Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee spot on in the Argus

Yorkie said:
I would disagree about Hammond. He was doing well (2 goals against West Ham) but the Chippy partnership held him back. DW carried on that partnership but once Chippy was suspended and injured then Hammond came back into form again.
I don't think either manager was the reason for that form.

Or the fact that Wilkins made Hammond captain, would that have anything to do with it?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Southover Street Seagull said:
Or the fact that Wilkins made Hammond captain, would that have anything to do with it?
Maybe but I still think getting rid of Chippy gave Hammond more freedom in midfield.

Yorkie said:
Maybe but I still think getting rid of Chippy gave Hammond more freedom in midfield.

Getting rid of Chippy or Chippy being injured? I agree without Carpenter in midfield Hammond has improved. But he has also improved since he was made captain, he has more responsibilty now and doesn't drift in and out of gamesd as much as he used to.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Yorkie said:
I would disagree about Hammond. He was doing well (2 goals against West Ham) but the Chippy partnership held him back. DW carried on that partnership but once Chippy was suspended and injured then Hammond came back into form again.
I don't think either manager was the reason for that form.

Can't believe how way off the mark that comment is.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Arrid said:
Can't believe how way off the mark that comment is.

It's just an opinion. It doesn't have to be near or far off the 'mark'

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I love Mark McGhee :love: :bowdown:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Uncle Buck said:
So jobs like Swindon, Brentford, Millwall, Darlington, Barnsley etc have come and gone and he is still out of work.

Does not say much about his calibre or skill, more that he is not employable.

Shame.
Absolute bollocks with bells on.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Uncle Spielberg said:
I love Mark McGhee :love: :bowdown:
But I thought you were "over him" about five minutes after he quit?

Are you still carrying a flame? You can share it, don't be ashamed.

MM says some sensible things, and we all knew that DW wasn't going to effect such changes that would lead to immediate fame and fortune. Nothing there contrasts with our expectations as far as I can see, and I'm sure he doesn't wish us any ill.
Nice.

As for this Hammond argument - is it not right to think that maybe, just maybe - playing alongside a seasoned experienced player rubs off on the younger lads? Can we not for one moment think, in colour, that Hammond plays well in his position in some part due to coaching, and the confidence is bolstered in competitive games by playing alongside Carpenter?

I mean, do we have to apportion blames upon one player or another, or against another on the same team, why not just a little credit sometimes?
Obviously DH stands out (good OR bad) when Chippy isn't in the side, as he becomes the midfielder we principally rely on.

Albion Rob

Sadly for McGhee, his time came. In much the same way as it did at Millwall.

Did well there too for a couple of seasons but couldn't carry it on.

Shame but that's the way it goes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
ROSM said:

How come then, it was the chairman who went on record in the pre season build up by saying that he would be happy with mid table and the youth players coming through? Yet it was MM who was talking about a push for the play offs (granted a view he downsized by the fans forum).

Probably a desperate measure to get hold of the fictitiuos (and yes I firmly believe it is fictitious) 150k that's been gathering moths?

A bit of mind games with the players so that they didn't accept mid table mediocrity before a ball was kicked. Who knows waht he was privately thinking rather than what he said?

This of course will be seen as having had faith in the now departed devil incarnate and is totally unacceptable.

My take on the whole article is a man showing no sign of bitterness and backing the current incumbent
:shrug:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Man of Harveys said:
But I thought you were "over him" about five minutes after he quit?

Are you still carrying a flame? You can share it, don't be ashamed.

I am one of a few intelligent beings who can see what he did for Albion in his time and his loyalty and dedication was thrown back in his face, we would undoubtedly have more points on the board now if he still in charge . If only, sigh ...................... :down:

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Uncle Spielberg said:
Survival fight
By Andy Naylor

Mark McGhee could be forgiven for saying: "I told you so." Four months after being relieved of his duties by Albion, his managerial successor Dean Wilkins is finding life just as tough.

But there is no gloating from the Glaswegian, just an appreciation of the all-too-familiar difficulties facing Wilkins and his assistant Dean White.

Not much has changed since McGhee was shown the door by chairman Dick Knight after six League One games, following promotion, Championship survival and relegation in his first three seasons in charge.

A 1-0 defeat at Bristol City, the club where McGhee began his playing career, left Albion in 16th place, two points clear of the relegation zone when Knight decided it was time for a change.

Albion go into Saturday's visit by Millwall, where McGhee had a successful spell as manager, in 15th spot, four points clear of the relegation places.

McGhee has nothing but sympathy for Albion's Dean Team.

Advertisement continued...
"We were averaging something like 1.45 points per game and they are averaging a lot less than that over the season,"

he said.

"I'd like to think if I was still there I'd have squeezed a few more points out of it but the reality is they are working with a very limited squad with no resources and not a lot more can be expected of them.

"You cannot point the finger at anyone and say they should be doing better. They shouldn't be. They are doing absolutely as well as they can."

The significance of Saturday's result for Wilkins' young side, their confidence knocked by the second run of five straight defeats in all competitions during his reign, is plain for all to see.

Millwall are one of the clubs four points adrift of Albion and they have a game in hand.

McGhee said: "You have to look in the other direction now. A couple of weeks ago they were sitting in tenth and it was something like ten points from the relegation zone.

"One or two, like Millwall, have got games in hand and if Millwall were to beat them then suddenly it could get scary.

"They have a job on but I thought from day one of this season we had a job on.

"I remember speaking to Dario Gradi (Crewe manager) and he said to me all we are interested in is making sure we stay in this division. That was realistic.

"It was the same for us.

People don't want to admit that - the chairman won't admit that - but that is the reality and that is why I say I don't think they are doing any worse than can be expected.

"They have been forced, because of the financial situation at the club, to play young players who may in time prove to be up for it but over a long old season won't be able to sustain it."

McGhee gave many of those young players their chance, like Joel Lynch and Joe Gatting last season, Dean Cox and Sam Rents this season.

He also signed Alex Revell in the summer for what now looks a bargain £8,000 from Braintree.

His sacking still hurts and what hurts most was implied criticism of his failure to attract players to the club.

"It will always rankle because I know the reality of doing the job and I think those now in the job are coming to realise what the difficulties are at a club like Brighton," McGhee said.

"Some of the insinuations around the time I left have now been proven to be ridiculous.

This is a club, like many others, who find it difficult to find players.

"That has been proven.

The only players that have been signed really are those on the periphery of other teams or young players. That is all that is available to clubs like Brighton."

McGhee, still living within hearing distance of Withdean, is finding it hard to jump back on the managerial merry-go-round.

Low-cost, internal appointments appear to be the fashion nowadays.

"It has been pretty much torture," he admitted. "I've been going to a few games, not that many.

"Other than that I sit and watch the results coming in on a Saturday, watch all the football I can on TV and go on to the internet after every match day looking at all the teams and who has and hasn't played to keep up to speed.

"I've been looking for another job since the day I left Brighton. I wanted to get back into work immediately and that continues to be the case.

"I have not by any means put my name in for every job that has come up.

"Ones like West Ham and Charlton came and went and I knew at this stage for me it would be unrealistic to think I was going got get those kind of jobs, so I wouldn't embarrass myself going for them.

"Others have been jobs a bit too similar to the job I had here at Brighton, where you are limited in terms of your chances of success.

"One or two others were attractive jobs where I spoke to the chairmen and someone else ended up getting it "On both occasions I thought those appointed were good appointments."

As he tries to sort out his own future what advice would he offer to Wilkins?

"To be realistic, to make sure the boys know when they are going out there, even at this stage of the season, that they are in a relegation fight.

"Don't be fooled or listen to other people who talk about putting a good run together and making the play-offs.

"That for me is ridiculous.

They have got to get the points to keep them up and every game has got to be like that, roll your sleeves up and really battle for every single point."
:bowdown: :bowdown:

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
I don't miss him at all glad he went never wanted him in the first place i wanted steve cotterill if he was any good some other team would have took him on by now

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Icy Gull said:
Probably a desperate measure to get hold of the fictitiuos (and yes I firmly believe it is fictitious) 150k that's been gathering moths?

A bit of mind games with the players so that they didn't accept mid table mediocrity before a ball was kicked. Who knows waht he was privately thinking rather than what he said?

This of course will be seen as having had faith in the now departed devil incarnate and is totally unacceptable.

My take on the whole article is a man showing no sign of bitterness and backing the current incumbent
:shrug:

it was more the point where he claimed that the chairman wouldn't accept that survival in this division was the realistic aim. All I'm saying is that this was exactly DKs public stated aims.

Mind you - if there ever was £150k, i suspect that the lower than budgeted crowds at withdean will have eaten into some of that. If we are still paying MM and BB, that will explain why there has been little movement at bringing in support for the two deans.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I thought he gave a very balanced view, certainly not bigging himself up, and pretty realistic about the Albions capabilities at the moment.

I rated Maghee as a manager, but still think he had to go when he did as he had run out of ideas.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
ROSM said:
it was more the point where he claimed that the chairman wouldn't accept that survival in this division was the realistic aim. All I'm saying is that this was exactly DKs public stated aims.

Mind you - if there ever was £150k, i suspect that the lower than budgeted crowds at withdean will have eaten into some of that. If we are still paying MM and BB, that will explain why there has been little movement at bringing in support for the two deans.

It's an unevenviable balancing act that's for sure, without a bit of success on the field the crowds will inevitably drop further so I reckon we will be spending what's left of it this transfer window if it is actually there. A new face who has done something in the game and is not a has been or a crock could do wonders for the crowds and the team imo. However history and my lack of faith in the money being available tells me we won't be seeing anyone of note come in.

ROSM said:
How come then, it was the chairman who went on record in the pre season build up by saying that he would be happy with mid table and the youth players coming through? Yet it was MM who was talking about a push for the play offs (granted a view he downsized by the fans forum). And can you remember the stick DK got at the time for that opinion?

Because you must always aim high at the beginning of the season - McGhee said a play-offs push was contingent on us signing experienced players and he pushed Knight hard for that. Perhaps too hard for his own personal good it seems.

It is my belief that there is something wrong at this club that we could hound out a man of McGhee's calibre and achievements with us. This is no backward regret, but a worry for the future.

The situation over the past year gives me no confidence that we will give Dean Wilkins the support he needs when the going gets tough. The crowd will turn, and the same apologists for back-stabbing decent men will come out of the woodwork.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here