Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McLaren poised to drop Beckham

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
McClaren has just told a press conference (about Beckham):

"He said he would continue to fight for his place, and I will never close the door on that. It will never be open, er, it will never be closed."

So that's settled then :jester:

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Bollocks to drop Beckham i'm afriad! :nono: :nono:

McLaren says he's moving this squad forward then brings back Phil 'Yes I really am SHIT' Neville! By dropping Becks the stupid **** is just trying to make a point that he's gonna be different to the Swede! :angry:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
McClaren has just told a press conference (about Beckham):

"He said he would continue to fight for his place, and I will never close the door on that. It will never be open, er, it will never be closed."

So that's settled then :jester:

:lolol: :lolol:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
brightonfan_86 said:
I know SWP is a part timer for Chelski, but could it be cover for Joe Cole?

reckon it will take a minor miracle to see downing not playing

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
What a f***ing joke.

Too old you say? What about Neville? New era you say? Why bring back the other Neville?

McLaren OUT!

:angry:

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Uncle Buck said:
It is OK, he will start the season well for Real, there will be a clamour to bring him back. McLaren will give in, bring him back in the hope he fails (Taylor did this with Bryan Robson).

Dont get me wrong im not a huge Beckham fan - and im not sggestin he starts but having Phil "f***ing ****" Neille ahead of him is a joke, Reo Coker I could understand.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good selections: Dawson, Richardson, Defoe, Ashton, omitting David James, Campbell.

Bad Selections: Phil Neville, Luke Young, omitting David Beckham.

It's interesting that England's best chance of scoring is from a set-piece, and we've just omitted the best in the world at delivering a cross / free-kick :(

Whilst I wouldn't start with Beckham I'd want him in the squad. He is a solid pro and the fact he's on 94 caps and unburdened by the captaincy are 2 good reasons for half-expecting his form to improve. There is now a hell of a lot of pressure on the shoulders of Lennon and SWP.

Also, the fact that there have been recalls for the Sven discards of Defoe, Bent, Phil Neville, Young and Brown show that this is anything but a new era.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
A lot was going to be read in to this first squad. The pressure to drop Beckham was enormous, and if Max Clifford had anything to do with it (and let's be honest, he did) that would have been his advice. Drop Eriksson's man, show you're the boss etc etc.

On balance his career is probably over - but much better for ther new boss to drop him for this squad and maybe bring him back, then to include him this time. McClaren would have got slaughtered for that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Skint Gull said:
Bollocks to drop Beckham i'm afriad! :nono: :nono:

McLaren says he's moving this squad forward then brings back Phil 'Yes I really am SHIT' Neville! By dropping Becks the stupid **** is just trying to make a point that he's gonna be different to the Swede! :angry:

Exactly. Just McClaren trying to flex his muscles - 'I'm in charge, and I know my own mind, etc'.

He's made a mistake and made himself look like a prick as far as I am concerned. Every other international manager would love to have Beckham in their squad.

Well done McClaren. Great start. :angry:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Tooting Gull said:
Utmost respect for Beckham. He knew all this, all these headlines were likely - and could have avoided them by quitting international football at the same time he gave up the captaincy.

But unlike some others he left his hat in the ring simply because he loves playing for his country.

There's a good chance he won't play for England again - but if they ask, he'll play. Top bloke.

:clap:

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
When asked if it was the end of Beckhams career his response was hardly encouraging. If anything I felt he was playing up the omission rather than a simple "I'm looking at alternatives, door always open" type response.

I do think he is backing himself into a corner here because despite all the off field pretty boy nonsense the one thing that Beckham always has been is a very resilient, never write me off type of player. This will not just go away and I would imagine ( if this was indeed possible ) that he will be pushing himself even harder in training right now in order to get off to an absolute flyer this season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wise words Tooting. Beckham will be an England LEGEND and has been a superb example to kids all over the country. He has been an excellent ambassador to the game, and a fine player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here