Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee spot on in the Argus

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
So jobs like Swindon, Brentford, Millwall, Darlington, Barnsley etc have come and gone and he is still out of work.

Does not say much about his calibre or skill, more that he is not employable.

Shame.

maybe he could help his mate Booker out in county league 3 pease pottage

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I make him right on the finances still being tight but we all knew that, but PLENTY has changed for the better since he left.

Well we've got some of the cack out of the squad that McGhee had assembled, such as Stokes who was on loan, and Santos who was probably commanding a few quid on the basis of "experience and versatility". The team look together rather than divided, the kids look confident and play with some belief, and we are able to attract the odd player on loan, which seemed completely beyond us with McGhee in charge. Bowditch was a player who we'd tried to get in the summer, but it didn't happen, but as soon as McGhee went we got him.

Arsenal - with whom we are supposed to have a "special" relationship with courtesy of the Brady connection - sent us no-one last year, but now we have a promising young defender off them. Last January we needed someone, anyone, and got no-one, this year we have two signings (one perm and one
loan) almost immediately.

There are a number of players who look better since McGhee went. Hammond looks a different player, Rents has come on, Revell has been moved into the middle from the right and looks far more comfortable.

Blimey, McGhee it looks like a different club to me, if you were still in charge the fall-outs would have just continued, and no-one was prepared to join us. Whereas, if you'd gone earlier we may just still have CKR up front, and in this division he could have been mustard.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
kestrel said:
Yorkie,on a serious note.Do you think he will find it hard to get another job at this level

No.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
A man of his calibre and undoubted skills can pick and chose Piers old boy

well he even says himself that is untrue, didn't bother going for West Ham job etc

Not really fussed about his thoughts on what is going on at the moment, his failings in the transfer market are why we are having to play with a pretty much youth team

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
kestrel said:
maybe he could help his mate Booker out in county league 3 pease pottage

who is also still on full pay.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Booker help Booker? Sorry I don't understand you.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Re: Re: McGhee spot on in the Argus

Man of Harveys said:
Hmm...for an article with this at the start, it does seem a bit rum that this piece only gets written once we start losing...

Good luck to the bloke. It was right that we went when he did and if he's got the financial ability to wait and choose a decent job that he quite fancies, then that's great. His undoubted talent will be worth a lot to some club somewhere. But also, his time with us was definitely up.

Spot on there MOH.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Gritt23 said:
I make him right on the finances still being tight but we all knew that, but PLENTY has changed for the better since he left.

Well we've got some of the cack out of the squad that McGhee had assembled, such as Stokes who was on loan, and Santos who was probably commanding a few quid on the basis of "experience and versatility". The team look together rather than divided, the kids look confident and play with some belief, and we are able to attract the odd player on loan, which seemed completely beyond us with McGhee in charge. Bowditch was a player who we'd tried to get in the summer, but it didn't happen, but as soon as McGhee went we got him.

Arsenal - with whom we are supposed to have a "special" relationship with courtesy of the Brady connection - sent us no-one last year, but now we have a promising young defender off them. Last January we needed someone, anyone, and got no-one, this year we have two signings (one perm and one
loan) almost immediately.

There are a number of players who look better since McGhee went. Hammond looks a different player, Rents has come on, Revell has been moved into the middle from the right and looks far more comfortable.

Blimey, McGhee it looks like a different club to me, if you were still in charge the fall-outs would have just continued, and no-one was prepared to join us. Whereas, if you'd gone earlier we may just still have CKR up front, and in this division he could have been mustard.

Pretty much sums it up, apart from the CKR bit. Good player, another Leon.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The timing of this article stinks, not much else happening locally then? well lets all feel sorry for ourselves:down:
How about getting on with the job eh, the time to reflect is at the end of the season.:bhasign:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Gritt23 said:

Pity league placing isn't one of them, eh?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Uncle Buck said:
So jobs like Swindon, Brentford, Millwall, Darlington, Barnsley etc have come and gone and he is still out of work.

Does not say much about his calibre or skill, more that he is not employable.

Shame.

One could say the same of Sven and he has been unemployed for longer. :D

Not every manager is suited to every job that becomes available.

I would suggest it is a shame that a man has not found a job after sweating blood and tears in his previous managerial role.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Seagull73 said:
Pretty much sums it up, apart from the CKR bit. Good player, another Leon.

I was very careful to put "could" not "would" as he did appear to be a character who could go either way. As you say, a bit like Leon, but with bags more potential IMHO, and can't be as hard to handle.

CKR has already achieved far more than Leon ever will, by reac`hing the Premiership, working hard enough to get some games, and actually put the ball in the net. Meanwhile Leon was failing to score at Barnsley.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
As i was reading this on the train this morning, I had a little bet with myself as to who would post this first and also which of the usual 'controversial' voices would be quick to underline just how right MM is.

So well done to gareth and the others for proving me right. Unlike GG, I now have a 100% betting record for 2007.

However, when rewriting history, one must make sure we don't directly contradict ourselves. And one thing that MM has done here is claimed that he new this year was all about survival but that the chairman didn't

How come then, it was the chairman who went on record in the pre season build up by saying that he would be happy with mid table and the youth players coming through? Yet it was MM who was talking about a push for the play offs (granted a view he downsized by the fans forum). And can you remember the stick DK got at the time for that opinion?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I would disagree about Hammond. He was doing well (2 goals against West Ham) but the Chippy partnership held him back. DW carried on that partnership but once Chippy was suspended and injured then Hammond came back into form again.
I don't think either manager was the reason for that form.

Uncle Spielberg said:
A man of his calibre and undoubted skills can pick and chose Piers old boy

If you read the article it says the opposite. Doesn't look like he has been picking and choosing at all. The jist I got from the article was that the jobs he did want he never got.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here