Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Messi leaving Barca - PSG 2 years at €35m net per season

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
For the past four years he has cost Barca somewhere in the region of half a billion pounds and scored 115 goals.

That's about £5m per goal. Not a particularly good return.

The guy has rode the gravy train and it has been a comfortable ride for him.

But "directly and indirectly responsible for 30% of Barça’s income" according to research.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
He has also made Barca somewhere around what he cost.

But this is leading nowhere. Its just the usual English jealousy about the best players in the world usually opting to play in other leagues.

Don't resort to xenophobia just because you disagree.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yep, well said.

Bit of a lack of understanding about the situation too. Him playing for nothing, as well as being completely unrealistic and something he shouldn’t have to do, is legally not possible and would not have helped their financial situation anyway.

I have a lot of sympathy for Messi and the Barca fans with this and personally I think it’s a real shame he’s left. Totally let down by a corrupt and incompetent former president.

From a purely football point of view though, I am intrigued and looking forward to seeing him play with Neymar and Mbappe.

I'm fully aware fo that.

My comments relate to previous contract values that his father negotiated.

Now he's in tears.

#Greed

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
But "directly and indirectly responsible for 30% of Barça’s income" according to research.

Will be interesting to see barca's revenue over the next couple of years. I'm always a bit suspicious of these kind of stats because it gets banded around as fact and nobody questions it. Who did the research, for what purpose and what assumptions did they make for the indirect income?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Damn, does this mean BHA have missed out on getting Messi. :(

Really shows a lack of ambition from the club if we can't even get that free transfer over the line....

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
He went with the money

No surprise there then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
He went with the money

No surprise there then

Predictably dull. It is indeed entirely unsurprising, but it's also a real shame he didn't opt for something more romantic when he patently doesn't need the money. Still, I guess with these global megastars, it's as much about their 'people' getting their share as it is the icon themselves.

Can't wait to see how he gets on testing himself against the likes of Clermont Foot and Reims...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He went with the money

No surprise there then

Predictably dull. It is indeed entirely unsurprising, but it's also a real shame he didn't opt for something more romantic when he patently doesn't need the money. Still, I guess with these global megastars, it's as much about their 'people' getting their share as it is the icon themselves.

Can't wait to see how he gets on testing himself against the likes of Clermont Foot and Reims...

Well, where would he go unless to one of the best teams in the world?

As for testing himself, he has played in the best league (La Liga) and best competition (the Champions League) for plenty of years and been dominant in both.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

As for testing himself, he has played in the best league (La Liga) and best competition (the Champions League) for plenty of years and been dominant in both.

I think it’s questionable whether La Liga is the best league in the world - certainly the lower echelons do not seem to be as competitive as the Premier League. I’d argue he’s gone from the second best league in the world to the fifth.

Perhaps I’m being swayed by my own Englishness, but a reunion with Pep at Man City in a much stronger and more physical league would have been a more interesting move in my opinion. Whenever the the Messi v Ronaldo argument comes up, it’s thrown out there that Ronaldo has done it in England, Spain and Italy. Proving a success in France is going to do little to help the Messi argument in that respect.

The only reason, literally the only reason, Lionel Messi has gone to PSG is money. But that’s endemic of football these days.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Damn, does this mean BHA have missed out on getting Messi. :(

Really shows a lack of ambition from the club if we can't even get that free transfer over the line....

Yeah Bloom. Get your bloody chequebook out and buy bloody Messi, I can't stand this waiting anymore. We are getting rid of everyone and nothing entering the building, wtf is going on

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The only reason, literally the only reason, Lionel Messi has gone to PSG is money. But that’s endemic of football these days.

To live and work in Paris?

To reunite with his friend Neymar?

To play with his Argentina team-mates Icardi, Paredes and Di Maria?

To play for an Argentine manager?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
He has also made Barca somewhere around what he cost.

But this is leading nowhere. Its just the usual English jealousy about the best players in the world usually opting to play in other leagues.

Oh, isn't it the usual snidey comments about BHA fans/the England team/the English leagues from some stalker abroad?

The Prem can be distasteful due to the money advantage it has but imo it's the less attractive (to some) weather and lifestyle that puts off some players coming here rather than the sunny Spanish League being "better".

It's a shame that your impressive football knowledge is let down repeatedly but your seeming distaste for us.

Personally, after English football it's the French league that I enjoy watching most not the Spanish. If I was Bloom it's that league I would be looking in for a new striker.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think it’s questionable whether La Liga is the best league in the world - certainly the lower echelons do not seem to be as competitive as the Premier League. I’d argue he’s gone from the second best league in the world to the fifth.

Perhaps I’m being swayed by my own Englishness, but a reunion with Pep at Man City in a much stronger and more physical league would have been a more interesting move in my opinion. Whenever the the Messi v Ronaldo argument comes up, it’s thrown out there that Ronaldo has done it in England, Spain and Italy. Proving a success in France is going to do little to help the Messi argument in that respect.

Its probably not the best league at this moment due to lots of players leaving as a result of covid crashing the Spanish football economy. But it certainly has been for most of his spell there. Its not just Real Madrid / Barcelona - other teams frequently beat the shit out of English teams in the Europa League and friendlies. The Premier League is more hyped and got more money and more expensive players, but yet again and again when English and Spanish teams meet it appears that the random Jose or Javier no one has heard of is equally good as those expensive names gathered across the world.

Messi has proven he is capable of destroying English teams, over and over again. They might be "tougher" and "more physical" - maybe - but Messi has destroyed them over and over again. In 34 games against English teams - all of them top teams - Messi scored 26 goals and 6 assists. I doubt anyone, in the PL or outside it, got a record anywhere near that. Yet I'm supposed to believe that he couldnt deal with Shane Duffy?

England is the only place in the world where people even discuss on whether he could dominate in the PL. It was the same thing about Zlatan Ibrahimovic before he casually scored four against England and then carried a shite United team to a second place in the PL.

While money certainly played a role in his decision, and that would also have been the case if he went to your preferred destination, I dont think its the only reason - he also wants to win things, and the chances of doing that alongside Neymar (who by the way would also be decent in the PL) and Mbappe looks pretty good.

SAC

May 21, 2014

Fulham. Could have helped to get them promoted and then get them back into Europe. See how good he really is, playing against Millwall on a Tuesday evening.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

It's hard to know how to judge the best league in the world.

This article has picked the following criteria:

Goals per game
Red cards per game
Points difference between first and last
Clubs featuring in European competition

As a result, the Premier League comes top, followed by the Bundesliga and then La Liga.

The French Ligue doesn't make the top ten.

Interestingly, the Championship scores a higher goals per game ratio (2.64) than any of the top 10 leagues.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1922780-statistically-ranking-the-worlds-top-10-football-leagues

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Oh, isn't it the usual snidey comments about BHA fans/the England team/the English leagues from some stalker abroad?

The Prem can be distasteful due to the money advantage it has but imo it's the less attractive (to some) weather and lifestyle that puts off some players coming here rather than the sunny Spanish League being "better".

It's a shame that your impressive football knowledge is let down repeatedly but your seeming distaste for us.

England is poor/distasteful in some senses, Sweden in some, Spain in some and so on. As I see it, just because I'm a foreigner visiting this primarly English board doesnt mean I need to shove a bowl of fish & sticks in my arse while stroking myself to pictures of the Queen.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
To live and work in Paris?

To reunite with his friend Neymar?

To play with his Argentina team-mates Icardi, Paredes and Di Maria?

To play for an Argentine manager?
Yep agree his mates are there and why would you want to live in the north of England when you could live in Paris? I suspect that has to be one of the main reasons. Life's too short.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Will be interesting to see barca's revenue over the next couple of years. I'm always a bit suspicious of these kind of stats because it gets banded around as fact and nobody questions it. Who did the research, for what purpose and what assumptions did they make for the indirect income?

I think some of it was from talking directly to the sponsors themselves. In many cases what they paid was directly related to Messi's involvement and a large discount applied if he wasn't.

Probably a bit of guess work, but you can reasonably entertain from the above (if true) that sponsors will now want to pay less.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here