Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee spot on in the Argus

Whatever you interpret as escaping my attention London Irish, you must not be interpreting correctly. I believe you are assuming that I'm jingo-istically in blind support of Wilkins just because I am not doing that for McGhee.

One should not fear any man, and conversely one should not put all their faith in any man either (or woman, come to that).

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
NMH said:
The players were losing heart, imo. because MM had lost ideas. I don't think he lacked conviction in his own tactics, but the crowd certainly had. BHA looked sadly like a team going nowhere, down a dead-end to low gates and lowering league position...and without fans the club would REALLY be up shit creek without a paddle.

Losing the fans, means losing the income that is the life blood of our club like few others.

First time ive agreed with you in a while! I do think his time had probably come to an end as he seemed to have run out of ideas. Id still rather have him over Wilkins though. I was happy for McGhee to go as long as he was replaced with someone experienced who could get us out of trouble, Wilkins isn't that man.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
He's right about the relegation fight and rolling the sleeves up. I know we've only got kids out there but the sooner they face upto real life and the fact we're in a scrap, the more chance we have of getting out of this.

This Saturday is massive. C'mon Albion.

:albion:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
El Presidente said:
I think the Stoke performance was as much to do with the board not giving out decisions on contracts as much as anything else.

The players had been told that they would know as soon as our relegation fight had been sorted, we had been down for two weeks, and nothing had come from DK due to the board wranglings.

The players were fed up, and played as such. It can be laid at MM's door that it is his job to motivate them, but under such circumstances highly unlikely that they are going to listen.

Good observation.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The Argus is reporting that Deano is looking for experienced players to compliment the kids. If he gets the right players and not just dregs, we should improve dramatically. Hopefully Tight will give him enough money for quality older players to help develop the kids on the pitch.

Deano's biggest problem, apart from his lack of experience, is the squad that he inherited from Magoo. I believe that if we still had CKR things would be different.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
NMH said:
The players were losing heart, imo. because MM had lost ideas. I don't think he lacked conviction in his own tactics, but the crowd certainly had. BHA looked sadly like a team going nowhere, down a dead-end to low gates and lowering league position...and without fans the club would REALLY be up shit creek without a paddle.

Losing the fans, means losing the income that is the life blood of our club like few others.

and the crowds under Wilkins are much worse than they were under McGhee, how ironic

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Uncle Spielberg said:
and the crowds under Wilkins are much worse than they were under McGhee, how ironic

To be fair, crowds normally dwindle after the first 5 or so when the autumn and winter months are upon us. Plus, we are playing in a lower league and battle against NOrthampton isn't so attractive as a battle against Leeds Utd or Southampton.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Barrel of Fun said:
To be fair, crowds normally dwindle after the first 5 or so when the autumn and winter months are upon us. Plus, we are playing in a lower league and battle against NOrthampton isn't so attractive as a battle against Leeds Utd or Southampton.

No BOF, crowds in this division are much worse, McGhee was getting 6500 - 7000 per annum in his first 3 games

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
McGhee reasoned that they were a spent force after a long and frustrating season and forgave them the poor display. He was a wiser man than many Brighton fans were for that judgement I maintain.

To enlarge the debate somewhat, it is true I think that Dean Wilkins takes a different view on public criticism of players, much closer to your view, and will be very pointed in his criticisms of the team and sometimes of individuals to the press after a defeat. McGhee only ever did so about the handful of idiots who breached team discipline like Knight, Big Mac, Chaigneau and CKR.

It's an interesting difference of approach and personal style between the two managers. I instinctively prefer the McGhee approach, particularly in these days when fans get on the back of players very quickly. But I respect Wilkins and his judgement and there may be something in what you say if he turns round the team using more forthright motivational techniques.

This is true, both ways have plus points and down points.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Uncle Spielberg said:
No BOF, crowds in this division are much worse, McGhee was getting 6500 - 7000 per annum in his first 3 games

23 quid to watch Leeds
23 quid to watch Yeovil

hmmm I wonder what will draw more people?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Kinky Gerbils said:
23 quid to watch Leeds
23 quid to watch Yeovil

hmmm I wonder what will draw more people?

HELLO, CROWDS ARE MUCH WORSE IN THIS DIVISION, IE DIV 1 UNDER WILKINS THAN MCGHEE NOT THE CHAMPIONSHIP, I REAPEAT NOT THE CHAMPIONSHIP, I REPEAT NOT THE CHAMPIONSHIP, SHALL I EXPLAIN FURTHER IF YOU ARE UNSURE, NOT THE CHAMPIONSHIP BUT THIS DIVISION IE THIS YEAR, IE SEASON 2006/2007 , SPOT THE BRAIN CELL :shootself

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
LI's point about critisising players is an interesting one.

jake Robinson came in for a lot of critisism from Dean, he responded by scoring for fun. It all goes quiet and he stops scoring.

Coincidence?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I do though remember the criticism of Mcgee of putting square pegs in round holes.

Now we see Mayo popping up at right back.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Questions said:
I do though remember the criticism of Mcgee of putting square pegs in round holes.

Now we see Mayo popping up at right back.

And El-Abd to midfield. And Robinson to the wing. And Lynch to right back.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dave the Gaffer said:
LI's point about critisising players is an interesting one.

jake Robinson came in for a lot of critisism from Dean, he responded by scoring for fun. It all goes quiet and he stops scoring.

Coincidence?

It hasn't gone quiet. Someone posted on here that Jake was getting a bawling out just last week. His head is dropping more and more every time I see him.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Da Man Clay said:
And El-Abd to midfield. And Robinson to the wing. And Lynch to right back.

Alls not lost for Kuipers. There`s 11 spots up for grabs under Dean.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Da Man Clay said:
Now read his post again.

Yes I have AND ???

Yeovil are in Div 1 Leeds are in the Championship and your point is

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here