Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McLaren poised to drop Beckham

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
This is a crap decision, Beckham is a leader even if he isn't a captain. Younger players coming through will still feel inspired by playing alongside or even training alongside players like beckham. I would understand him being dropped for Lennon and to be honest think that would be the right decision but to drop him from the squad totally is crazy imho.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Tooting Gull said:
Utmost respect for Beckham. He knew all this, all these headlines were likely - and could have avoided them by quitting international football at the same time he gave up the captaincy.

But unlike some others he left his hat in the ring simply because he loves playing for his country.

There's a good chance he won't play for England again - but if they ask, he'll play. Top bloke.

I agree i think when he gave up the captaincy he should have retired from international football a La Scholes but whatever you think about Beckam (Good player/bad player.........Team player/marketing icon) he always gave his all..............and don't think the media circus will evaporate with his exclusion from the squad, no, the media will hone in on someone else..........build them up.....Knock them down and treat them worse than a mass murderer!!
Thanks Beckam you were our most consistant match winner over the last 10 years now time to move on:clap2: :clap2: :wave:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Phil Neville and Owen Hargreaves...do they not both play almost exactly the same positions?! Eg Holding midfield, cover for right back with neville as cover for left back, both can play a more defensive right sided midfield position. Why pick them both and drop beckham?

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I can understand dropping Beckham and have advocated this myself in the past (Read any post about Euro 2004 where he was garbage)

Dropping him from the squad altogther though is bizarre. What exactly has SWP done to deserve his place? Has Mclaren been watching him play beach football in Barbados?

As Tooting has said, strikes me that McLaren is making his mark, albeit with the wrong player for most people. This could backfire and fair play to Beckham for the abscence of a hissy fit.

P.S Is Ledley King still Injured - Where is he?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Hannibal smith said:
P.S Is Ledley King still Injured - Where is he?
He's got a different injury, out for a few weeks I think.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Pavilionaire said:
Good selections: Dawson, Richardson, Defoe, Ashton, omitting David James, Campbell.

Bad Selections: Phil Neville, Luke Young, omitting David Beckham.

It's interesting that England's best chance of scoring is from a set-piece, and we've just omitted the best in the world at delivering a cross / free-kick :(

Whilst I wouldn't start with Beckham I'd want him in the squad. He is a solid pro and the fact he's on 94 caps and unburdened by the captaincy are 2 good reasons for half-expecting his form to improve. There is now a hell of a lot of pressure on the shoulders of Lennon and SWP.

Also, the fact that there have been recalls for the Sven discards of Defoe, Bent, Phil Neville, Young and Brown show that this is anything but a new era.

I think Young is a good decision. Quality right back.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am not sure this is going to enamer him with the england fans, after all, if it wasnt for Beckham, we would have gone out in the first rounds of the WC this summer.

At the end of the day, I cannot see lampard being the talisman, beckham has been.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I haven't read all the posts but what's the biggie? It's only a friendly against Greece isn't it? Maybe McClaren is doing what Sven should have done and is actually using the friendlies for experimentation.

I'm sure that come the qualifying games Beckham will be included in the squad(assuming he's fit). Beckham was always very closely linked with Sven so this is probably just McClaren trying to distance himself from Sven's reign. He's his own man and all that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here