Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee admits we couldn;t be bothered

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
chicken run said:
Fair enough but with lack of funds who wouldnt have given them the chance, and yes I know Copps didnt like Virgo but he's in a different league to MM isnt he!

Fair enough but he still didn't have to, whether I agree with his selections or not he has picked Harding and Lynch over Mayo, Jones and Watson, Hammond over Nicolas, Mayo and Carpenter, Hinsh over Buttters (this year when fit) and Gatting and Robinson over some of our other forwards. Ok not all the time but he has given them a chance when he could have picked players who didn't grow up with the club.

the Realist

Feb 5, 2006
London Irish said:
Because a bit of celebrity gossip is unimportant and they might have taken the word of a PR on that, the story is inconsequential either way.

This story is of an entirely different dimension - the Argus would not have inputed those opinions to Knight without checking it with him first. If they had not been able to confirm it with him, it would have been worded very differently.

Quite frankly that is Bollocks

So you are saying that they approached the Chairman and he gave them the scoop by revealing that there are Boardroom revolts, struggles and problems going on

absolute codswallop

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
El Presidente said:
Yesterday was piss poor, but the club have not helped the situation by keeping the players in limbo about contracts. The club has known about relegation for two weeks, so there is little excuse for not being upfront with them about their futures.

If I was a player, and did not know whether I still have a job in a few weeks time, then the last thing I would do is risk getting an injury in a meaningless fixture. Ultimately a player's loyalty lies with providing for themselves and their families, which surely is no different from what we all do in our own jobs.

As a fan I don't like it, but I can see where the players are coming from.

trouble is it was not a meaningless fixture for them or the paying supporters.
the players should be playing the hearts out for the next contract the might be offered and to show the public and the management that they are worth keeping, and if the management can't make them see that then maybe we should have a change of manager and a massive clear out in the summer.

living in wales I don't get to see any games now,but it does strike me that whenever there is a commentator at the ground reporting to sky or whoever there seems to silence,its football not fecking snooker you are allowed to cheer and shout.
there has been no passion at all this season or if there has it has not been reported(apart from maybe the palarse game away we had complaints from people in cardiff ,some 25 miles away about the noise that night).

the time for silence at any game is when you are mid table and wondering how you are going to go up the next season.
I have always played devil advocate as far as MM is concerned and would have given him a chance next season,but this news has changed things.

MM out and I think its about time wilkins was given his chance at least for the first 10 games.
??? ??? ??? ???

Loft23

Dec 11, 2004
Burgess Hill
What annoyed me yesterday was the fact that after at least 5,000 home fans who paid good money to see their side lose 5-1 to a mid-table side at Home, he turns round and said the game was irrelevant and that the players weren't up for it.
If you're playing for a contract next season, then it's your last chance to impress the manager before pre-season so I would have thought the likes of Mayo would have been playing yesterday. Instead he sat on the bench and was an unused sub. Whats the point in that?
The lack of passion from the bench was unbelievable and as far as i'm concerned, a disgrace. Theres no shame in trying to get your players motivated during the game but I heard nothing from the bench for the whole 90 minutes.
Mark McGhee has tested my patience this Season and although I have always wanted McGhee to remain in charge, were he to be sacked i'd have not complaints at all. He's lost a number of the fans and by the looks of it he's lost a number of members of the team.

:albion:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
London Irish said:
Yes it is, but when you have a team that have been relegated, and many of whom have their contract discussions in limbo because of the boardroom problems, it's a tough ask, that's all.

Err, did you see the Crewe result yesterday?

Having said that I'm not sure its a good idea to give McGhee the boot now. If we were at Falmer and had just had a season like that then he should definately go. But we are not; so the circumstances call for a bit of managerial pragmatism by Dick.

If we get rid of him now there will, at best, be a several week hiatus whilst we sort someone else out. During this limbo period opportunities to sign new players will slip by and those out of contract will not know whether they feature in any new managers plans. Some we might want to keep may decide to leave if they get a guaranteed offer before the managers position at the Albion is sorted out.

Then if and when we get a new manager, he won't have the opportunity to get players down here - even if we had any cash. This is because any bargains will have been long snapped up and we'll be relying on "ones for the future" or dodgy videos once again.

Remember the close season which in the end produced Hinshelwood and what a mistake that was?

No, whilst the heart says get rid I think there are several sensible
reasons not necessarily connected with performances on the pitch - actually not ANY connected with performances on the pitch - which scream at us to keep hold of McGhee at least until we see how well he does at the start of next season.

Screaming J said:
Err, did you see the Crewe result yesterday?.
Yes, remind me who they were playing again?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Screaming J said:

During this limbo period opportunities to sign new players will slip by and those out of contract will not know whether they feature in any new managers plans. Some we might want to keep may decide to leave if they get a guaranteed offer before the managers position at the Albion is sorted out.

Then if and when we get a new manager, he won't have the opportunity to get players down here - even if we had any cash. This is because any bargains will have been long snapped up and we'll be relying on "ones for the future" or dodgy videos once again.

Apart from the manager situation, how does this scenario differ from any of the past pre seasons at Withdean bar the first two?

I do hope we won't have the usual false optimism of an influx of signings this time around because I don't believe it will happen.

the Realist said:
Quite frankly that is Bollocks

So you are saying that they approached the Chairman and he gave them the scoop by revealing that there are Boardroom revolts, struggles and problems going on

absolute codswallop

No, did I say Knight was feeding this stuff to Naylor? What I said is the Argus would not have printed what others have said about his attitudes without confirming it with him first. It is you who are living in the world of bollocks if you think printing hearsay on important stories like this is how newspapers work.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Who needs the Insider? We should have a Ask LI column. :lolol:

gts big bruv

Apr 15, 2004
Tavistock
London Irish said:
Yes it is, but when you have a team that have been relegated, and many of whom have their contract discussions in limbo because of the boardroom problems, it's a tough ask, that's all.
Then surley they should be trying even harder to impress and put the effort in to ensure a new contract with Brighton or another team

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I saw the club 19 times at home this season, 2 wins and 16 goals. Yesterday's debacle did a huge amount of damage to the pro McGhee cause. Fair play to LI for this 100% backing to McGhee but I think he would still support him if he took us down to the Conference.

I was all behind McGhee carrying on next season but yesterday's disgrace has made me question this.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Like Mansfieldwhippy I also had a 3.5 hour drive each way to see that shit. I wish MM had told me beforehand that the players weren't going to bother as I wouldn't have bothered spending my hard earned cash driving to watch them.

It wasn't a meaningless match to me, surely to not finish bottom is a matter of pride and that's what pisses me off the most, nobody on that pitch and in the dugout yesterday had any pride.

I wish I cared so little that I could stand there with my arms folded for 90 minutes.

:censored: :angry: :censored: :angry:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Stumpy Tim said:
Like LI not admitting to any of MM's failings, you have to admit his successes too....

LI won't admit to any of MM's failings:ohmy: Don't talk such rot.

If my money is subject to a regard of a bunch of people who I have little faith in to do what I ask for, I am not going to hire them.

The parallel can be drawn with any contractor, just as I am drawing it with my local football team.

I won't be risking any dough until that company changes it's attitude and professional regard for how they perform.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I was absolutely gutted that Joe Gatting didn't get a run-out yesterday, passion the belief and the fight has gone from our beloved club, our dug-out was completely motionless all game, I didn't see any motivation etc from Magoo or anyone else for that matter, what kind of manager just stands there with his f***ing arms crossed doing f*** all!

Ok it was a meaningless game, nothing to play for, but the players have to show they still want a contract in the summer, but I didn't seen any of this yesterday.

Magoo- Good effort by the lads- my arse!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
the Realist said:
Think we had won the championship by then and had just come to the end of a very long week - which included three games and plenty of partying.

They were entitled to a day off that day, and not one of the fans who had gone all the way to shrewsbury complained (even though the trains were f*cked and I didn't get home until gone 2am!)

I had a great day out that day. Nice, easy run up the motorway, full of blue and white all the way, walk round Shrewsbury, chat with some UKIP nutter, met some very friendly Shrewsbury fans both in the town and after the game and had a very pleasant journey back through Ironbridge. I came to celebrate and didn't really care about the result. Yesterday I might as well have been digging my garden. However, as for the season itself, sell your best two players, even if one was a self-regarding prima donna, and not replace them, what do you expect, especially with a division which was better than the year before? (remember how much influence Virgo had in games such as Leicester and Forest away and that Harding snuffed out Campbell-Ryce in the crucial game at Rotherham). However, I do think that MM, the players or both have some considerable questions to answer after yesterday's performance.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Have just watched the match highlights on Seagulls World and I've got to say the defence looked like it couldn't be arsed. Can't comment on the rest of the team, cos there was no attacking action, but the lads at the back looked like it was a kick-around on Preston Park and they'd had enough.

Time to call in the sports psychologist methinks. We have to be up for it next year or we'll be going down again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here