Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McLaren poised to drop Beckham

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Kinky Gerbils said:
Clearly I wasnt one of the 3 people or so on here defending him before the World cup.
Who, Hargreaves?

I didn't mean specifically you, I meant the stick in general Lampard is getting from everyone. It's way over the top.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
with joe cole injured I think a fit Beckham will be in the squad and the midfield will be

Gerrard, Lampard, Hargreaves and Lennon

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:
How does bringing Lennon in for Beckham make it more balanced?? Having been to the games at the World Cup, there wasn't a more hard-working midfielder for England than Beckham... and he set up some goals... Press just had it in for Becks

Lennon gave us real penetration when he came on. Yes it was late in the game but personally rather see someone with pace to beat players and get back quickly. However hard Beckham worked he is now off the pace at this level. We will miss his crosses and dead ball skill though I admit.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
It's so frustrating that our midfield four can't function together. On pure ability alone, Gerrard/Lampard/Cole/Beckham are an outstanding midfield four and I would be loathed to drop any of them. However, needs must.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Silent Bob said:
Who, Hargreaves?

I didn't mean specifically you, I meant the stick in general Lampard is getting from everyone. It's way over the top.

Why? he was utter utter gash - didnt do himself any favours in my eyes by coming out and blaming everyone else but himself in his book.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Common as Mook said:
It's so frustrating that our midfield four can't function together. On pure ability alone, Gerrard/Lampard/Cole/Beckham are an outstanding midfield four and I would be loathed to drop any of them. However, needs must.

Thats football, your best players dont always make your best team.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Kinky Gerbils said:
Why? he was utter utter gash - didnt do himself any favours in my eyes by coming out and blaming everyone else but himself in his book.
Yes, he had a shit World Cup. At Euro 2004 he was one of our best players and our joint leading scorer, he was our leading scorer in qualifying for Germany. IF he were to carry on his World Cup form into this season then he'd deserve to be dropped from the squad. But he won't.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Silent Bob said:
Yes, he had a shit World Cup. At Euro 2004 he was one of our best players and our joint leading scorer, he was our leading scorer in qualifying for Germany. IF he were to carry on his World Cup form into this season then he'd deserve to be dropped from the squad. But he won't.

Because everyone will see how great he is doing what ever he likes for Chelsea?
If that was an albion player would you drop him after 5 poor games in a row - thats not including the sub standard pre World cup friendy games.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
They said on the radio today that Beckham is going to be promoting his new 'his & hers' fragrances today, on the day the squad is announced, which kinda sums up the situation really. Whilst Beckham has been a great servant to England and is an outstanding player on his day, he does not really fit in with the formation that we need to play and we have better options. The 'sweet smell of success' may well not come in the shape of an England place anymore.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Kinky Gerbils said:
Because everyone will see how great he is doing what ever he likes for Chelsea?
If that was an albion player would you drop him after 5 poor games in a row - thats not including the sub standard pre World cup friendy games.
Yes I would, from the team. But I wouldn't sell a player who has been ne of our best performers over the last couple of years on a handful of bad games.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think Lampard has been the scapegoat for alot of people.

I'm not going to say his wasn't shit at the world cup, because he was..but he wasn't the only one.

The problem with Lamps is his form dropped in late March, maybe through tiredness and he wasn't able to sort it out b4 the world cup. You don't become a bad player overnight and has been Englands best performer over the past few years.

Would like to see him paired with Hargreaves which i believe would get the best out of him and put Gerrard in Becks place.

1066gull

I couldn't give two shits about England at the moment.

Albion are going up:clap:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I think it is a mistake to discard him at present, he still has something to offer and this will come back to haunt McLaren.

However people I doubt this will open the way for Lennon or Ian Wright's Useless Money Grabbing Adopted Child. All McLaren will do is move Gerrard to the right and play Lampard with either Hargreaves or Parker in the middle (expect to see Scott Parker back in the squad).

Stumpy Tim

Icy Gull said:
Lennon gave us real penetration when he came on. Yes it was late in the game but personally rather see someone with pace to beat players and get back quickly. However hard Beckham worked he is now off the pace at this level. We will miss his crosses and dead ball skill though I admit.

How does that improve the balance though? The problem of balance has been because Gerrard & Lampard in the centre didn't work - I don't see how Lennon playing instead of Beckham solves that.

Lennon or Beckham is a close choice - I don't think there's anything wrong with preferring Lennon. But it does nothing to help the balance of the midfield...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:
How does that improve the balance though? The problem of balance has been because Gerrard & Lampard in the centre didn't work - I don't see how Lennon playing instead of Beckham solves that.

Lennon or Beckham is a close choice - I don't think there's anything wrong with preferring Lennon. But it does nothing to help the balance of the midfield...

Although Lennon was a bright point from the World Cup I do question whether he will be effective as a starter. At present he seems to be a good impact player that will give a full back hell for 30 minutes of the game, so keep him as a sub, for the minute.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
I think that totally discarding Beckham would be incredibly foolish and I don't expect McClaren to do that. Lest we forget one of the biggest criticisms of Ericsson was his waste of friendlies and this squad is for a friendly, so he should try out alternatives to Beckham.

As crap as Lampard was I hope that the World Cup was an aberration and would continue with him alongside Hargreaves ( with Parker tried there as well ). This means McClaren needs to find a place for his vice-captain ( hardly going to leave him out is he, otherwise why give it to him ? ) and I guess that will be on the right.

Then again he ( and Venners ) might not play 4-4-2. Cole and Gerrard as wing-backs ? Who knows.

Stumpy Tim

Sid James said:
I think that totally discarding Beckham would be incredibly foolish and I don't expect McClaren to do that. Lest we forget one of the biggest criticisms of Ericsson was his waste of friendlies and this squad is for a friendly, so he should try out alternatives to Beckham.

As crap as Lampard was I hope that the World Cup was an aberration and would continue with him alongside Hargreaves ( with Parker tried there as well ). This means McClaren needs to find a place for his vice-captain ( hardly going to leave him out is he, otherwise why give it to him ? ) and I guess that will be on the right.

Then again he ( and Venners ) might not play 4-4-2. Cole and Gerrard as wing-backs ? Who knows.

I was just about to write everything you just said.. thanks for saving me the time. Everyone assumes we'll playing 4-4-2. I wouldn't play that at all. IMO with the current injuries (and Rooney suspended for 2 competitive games), the best team would be

Robninson
Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole
Hargreaves
Lennon, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole
Ashton

And with a full squad:

Robinson
Neville, Terry, Ferdinand
Hargreaves (holding)
Beckham (RWB), Gerrard, Lampard, Cole (LWB)
Rooney, Owen

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I'm with Kinky on this one. Beckham was one of the only reasons we got as far as we did in the WC against poor opposition and now he won't even make the squad? Frank Lampard was AWFUL and it looks like he'll be rewarded by securing a guaranteed starting place. This is not progress, it's just replacing one golden boy for another.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Two points:

1. Beckham will be 35 at the next World Cup, i.e. too old to be a regular starter.

2. England need a change of culture where passion, commitment and unity are paramount, and all this bollocks with media stunts, perfumes and WAGs ends.

My team for Greece:

1. Robinson

2. G Neville
3. A Cole
4. Terry
5. Ferdinand

6. Gerrard
7. Hargreaves
8. Lennon
9. Downing

10. Ashton
11. Defoe.

Personally, I think Beckham and Lampard should be benched and Ledley King partner Terry when fit.

Beckham can't run down the right, and he isn't a central midfielder, although his set pieces are world class.

Re Lampard - I've seen enough shit individual and team performances from England in recent times to know Lampard has not been delivering.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here