Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee spot on in the Argus

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I was very unhappy about the Stoke performance and made a post on here about it but overall he had a lot of passion for this job and loyalty to the club over and above what the fans deserved and had to put up with muppets abusing him from the D Block for about 3 months, Wilkins has had a long honeymoon and the only reason I can see for him not getting the same is he had come up through the ranks but his time will come soon if things carry on as they are.

McGhee a man of honour and integrity , I would have him back here instead of Wilkins like a shot but as has beeb said before I must move on.

Southover Street Seagull said:
Sometimes players shouldn't be protected by their manager, this was one case where I think that should have happened. I never condone singling out players personally but sometimes the team needs a collective dressing down when they have put in a shabby performance like the Stoke one.
McGhee reasoned that they were a spent force after a long and frustrating season and forgave them the poor display. He was a wiser man than many Brighton fans were for that judgement I maintain.

To enlarge the debate somewhat, it is true I think that Dean Wilkins takes a different view on public criticism of players, much closer to your view, and will be very pointed in his criticisms of the team and sometimes of individuals to the press after a defeat. McGhee only ever did so about the handful of idiots who breached team discipline like Knight, Big Mac, Chaigneau and CKR.

It's an interesting difference of approach and personal style between the two managers. I instinctively prefer the McGhee approach, particularly in these days when fans get on the back of players very quickly. But I respect Wilkins and his judgement and there may be something in what you say if he turns round the team using more forthright motivational techniques.

Last edited:

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
COME BACK MARK AND GET THAT CLUELESS TWAT WILKINS COACHING THE CARDINAL NEWMAN UNDER 13s

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
byf said:
COME BACK MARK AND GET THAT CLUELESS TWAT WILKINS COACHING THE CARDINAL NEWMAN UNDER 13s

At last a man of insight and intelligence :clap:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
cjd said:
For once a reasoned debate from just about everybody...well done !
One thing that puzzles me about this article......what axe has Andy Naylor got to grind with the club...?
There have been a few instances recently, where Naylor has deliberately chosen to use his "newspaper" to stir up trouble.
I noticed on the Whing transfer story, he chose to print word for word Mickey Adams diatribe about "who said he was for sale "etc etc. Think it,s pretty well known that the money he asked for Whing was exorbitant...yet Naylor wants to put the emphasis on apparently Mickey Adams not wanting to sell., which is a lie. Andy Naylor is obviously in the McGhee camp, and would appear to me to be wanting to do whatever he can to destroy this club. I find the whole article quite sad....an old mate (Naylor) just unable to accept that McGhee,s time was up.....or does he know something about the Albion that we don,t....and he daren,t print it...?
Whole article smacks of bitterness to me....
Naylor is said to be good friends with McGhee. Perhaps that's all there is to it. Naylor wanting to speak up for a mate who still lives locally.

cjd said:
Do you go to the same optician as yorkie...?? :lolol: :lolol:

PS. what are you doing on here ?.....you should be comforting your partner...! Any news ...??

Done and dusted ;) Am going to ressurect that RSCH maternity controversy thread and detail our experiences.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
hang on didn't Naylor do a whole page article saying Wilkins is the right man for the job and generally licking his backside ???

If you read what I said was that it was also down to Hammond being given the Captain's armband that has helped him improve too. Carpenter has been a terrific servant for the club over the years and has doubtless helped younger players like Hammond improve. However Carpenter and Hammond play smilar roles, so when they play together Hammond didn't seem as good. In other words I am saying that Hammond's improved form is not just down to Carpenter being ommitted from the side.

Erm.... I was agreeing with you. I was quoting your post as it actually said things properly, as I'd been mentioning in my previous post, needed doing "Like that".

NMH said:
Erm.... I was agreeing with you. I was quoting your post as it actually said things properly, as I'd been mentioning in my previous post, needed doing "Like that".

Ooops! Sorry.
My humble apologies.

The Complete Badger said:
He left at the beginning of October. Our first game in October was Blackpool at Withdean and he was still in charge, but everyone knew about the Reading offer and were trying to get him to stay. Then, the week after, we played Grimsby at home and Booker was in charge because his reign of terror had come to an end!

As you say, we could be here until next week without agreeing on this one. I am probably overly harsh on him, but I stick by the principles of what I've said:clap:

Always stick by your principles, but be prepared to listen to other peoples. Which is what you have been doing with this argument.

Do you think Tureinzo is shit?:p

Just because you may not want a pertucular manager at the football club, doesn't mean you are a back stabber.

Exactly, and right again.
There's a gang-up lot on here that want to alienate an opinion to make people afraid to voice theirs if it doesn't conform. They'll make statements like that, to try to enforce their own and make contrary thought look like treason!

Uncle Spielberg said:
I was very unhappy about the Stoke performance and made a post on here about it but overall he had a lot of passion for this job and loyalty to the club over and above what the fans deserved and had to put up with muppets abusing him from the D Block for about 3 months, Wilkins has had a long honeymoon and the only reason I can see for him not getting the same is he had come up through the ranks but his time will come soon if things carry on as they are.

McGhee a man of honour and integrity , I would have him back here instead of Wilkins like a shot but as has beeb said before I must move on.

But Unc you can't seem to move on by posting stuff about McGhee from time to time!

London Irish said:
McGhee reasoned that they were a spent force after a long and frustrating season and forgave them the poor display. He was a wiser man than many Brighton fans were for that judgement I maintain.

To enlarge the debate somewhat, it is true I think that Dean Wilkins takes a different view on public criticism of players, much closer to your view, and will be very pointed in his criticisms of the team and sometimes of individuals to the press after a defeat. McGhee only ever did so about the handful of idiots who breached team discipline like Knight, Big Mac, Chaigneau and CKR.

It's an interesting difference of approach and personal style between the two managers. I instinctively prefer the McGhee approach, particularly in these days when fans get on the back of players very quickly. But I respect Wilkins and his judgement and there may be something in what you say if he turns round the team using more forthright motivational techniques.

I have heard Wilkins castigate sections of the team or the whole team, but never individuals.
I agree with Wilkins technique, but time will tell if it works or not.
For things like breach of club discipline, I have no problem in individual players being named.

London Irish said:
Done and dusted ;) Am going to ressurect that RSCH maternity controversy thread and detail our experiences.

So you are father now? Is it the first time?
Congratulations.
Is the membership for the Junior Seagulls in the post?

Da Man Clay said:
I agree with all but the last bit, I dont think he ever lost Heart managing us, he just lost the crowd.

The players were losing heart, imo. because MM had lost ideas. I don't think he lacked conviction in his own tactics, but the crowd certainly had. BHA looked sadly like a team going nowhere, down a dead-end to low gates and lowering league position...and without fans the club would REALLY be up shit creek without a paddle.

Losing the fans, means losing the income that is the life blood of our club like few others.

London Irish said:

HE could 'forgive' whatever he likes, HE was still getting PAID for that shit Stoke capitulation, and HE was a big part of the reason for it. Bugger what nicey-niceness you think goes on between manager and squad - I PAID FOR A TICKET and at Brighton and Hove Albion F.C., it's the punters who decide what's 'forgiveable' when they shell out over £20 at the end of a week.
Now if you tell me we 'unforgivers' are unwilling to accept a defeat and what if we were lastnight's Kop etc, it's NOT about the result, it is about the manner of it, and especially underlined by the timing of it (nothing to play for...except the fans?). It was THESE fans at the Stoke match that McGhee ESPECIALLY ought to be apologetic towards - we went to see them play a match where there was nothing to play for....except the fans. ???

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think the Stoke performance was as much to do with the board not giving out decisions on contracts as much as anything else.

The players had been told that they would know as soon as our relegation fight had been sorted, we had been down for two weeks, and nothing had come from DK due to the board wranglings.

The players were fed up, and played as such. It can be laid at MM's door that it is his job to motivate them, but under such circumstances highly unlikely that they are going to listen.

NMH said:
HE could 'forgive' whatever he likes, HE was still getting PAID for that shit Stoke capitulation, and HE was a big part of the reason for it. Bugger what nicey-niceness you think goes on between manager and squad - I PAID FOR A TICKET and at Brighton and Hove Albion F.C., it's the punters who decide what's 'forgiveable' when they shell out over £20 at the end of a week.
Now if you tell me we 'unforgivers' are unwilling to accept a defeat and what if we were lastnight's Kop etc, it's NOT about the result, it is about the manner of it, and especially underlined by the timing of it (nothing to play for...except the fans?). It was THESE fans at the Stoke match that McGhee ESPECIALLY ought to be apologetic towards - we went to see them play a match where there was nothing to play for....except the fans. ???

Calm down. It may have escaped your attention that we've lost a fair few since then and against much poorer teams than Stoke.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Can't be arsed to read it all as i thought this subject had finished a long time ago.

Mark McGhee get on with your life and stop trying to turn the pressure on to your successor in other words F*ck off and don't come back.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

London Irish said:
Calm down. It may have escaped your attention that we've lost a fair few since then and against much poorer teams than Stoke.

I am calm. I am just illustrating my point.

I noticed we have lost a few, and to be honest I was never all that impressed by our spanking the Northwich Victorias and whoever-elses from non-league, nor the dominating of ten-men shambles (like orient). Just because I agree with the ousting of McGhee, I'm not actually saying I'm fully confident of Wilkins' abilities as yet - I do remain in hope. Just getting an inexperienced manager from the ranks doesn't qualify as a 'coup' really. However, from what I have seen on the pitch, it's already expedentially better and encouraging.

Still, I feel that Dean Wilkins has much to learn - and needs to learn ahead of his players, so that he can make decisions and plans before they are just lessons handed down to our side by another team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here