Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McLeish wants McGhee as new Scotland Manager

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
He'd be a good pick as Scottish national manager.Decent bloke,good at his job and not McClaren.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Which would suggest the players weren't good enough or experienced enough and lumping all the blame on the manager/s is harsh in the extreme.

Budget is the main reason, slowly being saved by the blooming of the young players from the youth set up would be my take.

As a manager, don't you have to work with what's available to you, but McGhee seemed intent on doing the opposite, his manner towards his players was to almost treat them with contempt, how can you go out and say about the strikers at the club that "I have no strikers here" yet had players like Knight, McCammon, and CKR (now playing champions league football after leaving a first div club as not good enough for the premiership!) His habit of falling out with players and failing to get the best out of them shows to me at least that McGhee is a poor man manager, coupled with bizarre tactics (taking off strikers for defenders when losing in a must win match, long, high ball to a 5ft 3 isolated striker)

Under Coppell we used to pass the ball around and play some decent football, like we did under Adams, but McGhee abandoned that in favor of long ball tactics, so not playing to our strengths.

With McGhee I felt he was more afraid of losing the game than actually trying to win the match, and had no faith in the personnel he had available to him

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
and then he went and did THIS.....

But it didnt matter so it was OK

Football League Championship - KO 19:45
Luton 3 (2) - 0(0) Brighton
Howard 17
Feeney 44
Robinson 62

At Kenilworth Road on 28-12-2005

Luton: Beresford ,Foley ,Underwood ,Heikkinen ,Coyne ,Brkovic (Morgan ,70 ) ,Robinson ,Nicholls ,Edwards ,Howard (Vine ,76 ) ,Feeney (Showunmi ,76)
Subs not used: Brill,Barnett,

Brighton: Kuipers ,El-Abd ,Mayo (Knight ,58 ) ,McShane ,Butters ,Hart ,Hammond ,Carpenter ,Carole ,McCammon (Frutos ,58 ) ,Turienzo (Kazim-Richards ,43)
Subs not used Reid,Chaigneau,

Bookings: Underwood (Luton) El-Abd ,Kazim-Richards (Brighton)

Attendance: 9429

Referee: Anthony Bates (Staffordshire)
that was the day he totally lost it big time!

after 2 wins for the 1st time in yonks he totally changed (or rebuilt in us words) and put 2 strikers upfront who not only had never played togeather,one was a south american who he gave his 1st start to in the snow

he thought we would beat millwall and we all know what happened next ! ! !

he has always been alright with other peoples teams any millwall fan will tell you that

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Next Permanent Scotland Manager

Jock Wee Bit Silly 2/1

William Wallace 5/2

Rab C Nesbit 3/1

Gordon Jackson 6/1

Graeme Souness 8/1

Ally Mc Coist 8/1

Tommy Burns 12/1

Jim Jeffries 12/1

John Collins 16/1

Joe Jordan 16/1

George Burley 16/1

Terry Venables 20/1

Kenny Dalglish 20/1

Jimmy Calderwood 20/1

George Graham 20/1

Colin Calderwood 20/1

Mark Mc Ghee 25/1

David Moyes 25/1

Walter Smith 33/1

Steve Clarke 33/1

Maurice Malpas 33/1

Alex Miller 33/1

Kevin Keegan 40/1

John Hughes 40/1

Archie Knox 40/1

Martin Jol 50/1

Jim Fleeting 66/1

Craig Brown 66/1

Colin Hendry 66/1

Alex Ferguson 66/1

Phil Scolari 100/1

Paul Le Guen 100/1

Martin O' Neill 100/1

Jose Mourinho 100/1

I have had a little punt ..................

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If he gets it will a certain argus sports reporter be getting a job at the scottish sun news paper? reporting on the national side? and golf courses around scotland! might even be able to get a membership at st andrews!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Gordon Ramsay would do a better job than MAgoo

I wouldn't wish that on the Scottish players

and neither would GOrdon Ramsay I suspect

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
To be fair mcghee has a shelf life of about 2 years at club level before he loses the plot, bearing in mind national managers are part time effectively he may do prettty well....to begin with anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here