Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McLaren poised to drop Beckham

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4782613.stm

David Beckham's name will be missing when new England manager Steve McClaren names his first squad on Friday.

The 31-year-old, who stepped down as captain in June, had an Achilles injury but returned to action in a friendly for Real Madrid on Thursday.

However, BBC Five Live's Jonathan Legard understands that Beckham will not be in the squad to play Greece in a friendly at Old Trafford on 16 August.

McClaren will announce his backroom staff and squad at 1500 BST.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good move, maybe he's not going to be as bad as I expected then :clap:

Time to build for the future

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Lennon and SWP are the future (if SWP can actually get a game this year). Dropping Beckham from the squad is the right thing to do especially as he is unlikely to be fully fit following injury anyway.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If true i do feel a little sorry for Becks, while he maybe should be left out of the starting eleven to drop him from the squad seems a little harsh.

He has been Real's best player for the last two seasons and while not a certain starter for England anymore is certainly a decent squad member.

Seems his close relationship with Sven has caused him to be McClaren's fall-guy with McClaren obviously wanting to make a bold statement in his first squad annoucement

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Kinky Gerbils said:
Wouldnt drop him from Squad - still offers more than Lampard.
How'd you work that one out? Or is one poor World Cup enough to cancel out being one of our most consistent performers over the last few years?

Beckham's not in because he's injured. :shrug: If he plays well there is still a place for him, but it will be tough with Lennon, Pennant, and SWP if he can get a game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Silent Bob said:
How'd you work that one out? Or is one poor World Cup enough to cancel out being one of our most consistent performers over the last few years?

Make that two World Cup and One European - not the build up but the actual tournaments

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
No way. Maybe he's not the player he was, maybe he shouldn't even start, but to drop him from the squad would be a travesty, in my opinion.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We carry on playing Lampard it proves we learn nothing - He was poor at the world cup and deserves to be behind Hargreaves and Gerrard.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Icy Gull said:
Make that two World Cup and One European - not the build up but the actual tournaments
Eh? ??? Lampard not Beckham....

Kinky Gerbils said:
We carry on playing Lampard it proves we learn nothing - He was poor at the world cup and deserves to be behind Hargreaves and Gerrard.
No, it proves we're not fickle idiots. For the record I think Hargreaves and Gerrard should start vs Greece, but Lampard shouldn't be dropped from the squad and written off completely, forever, because he had a few bad games.

Still I suppose the fickle mushheads need someone to scapegoat now Hargreaves is the golden boy.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:

Absolutely right.

I think we're going to see a very different midfield to the one played in the world cup. McLaren seems to be a fan of out and out wingers and hopefully the likes of Lennon and SWP will benefit. If only Joe Cole was left footed.

I don't think Becks should be completely dropped as he still has a lot to offer but if we're building for the next championships at which hell be the wrong end of 33 years old then logically he has to go.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Absolutely right.

I think we're going to see a very different midfield to the one played in the world cup. McLaren seems to be a fan of out and out wingers and hopefully the likes of Lennon and SWP will benefit. If only Joe Cole was left footed.

I don't think Becks should be completely dropped as he still has a lot to offer but if we're building for the next championships at which hell be the wrong end of 33 years old then logically he has to go.

Come on down, Mr Stewart Downing. If he has a half decent start to the season, he will start the first qualifier.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Silent Bob said:
Eh? ??? Lampard not Beckham....

No, it proves we're not fickle idiots. For the record I think Hargreaves and Gerrard should start vs Greece, but Lampard shouldn't be dropped from the squad and written off completely, forever, because he had a few bad games.

Still I suppose the fickle mushheads need someone to scapegoat now Hargreaves is the golden boy.

Clearly I wasnt one of the 3 people or so on here defending him before the World cup.

Stumpy Tim

Titanic said:
Great move - gives us a balanced midfield of Lampard, Gerrard, Lennon and Cole - QUALITY :clap:

How does bringing Lennon in for Beckham make it more balanced?? Having been to the games at the World Cup, there wasn't a more hard-working midfielder for England than Beckham... and he set up some goals... Press just had it in for Becks

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Common as Mook said:
Come on down, Mr Stewart Downing. If he has a half decent start to the season, he will start the first qualifier.

Indeed he could be the answer - would be better than Cole in my view

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Stumpy Tim said:
How does bringing Lennon in for Beckham make it more balanced?? Having been to the games at the World Cup, there wasn't a more hard-working midfielder for England than Beckham... and he set up some goals... Press just had it in for Becks

Indeed - I love the way the press build certain players up so much so they cant do no wrong - Lampard and Terry being examples - while at the same time slating others such as Hargreaves and Beckham.

You back ok for Wedding?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here