Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee admits we couldn;t be bothered

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
London Irish said:
Fair enough, but if words like f*** off and tosser are how you discuss strong disagreements, then it's a bit sad.

I hear tissues are on offer in Sainsbury's at the moment

ben andrews' girlfriend said:
I hear tissues are on offer in Sainsbury's at the moment

Thanks sweetie, I'll enlarge your avatar and put them to good use :)

rool

Jul 10, 2003
London Irish said:
Thanks sweetie, I'll enlarge your avatar and put them to good use :)

:eek: Now, I know DTG well and I don't think even I would get away with something like that

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
London Irish said:
What we all saw was a group of players almost certainly devastated by a long frustrating sesaon and many of them were not mentally at the races. That's a shame but it was a game too far for the squad and I just don't think it's really worth getting that worked up about.

For once, LI, I have to disagree. Nothing can excuse the pathetic performance yesterday. Why was it any different for Stoke - they had nothing to play for, and still seemed pretty motivated. Even when they were 4-0 up their bench were getting agitated when players weren't in the right position. I've supported McGhee all season, but yesterday was spineless beyond belief. I wonder if the guys out there on the pitch realised they were being watched by Wardy, who had just flown thousands of miles from Florida, arrived that morning at Gatwick, only to be greeted by a complete load of crap. On the basis of yesterday's display most of that team don't deserve to clean Wardy's boots. OK, it's bl00dy tough playing against better teams all the time, but we managed it last season, so it CAN be done. What I want to know is WHERE IS THE PASSION? McGhee, Booker and most of the team (with the honourable exceptions of Lynch & Loft) had zero passion yesterday. If we don't turn things round attitude-wise pretty damn quick, we'll be in the same spiral which has afflicted the likes of Stockport, Rotherham and Walsall. And that's scary.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If you act like a tosser i'm not going to mince my words really.

Well said young lady. :clap:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yesterday was piss poor, but the club have not helped the situation by keeping the players in limbo about contracts. The club has known about relegation for two weeks, so there is little excuse for not being upfront with them about their futures.

If I was a player, and did not know whether I still have a job in a few weeks time, then the last thing I would do is risk getting an injury in a meaningless fixture. Ultimately a player's loyalty lies with providing for themselves and their families, which surely is no different from what we all do in our own jobs.

As a fan I don't like it, but I can see where the players are coming from.

Well i was 15 when that was taken

Don't have time for a trip to Sainsbury's :ohmy:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
London Irish said:
The boardroom revolt is an incredibly damaging blow to McGhee's credibility alas. I think the club are now heading into pretty dangerous times.

It's already started unfortunately - we can't proceed with re-signing the current players out of contract. We had little hope of getting GNW - this now becomes no hope. The club is effectively paralysed. Unless Dick Knight asserts his authority soon, then I think we have a very difficult year ahead :(
It's no revolt! unfortunatly they have all agreed to call time on MM BB & DW and are probably finalising the legals plus of course when Ray should join his brother, good news though LI is that it wont be announced b4 midnight tonight so i've got a free curry and beer all night coming:clap2:

Jim in the West said:
For once, LI, I have to disagree. Nothing can excuse the pathetic performance yesterday. Why was it any different for Stoke - they had nothing to play for, and still seemed pretty motivated. Even when they were 4-0 up their bench were getting agitated when players weren't in the right position. I've supported McGhee all season, but yesterday was spineless beyond belief. I wonder if the guys out there on the pitch realised they were being watched by Wardy, who had just flown thousands of miles from Florida, arrived that morning at Gatwick, only to be greeted by a complete load of crap. On the basis of yesterday's display most of that team don't deserve to clean Wardy's boots. OK, it's bl00dy tough playing against better teams all the time, but we managed it last season, so it CAN be done. What I want to know is WHERE IS THE PASSION? McGhee, Booker and most of the team (with the honourable exceptions of Lynch & Loft) had zero passion yesterday. If we don't turn things round attitude-wise pretty damn quick, we'll be in the same spiral which has afflicted the likes of Stockport, Rotherham and Walsall. And that's scary.

Well, I thought John Byrne made a telling point on SCR, which was that Stoke looked like a side who knew their footballing futures belonged in the division, whereas we looked like a team that had suffered the crushing blow of relegation. I think that sums it up for me.

chicken run said:
It's no revolt! unfortunatly they have all agreed to call time on MM BB & DW and are probably finalising the legals plus of course when Ray should join his brother, good news though LI is that it wont be announced b4 midnight tonight so i've got a free curry and beer all night coming:clap2:

Errr.......congratulations :down:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
London Irish said:
They cost more than that! :)

I don't think he did excuse it in the manner you suggest, he called the entire game "painful". He said it was an "irrelevance" in a certain context, which was our survival chances this season.

McGhee yesterday put out a strong team and an attacking one - he did not short-change fans by playing a load of squad players who were far more likely to get rolled over in the manner we did eventually see, alas :(

If we had played the youth teamers and they would have got thumped, many people would have had a go at McGhee for leaving out the better players and giving the younger players a scarring experience. Once again, damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. A hungry player like Loft brought in did well, another like Nicolas less so.

What we all saw was a group of players almost certainly devastated by a long frustrating sesaon and many of them were not mentally at the races. That's a shame but it was a game too far for the squad and I just don't think it's really worth getting that worked up about.
LI excuse me not mentaly at the races, it's the managers job to make them turn up to the races!

chicken run said:
LI excuse me not mentaly at the races, it's the managers job to make them turn up to the races!

Yes it is, but when you have a team that have been relegated, and many of whom have their contract discussions in limbo because of the boardroom problems, it's a tough ask, that's all.

chicken run said:
Micky Adams wouldnt have allowed that to happen yesterday

Seem to remember us getting tonked at Shrewsbury on the last day of 2000-2001. It happens with end of season games and nothing to play for - even for the great Micky Adams. The Shrews were 83rd in the Football League, a bit lower than Stoke!

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
chicken run said:
Micky Adams wouldnt have allowed that to happen yesterday

Yes but Mickey fecked off when the going got tough.

the Realist

Feb 5, 2006
London Irish said:
Yes it is, but when you have a team that have been relegated, and many of whom have their contract discussions in limbo because of the boardroom problems, it's a tough ask, that's all.
What boardroom problems?
London Irish said:
The boardroom revolt is an incredibly damaging blow to McGhee's credibility alas. I think the club are now heading into pretty dangerous times.
What boardroom revolt?
London Irish said:
But this is a far bigger issue than McGhee now. I really do worry about boardroom struggles when we have a 68-year-old chairman.
What boardroom struggles?

How do we know that the board are not actually united and that it is just Magoo, through his nom-de-plume Andy Naylor, trying one last desparate throw of the dice to create a bit of unrest that might just salvage him something - not least that when he is applying for new jobs he can say "Well the Chairman was behind me but he was outflanked"

Last edited:

the Realist

Feb 5, 2006
London Irish said:
Seem to remember us getting tonked at Shrewsbury on the last day of 2000-2001. It happens with end of season games and nothing to play for - even for the great Micky Adams.

Think we had won the championship by then and had just come to the end of a very long week - which included three games and plenty of partying.

They were entitled to a day off that day, and not one of the fans who had gone all the way to shrewsbury complained (even though the trains were f*cked and I didn't get home until gone 2am!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here