Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Messi leaving Barca - PSG 2 years at €35m net per season

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You’re right. We’ve got more chance of signing Donald Trump as a replacement for Ben White.

However, in a parallel universe where good things happen to good people, it would happen like this.

Messi would be obsessed with the ultimate challenge. Could he pick any EPL side and lead them to win the league? We’d be the prime candidate for this because we create so many opportunities and defend very well, our Xg would turn from -20 to +20, that would put us up there with Man City. Funding this would be tricky, our global merch sales would go off the chart as Messi navigated us to our first Premier League title, he would need a big cut of the that pie in addition to the White money split over two seasons (£25m per annum) and a generous portion of shares in the club.

This is an improbable dream though, I’m off to buy my new Trump card and see if he’s available in the hope that he solves our distribution and ball carrying needs from defence to attack next season with top level pace to make those last ditch tackles.
I think the whole point about trump cards is they have to be dealt, not bought!

Sometimes a big splash with no return might be justified - for instance, Giroud for a £10M signing on fee, two years on £50K a week so as not to break our pay structure (equal to £5M over the two years) and a £10M Golden Handshake (Total £25M) could have been a good deal, even though there'd be no sell on value - but not at Messi levels of, frankly, obscenity.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
But who will pay that kind of money? Chelski, Man City or PSG? They all happen to be owned by a country or its former resources.

It’s nice that these owners see the progress of their pet projects as more important than the welfare of their communities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Obviously you'd need the player to be fully on board but for a smaller club, such as ours, to sign Messi I do wonder if it would change the status of the club forever. The commercial side would go ballistic.

The complete opposite is it all becomes a circus and destroys the fabric of the club.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Obviously you'd need the player to be fully on board but for a smaller club, such as ours, to sign Messi I do wonder if it would change the status of the club forever. The commercial side would go ballistic.

The complete opposite is it all becomes a circus and destroys the fabric of the club.

I think back to the Middlesbrough team of the mid-nineties, with the likes of Juninho, Branco and Fabrizio Ravanelli amidst their ranks. Exciting times on Teesside, and yet they got relegated (although that probably says as much about Bryan Robson's managerial skills as it does about signing superstars at traditionally unfashionable clubs).

Seems nailed on to me that he'll end up at PSG, which would surely have to rank as the most unromantic transfer of all time, wouldn't it?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Definitely gonna be PSG. Messi has plenty of mates there and can you really see his family moving to the north of England!! .... Not gonna happen.

PSG then retirement in Miami.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Yep, he’s never fancied the PL, too much of a hot climate lover, which is why I doubt he’ll go to PSG either. He’ll either stay at Barca (most likely) or go to the MLS.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Even with Messi off the wage bill they are down to 95% wages, need to get it down to 75% I think it is before they can sign players on.

I must admit his 'tears' were slightly laughable, you'd think a club that has given him everything in his career in such a situation that perhaps he'd be slightly more flexible around his wages etc and try to sort something out. But no he's going to see the end of his career out at other moneybags team PSG....

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Even with Messi off the wage bill they are down to 95% wages, need to get it down to 75% I think it is before they can sign players on.

I must admit his 'tears' were slightly laughable, you'd think a club that has given him everything in his career in such a situation that perhaps he'd be slightly more flexible around his wages etc and try to sort something out. But no he's going to see the end of his career out at other moneybags team PSG....

I am reading that Spanish law says that no one can accept a contract with more than a 50% pay cut. If true this is the lowest he could have accepted.

Really struggling to have much sympathy though. He has done well out of Barca while they have played their part in ****ing football up.

I still wish all these clubs gambling with their billions would **** off and make their Superleague. Take all the mercenaries with them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Feels a bit bad when a one-club man is forced to leave because some criminal ex-president ****ed up their club. Sad situation really.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Their transfer policy has been a total shambles for years. Throwing money around like its no object, who do they think they are - Real Madrid?

It's extremely sad for Messi but I think he'll be back. He'll play for PSG for two years and then return to Barcelona to finish his career.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Feels a bit bad when a one-club man is forced to leave because some criminal ex-president ****ed up their club. Sad situation really.

Hardly a sob story on any level, Messi knows he has a lot of power at Barca, has never challenged himself outside of the safety of ‘The House of Messi’ (Camp Nou). He’s wealthy beyond his needs, will be good for him to get out of his bubble and experience the wider world. Same with the Argentina national team, a safe space for him. That said, with his introverted personality I can understand why he has played his career the way he has and how daunting stepping outside it may be.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
God, I so feel for him.

I mean, being forced to leave because you are asking for too much money at 34 years of age. It's terrible for him. I so hope he gets a job soon, otherwise how is the poor love going to survive?

#Greed

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hardly a sob story on any level, Messi knows he has a lot of power at Barca, has never challenged himself outside of the safety of ‘The House of Messi’ (Camp Nou). He’s wealthy beyond his needs, will be good for him to get out of his bubble and experience the wider world. Same with the Argentina national team, a safe space for him. That said, with his introverted personality I can understand why he has played his career the way he has and how daunting stepping outside it may be.

I guess you say the same thing about Lewis Dunk then? Just staying because he is afraid of trying something else. Just like Paolo Maldini, Francesco Totti, Paul Scholes etc - I guess you think all of them just stayed because they never wanted to challenge themselves?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
God, I so feel for him.

I mean, being forced to leave because you are asking for too much money at 34 years of age. It's terrible for him. I so hope he gets a job soon, otherwise how is the poor love going to survive?

#Greed

If you read up on what happened, this is clearly not the case.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Messi always seemed to me like a decent sort. But then so did Ronaldo, so what do I know? Bit of a shock to the system to be abruptly discarded. But he's 34 years old. No player goes on forever. Apart from Zlatan obviously. Zlatan goes on forever. Now THERE'S an absolute monster. Monstrous skill, monstrous ego. Despite being Swedish :moo:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I guess you say the same thing about Lewis Dunk then? Just staying because he is afraid of trying something else. Just like Paolo Maldini, Francesco Totti, Paul Scholes etc - I guess you think all of them just stayed because they never wanted to challenge themselves?

Not at all. Everyone’s story is very different. You of all people should know that. You apparently have no comprehension of Messi whatsoever, making those irrelevant comparisons.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If you read up on what happened, this is clearly not the case.

The guy has been fleecing that club and its fans for years. Chickens coming home to roost. I feel nothing for him or his Dad who should have asked for less a long time ago.

#Greed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here