Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McLeish wants McGhee as new Scotland Manager

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Part of what cost us was the number of players that were shipped out due to fallings out and so forth. Now some of them (Knight and McCammon had to go), but the manner in which some of the falling out was done, via the Argus, must have had a negative effect with the remaining players.

Can't have done much for team spirit. I still think McGhee was a good manager but he did make some very strange decisions and didn't deal with things aswell as he could. Wilkins seems to have really made the team play for each other again which we were missing near the end of McGhees time.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Can't have done much for team spirit. I still think McGhee was a good manager but he did make some very strange decisions and didn't deal with things aswell as he could. Wilkins seems to have really made the team play for each other again which we were missing near the end of McGhees time.

Agree with the Wilkins sentiment.

With McGhee the problem seems to be when he starts to build his own side, which has not happened at Motherwell yet. So maybe international management might be OK for him as he cannot sign players.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
That is your thoughts on it, do not agree with all of it, but heh ho.

I still think he is a poor manager.

Wilkins seems to be taking things in the correct direction, but it will take time as he was left a bit of a mess.

I don't think that the facts back your argument up but will ignore that. Do you not think that a lot of the problems stemmed from Falmer being called in. At that time (late October) everything was really positive attitude at the club.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Any manager that plays such negative football (for a great striker in his playing days too) will be a bad choice.

Scotland had built up some credit with the football world for their spirited performances and getting results aginst the odd. I think there is no way McGhee can get them to play for each other like that - especially after the blow of loosing McGliesh

Also any manager that falls out and embarresses his players in public does not deserve a high profile job, especially when he blames players when he has played them out of position

And saying a game doesnt matter to the Scottish public would just cause carnage!!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think that the facts back your argument up but will ignore that. Do you not think that a lot of the problems stemmed from Falmer being called in. At that time (late October) everything was really positive attitude at the club.

The facts are, that although he lost members of the squad, he was given a budget to work within, he had more money to spend than most managers and yet we went down in spectacualy bad fashion. The issue with the Falmer decision did not help, at that time we were drawing a lot of games, the problem was from January those draws became defeats.

However things seemed to go wrong around February 2005, when we looked fairly safe and then lost 6 or 7 on the spin to fall into the relegation battle, which we survived, but our form has not really recovered until this season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
, which we survived, but our form has not really recovered until this season.

Which would suggest the players weren't good enough or experienced enough and lumping all the blame on the manager/s is harsh in the extreme.

Budget is the main reason, slowly being saved by the blooming of the young players from the youth set up would be my take.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Which would suggest the players weren't good enough or experienced enough and lumping all the blame on the manager/s is harsh in the extreme.

Budget is the main reason, slowly being saved by the blooming of the young players from the youth set up would be my take.

The players were not good enough at times, but he was given money to spend, but did not use it as well as maybe he should have.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The players were not good enough at times, but he was given money to spend, but did not use it as well as maybe he should have.

Or was allowed to, Turienzo being the prime example of chairmen doing what they shouldn't. That was most of the budget taken care of, thanks DK. Taking the youth team manager of Arsenal's opinion over your own manager's is not a great move.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Or was allowed to, Turienzo being the prime example of chairmen doing what they shouldn't. That was most of the budget taken care of, thanks DK.

Turienzo was the odd one, but he still brough in CKR, the 3 French lads, Dodd, Henderson and McShane on loan.

All of which should have added to the squad, but in reality the only one that performed on a consistent basis was McShane.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Or was allowed to, Turienzo being the prime example of chairmen doing what they shouldn't. That was most of the budget taken care of, thanks DK. Taking the youth team manager of Arsenal's opinion over your own manager's is not a great move.

I do agree with that, However does that show him to be weak? why did he not stand up to Knight?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I do agree with that, However does that show him to be weak? why did he not stand up to Knight?

Good point, maybe DK told him the 100k plus wasn't coming out of his budget, when patently it was:lol:

Can't believe I just said that I'll go and wash my mouth out with soap and water now, doubting our leader and supporting McGhee, whatever next..sorry

Last edited:

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
until the last 3 months had us out of the relegation zone

That is wrong, we slipped back into the bottom 3 after a home draw against Burnley on Febuary 1st.
Defeats against Leciester and Crewe that month meant that by the beginning of March i knew we were down.

We were also in the relegation zone for most of the first half of that season aswell! Our win at Palace lifted us of the bottom of the table. You just have to look at all the match reports for that season on the argus website to see we were going to get relegated that season as much as what Rotherham were the previous year!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
according to my diary 1st Feb is 3 months before the end of the season

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
according to my diary 1st Feb is 3 months before the end of the season

Ah yes of course your right, that Stoke game was in April and the were no league games in May.

But we spent alot of the first half of that season in the bottom 3, only just keeping touch with the odd win.

So over the course of the season id imagine we spent more weeks in the drop zone that above it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here