Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee admits we couldn;t be bothered

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
London Irish said:
Yep, a penniless club can really afford to give you back your reduced rate tickets, can't they? ???

f*** right off you patronising wanker. The club may have no money but that isnt an excuse for the attitude of McGhee or yesterday's performance.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
McGhee and the team cocked up big time yesterday, but in the grand scheme it means f*** all. If we go on a 5 match winning streak for the 1st 5 games of next season who is gonna remember yesterday?

For my money McGhee has delivered in two seasons out of three, yesterday sounds like an absolute disgrace BUT maybe the tank ( no pun intended :) ) was empty for both the players and the management.

How we start next season is crucial. If there is no spirit, vocal captain and we are producing lacklustre performances 10 games into next season, I will join the cry for McGhee's head.

What happened yesterday is f***ing annoying and unprofessional but not a reason to become hysterical about McGhee and the team.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Icy Gull said:

What happened yesterday is f***ing annoying and unprofessional but not a reason to become hysterical about McGhee and the team.

Thats the point, it was unprofessional and it sets an alarming president for future games. As well as sending out the wrong message to the fans. The first game of the season is unimportant as well as we can't be promoted or relegated from it, infact we shouldn't bother turning up until at least 10 games have been played and we can see if the players and manager are bothering or not.

joey_jo_jo_jr_shabadoo said:
f*** right off you patronising wanker.
Yeah, you're a great fella with that impression of a foul-mouthed chav you're doing :clap:

What cracks me up is you buy REDUCED RATE tickets and still demand your money back! That is cheap.

Icy Gull said:
McGhee and the team cocked up big time yesterday, but in the grand scheme it means f*** all. If we go on a 5 match winning streak for the 1st 5 games of next season who is gonna remember yesterday?

For my money McGhee has delivered in two seasons out of three, yesterday sounds like an absolute disgrace BUT maybe the tank ( no pun intended :) ) was empty for both the players and the management.

How we start next season is crucial. If there is no spirit, vocal captain and we are producing lacklustre performances 10 games into next season, I will join the cry for McGhee's head.

The boardroom revolt is an incredibly damaging blow to McGhee's credibility alas. I think the club are now heading into pretty dangerous times.

It's already started unfortunately - we can't proceed with re-signing the current players out of contract. We had little hope of getting GNW - this now becomes no hope. The club is effectively paralysed. Unless Dick Knight asserts his authority soon, then I think we have a very difficult year ahead :(

Albion Dan said:
By calling you a patronising wanker hes impersonating a Chav? How so? Scraping the barrel yet again Mr Irish.

It's a shame someone like you would defend the use of aggressive and offensive language like that to other users Dan.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
London Irish said:
Yeah, you're a great fella with that impression of a foul-mouthed chav you're doing :clap:

What cracks me up is you buy REDUCED RATE tickets and still demand your money back! That is cheap.

It doesn't matter if the ticket was REDUCED RATE or not, I am still out of pocket and had to sit through some of the most passionatless football I've ever seen from the Albion.

I was there spending my money at Gillingham and at last days of the Goldstone and even then performances were poor but they were not excused by the manager as being a meaningless game. If the game was meaningless then that means my support and money is meaningless to them so I would rather have it back and spend it on something not so meaningless.

It was a league game with 3 points on offer so the manager should have acted like it mattered even if it would not save us from the drop. Meaningless games are pre season friendlies that cost £5 to get in at Worthing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
The boardroom revolt is an incredibly damaging blow to McGhee's credibility alas. I think the club are now heading into pretty dangerous times.

It's already started unfortunately - we can't proceed with re-signing the current players out of contract. We had little hope of getting GNW - this now becomes no hope. The club is effectively paralysed. Unless Dick Knight asserts his authority soon, then I think we have a very difficult year ahead :(

Better a board room struggle now than halfway through next season imo. Can't see a queue forming for our out of contract players and although I don't advocate sacking MM, if it's going to happen at least the new manager gets to start with as clean a slate as possible, and hopefully a budget to sign his own preferred players. If MM stays then he should be able to re-sign any of those he wants to, who's contracts have expired. If the past few seasons are anything to go by, we'll only end up with new players nobody else wants, about a week before the season starts. So although it's less than ideal I don't see that anything of any consequence player wise would have happened for a couple of months anyway :(

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
It installs a very dangerous precident I think. I think it is a huge failure of the manager that he could get over HALF his team up for the game. That is very worrying.

Too true. Next time we're already relegated with one home game to play (which could be sooner rather than later with the current lack of investment in the playing side) the club should expect an attendence of a number approaching a big fat ZERO. Least we know what to expect from the team next time.

Last edited:

joey_jo_jo_jr_shabadoo said:
It was a league game with 3 points on offer so the manager should have acted like it mattered even if it would not save us from the drop. Meaningless games are pre season friendlies that cost £5 to get in at Worthing.
They cost more than that! :)

I don't think he did excuse it in the manner you suggest, he called the entire game "painful". He said it was an "irrelevance" in a certain context, which was our survival chances this season.

McGhee yesterday put out a strong team and an attacking one - he did not short-change fans by playing a load of squad players who were far more likely to get rolled over in the manner we did eventually see, alas :(

If we had played the youth teamers and they would have got thumped, many people would have had a go at McGhee for leaving out the better players and giving the younger players a scarring experience. Once again, damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. A hungry player like Loft brought in did well, another like Nicolas less so.

What we all saw was a group of players almost certainly devastated by a long frustrating sesaon and many of them were not mentally at the races. That's a shame but it was a game too far for the squad and I just don't think it's really worth getting that worked up about.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
London Irish said:
It's a shame someone like you would defend the use of aggressive and offensive language like that to other users Dan.

I guess I didnt find what he said particuarly aggressive or offensive.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
London Irish said:
They cost more than that! :)

I don't think he did excuse it in the manner you suggest, he called the entire game "painful". He said it was an "irrelevance" in a certain context, which was our survival chances this season.

McGhee yesterday put out a strong team and an attacking one - he did not short-change fans by playing a load of squad players who were far more likely to get rolled over in the manner we did eventually see, alas :(

If we had played the youth teamers and they would have got thumped, many people would have had a go at McGhee for leaving out the better players and giving the younger players a scarring experience. Once again, damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. A hungry player like Loft brought in did well, another like Nicolas less so.

What we all saw was a group of players almost certainly devastated by a long frustrating sesaon and many of them were not mentally at the races. That's a shame but it was a game too far for the squad and I just don't think it's really worth getting that worked up about.

You can think what you like pal, however I will continue to think what i like.

The game may have been a step to far this season but McGhee's comments leave a bad taste in the mouth. We know it was meaningless in the terms of the entire season, however a win yesterday or even something resembling a good performance (something we havent seen at home for months) would have left the fans feeling upbeat about next season. Instead he comes out with comments that make us wonder why we bothered to turn up, something along the lines of "I am sorry the fans had to witness that performance, we wanted to go out with something better than that to thank them for their support this season" would have been a lot better and left him at least showing that he cares about the performance.

Icy Gull said:
Better a board room struggle now than halfway through next season imo. Can't see a queue forming for our out of contract players and although I don't advocate sacking MM, if it's going to happen at least the new manager gets to start with as clean a slate as possible, and hopefully a budget to sign his own preferred payers. If MM stays then he should be able to re-sign any of those he wants to, who's contracts have expired, and if the past few seasons are anything to go by, we'll only end up with new players nobody else wants about a week before the season starts. So although it's less than ideal I don't see that anything of any consequence player wise would have happened for a couple of months anyway :(

Well, we did have some plans in place to get Tom Brighton, for example. This player and his agent must view the current situation where the manager cannot act with authority over contracts as a very bad sign indeed.

But yes, otherwise you are probably right.

But this is a far bigger issue than McGhee now. I really do worry about boardroom struggles when we have a 68-year-old chairman. Why the hell does he need this? :nono:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
London Irish said:

f*** off LI - i'm so glad that i didnt go, because to get a "Cheap ticket" i would have to work for 3 HOURS - if i did go, i'd currently be writing for a refund!

Albion Dan said:
I guess I didnt find what he said particuarly aggressive or offensive.
Of course you don't, because it was directed against me and you are excercising double standards. If I called you a f***ing wanker after you made some points about the game yesterday, I daresay you would not be so philosophical.

double post

Last edited:

ben andrews' girlfriend said:
f*** off LI - i'm so glad that i didnt go, because to get a "Cheap ticket" i would have to work for 3 HOURS - if i did go, i'd currently be writing for a refund!

Is it not possible you can make your point Bag without swearing at me? It really debases discussions on here.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
London Irish said:
Is it not possible you can make your point Bag without swearing at me? It really debases discussions on here.

If you act like a tosser i'm not going to mince my words really.

ben andrews' girlfriend said:
If you act like a tosser i'm not going to mince my words really.

Fair enough, but if words like f*** off and tosser are how you discuss strong disagreements, then it's a bit sad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here