it's partly his (or maybe more his father/agent's fault). He could play anywhere he wants, just about - except he/his father won't just say never mind the money. we don't need it - Lionel just wants to play football.
The word that seems to be coming out of the Messi camp is that he's a good guy who just wants to carry on playing football. So come on, Lionel - prove it.

Indeed, if he wants to stay in the city, i'm not sure Espanyol would be breaking any rules signing him on a free and paying him the average wage of the rest of their squad, there you go Lionel, you dont even need to move home and can still earn a decent wage :thumbsup:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

For the past four years he has cost Barca somewhere in the region of half a billion pounds and scored 115 goals.

That's about £5m per goal. Not a particularly good return.

The guy has rode the gravy train and it has been a comfortable ride for him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For the past four years he has cost Barca somewhere in the region of half a billion pounds and scored 115 goals.

As mentioned elsewhere, shirt sales kick all that higher than Ulloa's penalty.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

He has also made Barca somewhere around what he cost.

But this is leading nowhere. Its just the usual English jealousy about the best players in the world usually opting to play in other leagues.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He has also made Barca somewhere around what he cost.

But this is leading nowhere. Its just the usual English jealousy about the best players in the world usually opting to play in other leagues.

Yep, well said.

Bit of a lack of understanding about the situation too. Him playing for nothing, as well as being completely unrealistic and something he shouldn’t have to do, is legally not possible and would not have helped their financial situation anyway.

I have a lot of sympathy for Messi and the Barca fans with this and personally I think it’s a real shame he’s left. Totally let down by a corrupt and incompetent former president.

From a purely football point of view though, I am intrigued and looking forward to seeing him play with Neymar and Mbappe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here