Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Messi leaving Barca - PSG 2 years at €35m net per season

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Rich man cries, rich man signs new contract for new oil men making rich man eh....richer

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Shirt sales and impact short appearances, how many teams in the EPL have regular starters his age.
One hell of a luxury if you ask me.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
I agree, imagine only being offered £250k a week ? I'm not sure how someone with millions in the bank could survive on that. He's got mouths to feed.

He’s being paid over €1 million a week. Radio 6 saying €60 million a year. €35 million is probably net of taxes.

How the hell are PSG getting away with this? Neymar on €600k plus and Mbappe on over €300k a week (possibly also reported net)? That’s €2m a week on three players, before bonus structures in a league where TV rights are small.

Their wages were €405m against a turnover of €541m the season before last. That is just under 75% pre-Messi.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Its probably not the best league at this moment due to lots of players leaving as a result of covid crashing the Spanish football economy. But it certainly has been for most of his spell there. Its not just Real Madrid / Barcelona - other teams frequently beat the shit out of English teams in the Europa League and friendlies. The Premier League is more hyped and got more money and more expensive players, but yet again and again when English and Spanish teams meet it appears that the random Jose or Javier no one has heard of is equally good as those expensive names gathered across the world.

Messi has proven he is capable of destroying English teams, over and over again. They might be "tougher" and "more physical" - maybe - but Messi has destroyed them over and over again. In 34 games against English teams - all of them top teams - Messi scored 26 goals and 6 assists. I doubt anyone, in the PL or outside it, got a record anywhere near that. Yet I'm supposed to believe that he couldnt deal with Shane Duffy?

England is the only place in the world where people even discuss on whether he could dominate in the PL. It was the same thing about Zlatan Ibrahimovic before he casually scored four against England and then carried a shite United team to a second place in the PL.

While money certainly played a role in his decision, and that would also have been the case if he went to your preferred destination, I dont think its the only reason - he also wants to win things, and the chances of doing that alongside Neymar (who by the way would also be decent in the PL) and Mbappe looks pretty good.

I agree with your comments on Messi but will take issue with the bit in bold and the conclusion you draw over English & Spanish club standards. Firstly, English and Spanish clubs have traditionally been closely matched - in European competition, the all time record is Pl 335 Eng 108 Draw 95 Spa 132

http://www.eurocupshistory.com/matc...gland_against_spain_in_uefa_club_competitions

That small difference in favour of Spain can be at least partly explained by attitude differences to UEFA's secondary competition. In England, no club takes the Europa League anything like as seriously as Premier league performance until they reach the final 8 or 16. This is because the riches of the PL vastly outweigh the secondary competition which isn't the case in Spain where the distribution of wealth across teams in the top division is grotesquely skewed towards 2 clubs (4 at most) because Spanish teams are allowed to negotiate their own TV deals. Just look at the difference:
Spain: The top two earned twice as much in TV revenue as the 5th richest club!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbym...teams-receive-record-payouts/?sh=189e45c427ab
England: The top club earned twice as much in TV revenue as the BOTTOM club!
https://www.statista.com/statistics...ments-to-clubs-in-the-english-premier-league/

And why are you talking about friendlies as if they are any sort of barometer? They mean absolutely f**k all. On the other hand, you talk about how the PL has the most money and expensive players, but won't accept that those expensive players are on average better than those that cost less playing in another league. That's just dumb.

The English clubs have more money but are generally not better as we saw first hand at the weekend.
Not saying you're right or wrong but you really shouldn't take friendlies at all seriously. They are totally meaningless.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
And yet they only won the cup last year. The question is can Pochettino build a balanced team with those players, individuals will win you games occasionally but good teams will always win the trophies.

Oh I quite agree. Plus there's the added "It's PSG, lads" element where whoever pulls on the shirt suddenly becomes just a little bit spineless and prone to bottling it in big moments. Still can't wait to see what they do this year though.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I agree with your comments on Messi but will take issue with the bit in bold and the conclusion you draw over English & Spanish club standards. Firstly, English and Spanish clubs have traditionally been closely matched - in European competition, the all time record is Pl 335 Eng 108 Draw 95 Spa 132

http://www.eurocupshistory.com/matc...gland_against_spain_in_uefa_club_competitions

That small difference in favour of Spain can be at least partly explained by attitude differences to UEFA's secondary competition. In England, no club takes the Europa League anything like as seriously as Premier league performance until they reach the final 8 or 16. This is because the riches of the PL vastly outweigh the secondary competition which isn't the case in Spain where the distribution of wealth across teams in the top division is grotesquely skewed towards 2 clubs (4 at most) because Spanish teams are allowed to negotiate their own TV deals. Just look at the difference:
Spain: The top two earned twice as much in TV revenue as the 5th richest club!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbym...teams-receive-record-payouts/?sh=189e45c427ab
England: The top club earned twice as much in TV revenue as the BOTTOM club!
https://www.statista.com/statistics...ments-to-clubs-in-the-english-premier-league/

And why are you talking about friendlies as if they are any sort of barometer? They mean absolutely f**k all. On the other hand, you talk about how the PL has the most money and expensive players, but won't accept that those expensive players are on average better than those that cost less playing in another league. That's just dumb.

Not saying you're right or wrong but you really shouldn't take friendlies at all seriously. They are totally meaningless.

I agree with you there totally about friendlies, it was just a useful recent reference point. What we saw on Saturday was a very well coached, decent side and there are a lot of these in the Spanish, German, Italian and French leagues generally. I see a lot of English fans mocking the foreign leagues - farmers league etc - and in my opinion it's misguided.

The main reason for it is, despite the clubs here being a lot richer, these leagues managers and coaches are generally still a long way ahead of ours and that's why we have so many foreign managers in this country. We're getting better but still have a long way to go.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Part of his wage structure if to be funded from crypto fan tokens.

Lionel Messi's PSG financial package includes payment in crypto fan tokens - report

https://www.forexlive.com/cryptocur...ncludes-payment-in-crypto-fan-tokens-20210812

Reuters reports on the matter, citing a source close to the situation ;

Well, just about everyone wants to cash in on the cryptocurrency hype these days and in this case, PSG is no exception to that. If this isn't meant to generate more buzz or publicity from the French club, then I don't even know what is it really.

Messi is set to earn $41 million a year as part of his two-year contract with PSG so what's a couple of fan tokens to him really when you think about it.

PSG's chief partnership officer is reportedly out with a statement:

"PSG's involvement with Socios.com on PSG fan tokens have been a great success and has generated revenues. The deal will allow PSG to diversify its revenue sources and further develop its brand across the world."

According to CMC, the price of PSG fan tokens shot up from around $22 on 6 August to a high just above $61 on 10 August amid all the speculation about Messi's arrival.

Fan tokens are a growing thing among sports teams and the gaming community, so this is largely to create more awareness surrounding that and inadvertently an effort to try and "pump" the price brand value up surely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here