Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McLeish wants McGhee as new Scotland Manager

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
... they are having their best season in the clubs history and were expected to finsih 2nd bottom...

Get your facts right.

'Well WON the Scottish First Division (Premier) in 1932 and finished in the top three for eight consecutive seasons.

They also finished runners-up in 1995.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
On your basis Boothroyd is a failure for Watford as he took them down having taken them up.

I guess Watford's long term plan was to get the TV money, if they stayed up then fine, but if they went down, invest enough in the team that they get up within 2 years (before the parachute money goes).

With McGhee it was clear with the club that staying up was the priority. Now I know he got lumbered with Turienzo and lost a couple of defenders, but he spent more on the squad than any manager since probably Lloyd and yet we were relegated.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I guess Watford's long term plan was to get the TV money, if they stayed up then fine, but if they went down, invest enough in the team that they get up within 2 years (before the parachute money goes).

With McGhee it was clear with the club that staying up was the priority. Now I know he got lumbered with Turienzo and lost a couple of defenders, but he spent more on the squad than any manager since probably Lloyd and yet we were relegated.

He also made a lot more than any manager aswell and got to spend very little of it on replacements.

He kept us up in the first season with a pretty poor side. The second season was disappointing but we were always favourites to get relegated.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
He also made a lot more than any manager aswell and got to spend very little of it on replacements.

He kept us up in the first season with a pretty poor side. The second season was disappointing but we were always favourites to get relegated.

He did make more that is true, but certainly with regards to Harding, the tribunal system had changed, so the club that develops the player is rewarded, opposed to when Robinson went to Charlton, where we were not rewarded for his development.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I guess it is about interpretation. He took us down, when his target was to keep us up. But personally it was not so much the relegation as the manner in which we went down.

FFS :rant:, we went down that season as McGhee did not have financial support from the board, he had to sell all his assets, every player worth any money in McGhee's rein was sold from under him to prop up Falmer. He got us £ 1 500 000 for Virgo which no other manager would have got as he was best buddies with Strachan, he got £ 250000 clear profit for Currie as well and he made an excess in terms of purchases/sales into the millions, he got us promoted in his first season, kept us up in the championship and was shortlisted with 6 other managers as manager of the season and until the last 3 months had us out of the relegation zone in the next season , he then had 3 wins and 3 losses in the next season and was sacked after 3 losses , 2 away from home against the teams who went up in 1st and 2nd place by 1 goal and was sacked, a lack of patience afforded he was not afforded that Wilkins has been with one 6 loss run and 2, 5 loss runs in less than a season. The fact is you will never have a positive word to say and your diatribe is frankly ridiculous and every time you put up your oh so witty " here we go again " post I will try and put the record straight.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
FFS :rant:, we went down that season as McGhee did not have financial support from the board, he had to sell all his assets, every player worth any money in McGhee's rein was sold from under him to prop up Falmer. He got us £ 1 500 000 for Virgo which no other manager would have got as he was best buddies with Strachan, he got £ 250000 clear profit for Currie as well and he made an excess in terms of purchases/sales into the millions, he got us promoted in his first season, kept us up in the championship and was shortlisted with 6 other managers as manager of the season and until the last 3 months had us out of the relegation zone in the next season , he then had 3 wins and 3 losses in the next season and was sacked after 3 losses , 2 away from home against the teams who went up in 1st and 2nd place by 1 goal and was sacked, a lack of patience afforded he was not afforded that Wilkins has been with one 6 loss run and 2, 5 loss runs in less than a season. The fact is you will never have a positive word to say and your diatribe is frankly ridiculous and every time you put up your oh so witty " here we go again " post I will try and put the record straight.

That is your thoughts on it, do not agree with all of it, but heh ho.

I still think he is a poor manager.

Wilkins seems to be taking things in the correct direction, but it will take time as he was left a bit of a mess.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
He did make more that is true, but certainly with regards to Harding, the tribunal system had changed, so the club that develops the player is rewarded, opposed to when Robinson went to Charlton, where we were not rewarded for his development.

Agreed, however even if you discount what we got for Harding he still did very well. £250k for Currie and £1.5 million for Virgo were two very good bits of business.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
As I'm not part of any clique, the fact that my point has totally screwed an argument, is being totally ignored. Thank goodness for that.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Agreed, however even if you discount what we got for Harding he still did very well. £250k for Currie and £1.5 million for Virgo were two very good bits of business.

The Virgo one was a very good bit of business. The Currie one was frustrating, as a lot of our good work that season had come through Currie, but that was the reality.

I personally think the playing side seems to be heading in the right direction now and am do not think McGhee would have been able to do that with what is now there.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked

and then he went and did THIS.....

But it didnt matter so it was OK

Football League Championship - KO 19:45
Luton 3 (2) - 0(0) Brighton
Howard 17
Feeney 44
Robinson 62

At Kenilworth Road on 28-12-2005

Luton: Beresford ,Foley ,Underwood ,Heikkinen ,Coyne ,Brkovic (Morgan ,70 ) ,Robinson ,Nicholls ,Edwards ,Howard (Vine ,76 ) ,Feeney (Showunmi ,76)
Subs not used: Brill,Barnett,

Brighton: Kuipers ,El-Abd ,Mayo (Knight ,58 ) ,McShane ,Butters ,Hart ,Hammond ,Carpenter ,Carole ,McCammon (Frutos ,58 ) ,Turienzo (Kazim-Richards ,43)
Subs not used Reid,Chaigneau,

Bookings: Underwood (Luton) El-Abd ,Kazim-Richards (Brighton)

Attendance: 9429

Referee: Anthony Bates (Staffordshire)

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
As I'm not part of any clique, the fact that my point has totally screwed an argument, is being totally ignored. Thank goodness for that.

Nothing to do with you being part of a clique (neither am I). Just that it was only relevant to US's argument. Made no difference to mine.

Not to mention that he didn't bring anyone in to replace the ones gone out, and alienated players, and played them out of position (inc the proven goalscorer), failed to coax enthusiasm from others, sold some on the cheap, and left his successor VERY little, in the bare bones that remained.

Only by the fact that the youth team manager had some assets to bring into the first team, did we survive as we have. Otherwise we would have needed Peter Taylor and Brian Clough to come in and work a miracle.

oh. ???

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The Virgo one was a very good bit of business. The Currie one was frustrating, as a lot of our good work that season had come through Currie, but that was the reality.

I personally think the playing side seems to be heading in the right direction now and am do not think McGhee would have been able to do that with what is now there.

I agree with both those points, looking back on it the squad looked a bit dessimated (sp) and Wilkins has done very well now he has found his feet.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I agree with both those points, looking back on it the squad looked a bit dessimated (sp) and Wilkins has done very well now he has found his feet.

Part of what cost us was the number of players that were shipped out due to fallings out and so forth. Now some of them (Knight and McCammon had to go), but the manner in which some of the falling out was done, via the Argus, must have had a negative effect with the remaining players.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The Scots don't seem to think so, we are the clowns for getting rid of him
Why, he was clearly past his sell by date, he did well here for a while but true to form decline set in after around 18 months, it has been a similar story throughout his career. Accept it, move on. We have a better manager now anyway.

I'm surprised that even you think he is an international standard manager. But I very much doubt he'll get it, all the odds show is that the bookies aren't really sure and have slashed his odds just in case after he was endorsed by his mate McCleish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here