Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee spot on in the Argus

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bevendean Hillbilly said:

I rated Maghee as a manager, but still think he had to go when he did as he had run out of ideas.

I think that is a fairly accurate summary of the situation.

I looked for you in the Millers Well on Saturday btw. I couldn't see anyone there with their Mum.

Southover Street Seagull said:
If you read the article it says the opposite. Doesn't look like he has been picking and choosing at all. The jist I got from the article was that the jobs he did want he never got.
That's a fair reading - McGhee will be associated throughout the football world with the failure of last season, so he will not walk into a good job just like that, although I don't believe he will be ever out of work for any length of time.

He was always bound to sacrifice some of his reputation joining us. He was always on a hiding to nothing with a club like us, sooner or later it would be bound to happen, and his initial success made it all the more likely. That is why I admire him so, that he was willing to take on that impossible job which could only eventually and inevitably damage his reputation for success, something that more streetwise operators like Peter Taylor was never prepared to do.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:

He was always bound to sacrifice some of his reputation joining us. He was always on a hiding to nothing with a club like us, sooner or later it would be bound to happen, and his initial success made it all the more likely.

Ermm not really. I agree that there wasn't much else he could do but if the team had had more fight and played better football his reputation would have been fine. Adams, Coppell and Taylor all had the same constraints and walked away reputations in tact. Admittedly Taylor walked at the right time but if anything MM's loyality to us actually enhanced his rep as this was thought to be one of the main areas in which he fell down.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
hans kraay fan club said:
I think that is a fairly accurate summary of the situation.

I looked for you in the Millers Well on Saturday btw. I couldn't see anyone there with their Mum.

Oh yes, I was there!, impressed with how many Brighton were in, Mum was sharking around that back bit with the Sky sports on.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Les Biehn said:
Adams, Coppell and Taylor all had the same constraints and walked away reputations in tact.

They all walked out. Thats the point as they left before we the bubble burst which was always going to happen, McGhee could have walked out at the end of the first championship season like any of the others would have done.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Da Man Clay said:
They all walked out. Thats the point as they left before we the bubble burst which was always going to happen, McGhee could have walked out at the end of the first championship season like any of the others would have done.

After that Ipswich game and we stayed up he was a hero to everyone (well, nearly everyone)

NMH said:
Like that.

If you read what I said was that it was also down to Hammond being given the Captain's armband that has helped him improve too. Carpenter has been a terrific servant for the club over the years and has doubtless helped younger players like Hammond improve. However Carpenter and Hammond play smilar roles, so when they play together Hammond didn't seem as good. In other words I am saying that Hammond's improved form is not just down to Carpenter being ommitted from the side.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Da Man Clay said:

I agree, but Adams was here for a fair time and the bubble never burst and Coppell didn't even have a promotion on his CV with us just a relegation.

My point is I don't believe MM's reputation was particularly damaged by his time at Brighton, it would have been enhanced had he left after the first Championship season but he certainly didn't leave with it any worse than when he came here.

Da Man Clay said:
Exactly, we will never know if Adams or Coppell could have kept us in the Championship because they both jumped ship before being asked the big question.

Coppell's 2002-3 experience was contradictory - he did brilliantly well intially to get us back into contention. But having got us out for the bottom 3 by February, he then had the major test of keeping us out of the relegation places. With the best will in the world, he could not manage it.

London Irish said:
Because you must always aim high at the beginning of the season - McGhee said a play-offs push was contingent on us signing experienced players and he pushed Knight hard for that. Perhaps too hard for his own personal good it seems.

It is my belief that there is something wrong at this club that we could hound out a man of McGhee's calibre and achievements with us. This is no backward regret, but a worry for the future.

The situation over the past year gives me no confidence that we will give Dean Wilkins the support he needs when the going gets tough. The crowd will turn, and the same apologists for back-stabbing decent men will come out of the woodwork.

Just because you may not want a pertucular manager at the football club, doesn't mean you are a back stabber.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
He was always bound to sacrifice some of his reputation joining us.

Not if he done resonably well. People tend to look at mangers jobs on their merit and judge it by the club. Well outsiders that is.

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Les Biehn said:
I agree, but Adams was here for a fair time and the bubble never burst and Coppell didn't even have a promotion on his CV with us just a relegation.

My point is I don't believe MM's reputation was particularly damaged by his time at Brighton, it would have been enhanced had he left after the first Championship season but he certainly didn't leave with it any worse than when he came here.

Adams had the one of the biggest budgets in League 2 and already had the core of a very good team for League 1.Coppell almost performed a miracle for us and looked like a hero for us for some time.

I think MM probably did leave with a worse reputation, he tried all sorts of things in the season we went down that didn't work which may have had a bad reflection on him.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Da Man Clay said:
Adams had the one of the biggest budgets in League 2 and already had the core of a very good team for League 1.Coppell almost performed a miracle for us and looked like a hero for us for some time.

These are all true, but my point is MM joining us didn't particularly damage his reputation like LI claims. It didn't enhance it but it didn't damage it.

London Irish said:

He was always bound to sacrifice some of his reputation joining us. He was always on a hiding to nothing with a club like us, sooner or later it would be bound to happen, and his initial success made it all the more likely. That is why I admire him so, that he was willing to take on that impossible job which could only eventually and inevitably damage his reputation for success, something that more streetwise operators like Peter Taylor was never prepared to do.

I think that now the dust has settled with McGhhe departure that his reputation in the football world is still intact. Any football club chairman who knows a bit about football knows the Brighton job is a tough one. McGhee did initially very well, but he eventually lost heart in managing the Albion.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Southover Street Seagull said:
I think that now the dust has settled with McGhhe departure that his reputation in the football world is still intact. Any football club chairman who knows a bit about football knows the Brighton job is a tough one. McGhee did initially very well, but he eventually lost heart in managing the Albion.

I agree with all but the last bit, I dont think he ever lost Heart managing us, he just lost the crowd.

The Complete Badger said:
Sorry to add a totally abusive response, and I know this is very much another debate, but walking out on us after his own failure (as LI sums up for us above) is why Coppout is a PRICK and a dirty piece of Palace scum of the highest order, and the day he was applauded back across the Withdean pitch was a low point in my life:angry:

Coppell is an experienced football man, he knew we were no nearer to getting Falmer, Reading had loads of money and an excellent facilities.
Now if you ask some people on here if they thought McGhee was loyal they will tell you that he was.
Look where that loyalty got him.
The only loyalty in football comes from the fans, the sooner you realise that then next time a manager leaves us for a better prospect in the correct manner, you perhaps won't be so bitter?

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Yorkie said:
Hes' still being paid by us, writing his book and making appearances on Sky. Why should he rush into anything?

But he said that he wants to get back in to managment

Mcghee
McGhee, still living within hearing distance of Withdean, is finding it hard to jump back on the managerial merry-go-round.

Low-cost, internal appointments appear to be the fashion nowadays.

"It has been pretty much torture," he admitted. "I've been going to a few games, not that many.

"Other than that I sit and watch the results coming in on a Saturday, watch all the football I can on TV and go on to the internet after every match day looking at all the teams and who has and hasn't played to keep up to speed.

"I've been looking for another job since the day I left Brighton. I wanted to get back into work immediately and that continues to be the case.

But to be honest from my point of view i'm enjoying going to games more now than what i did under mcghees last 12 months as manager, as we do look like we can get a goal in a game rather than hope to get one.
Theres was games last season that i missed as i couldn't be bothered to go but would have gone if mcghee wasn't in charge.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here