Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee hunting for striker

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I would quite happily get a journeyman target man who will get us 12 goals, hold the ball up and bring others into the game. I don't expect miracles but I just can't see it happening.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Les Biehn said:
I would quite happily get a journeyman target man who will get us 12 goals, hold the ball up and bring others into the game. I don't expect miracles but I just can't see it happening.

I would be happy with that, GNW if he dosen't get injured will get that many goals and was bringing other players into it when we had him. Its just a big gamble and im not sure we will be able to take it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Silent Bob said:
Knight was a free transfer and £50k on promotion, hardly pushing the boat out.

Zamora was a find, and we probaly won't have a striker as good for a long time, but there are still plenty of good young players out there who need a chance.

Obviously the summer has barely started, we won't really be able to comment until the season starts but McGhee is already making stupid comments.

I was talking wages for Knight as we had to match or probably better QPR. 5k a week was the rumour????

Just what do you consider to be stupid comments by McGhee? surely "If we could only sign one player it would be a good enough centre forward. The rest we can make do with"
is just being honest, unless you want to hear how we are going to sign 5 or 6 players, which we patently aren't. We didn't sign 10 youth teamers for no reason. I get pissed off with the flak MM gets when DK is equally culpable, as he can't find the money and McGhee can't sign the players.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
GNW = fcuked knees... suggest we target (did you see what I did there?) someone else... :)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Icy Gull said:
I was talking wages for Knight as we had to match or probably better QPR. 5k a week was the rumour????

Just what do you consider to be stupid comments by McGhee? surely "If we could only sign one player it would be a good enough centre forward. The rest we can make do with"
is just being honest, unless you want to hear how we are going to sign 5 or 6 players, which we patently aren't. We didn't sign 10 youth teamers for no reason. I get pissed off with the flak MM gets when DK is equally culpable, as he can't find the money and McGhee can't sign the players.
And when he does find the money spends it himself on players

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:

Knight was not being paid 5k a week. I can believe he was one of the higher earners but not that much. Also QPR had only just come out of administration so they would not have had that sort of cash floating about.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Icy Gull said:

More the "make do" comment. What do you think the current squad think when they read that?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Icy Gull said:

Using the term "make do" was a stupid mistake... how about "the rest of the team are much better than the average league 1 standard" or similar... his comment is not exactly motivational for the squad, is it?...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Silent Bob said:
More the "make do" comment. What do you think the current squad think when they read that?

Snap!!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Silent Bob said:

Exactly that, there are quite a few who need to improve on last season. I think he proably talks to the players and they all know what he thinks of their attributes. Don't be so f***ing precious :p

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
theres a lad playing wide left for Shoreham last season, Shaheen Sadough . . .I saw him score more goals in 2 games then anyone at Brightoin scored in a whole season.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
Knight was not being paid 5k a week. I can believe he was one of the higher earners but not that much. Also QPR had only just come out of administration so they would not have had that sort of cash floating about.

Whatever it was, I doubt DK would pay it now though??

Silent Bob said:

They'll think McGhee has confidence in them to do the job in League 1 to the extent that he doesn't see signing loads of players as a priority, just the one targetman? That's the reading most people will have without anti-McGhee axes to grind.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
I would have thought in this league we will not be the worst payer.

Couldn't agree more... other clubs are a lot worse off than us in this div... look at Rotherham for instance... some people on here seem to think we are the only club in financial difficulty, when in fact almost all clubs in our div are struggling financially...

B.W. said:
Using the term "make do" was a stupid mistake... how about "the rest of the team are much better than the average league 1 standard" or similar... his comment is not exactly motivational for the squad, is it?...

The tendency on here for McGhee's words to be forensically analysed, then the worst reading imputed to them, must be one of the stupidest practices of NSC.

The idea that a couple of words in a newspaper means more than the day-in, day-out intensive work that McGhee puts in with the players along with the other coaches just shows how people can get things so bent out of perspective, it's not true :)

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
They'll think McGhee has confidence in them to do the job in League 1 to the extent that he doesn't see signing loads of players as a priority, just the one targetman? That's the reading most people with have without anti-McGhee axes to grind.

Really?... how would you feel if your boss said he would "make do" with you?... would you feel motivated?... or would you think, he is not particularly happy with your performance?...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He did say we will bounce back, didn't he? Which was a positive.

BUT

I do think it was the wrong phrase to use LI, even if it is just to reassure the fans. "Make do" to "promising squad" would not go amiss.

Last edited:

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
B.W. said:
Really?... how would you feel if your boss said he would "make do" with you?... would you feel motivated?... or would you think, he is not particularly happy with your performance?...

put like that BW, i would have to have a 'word' with my boss :angry:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
The tendency on here for McGhee's words to be forensically analysed, then the worst reading imputed to them, must be one of the stupidest practices of NSC.

The idea that a couple of words in a nespaper means more than the day-in, day-out intensive work that McGhee puts in with the players along with the other coaches just shows how people can get things so bent out of perspective, it's not true :)

You know what... you have a point there... and we all know how well MM motivated his team in the dressing room last season... just look at the results he achieved... fantastic!... :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here