Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] McGhee 99% likely to leave by end of week!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
DIFFBROOK said:
I've read the article and its almost certainly Fat Boy Slim as the "major investor". If it was someone from outside, then Naylors story would even be more sensational.

To me the story of McGee is a non story. So what if the board are split. This board is split. Remember Naylor has a story to sell.

Whats important is that the future direction of this club continues. That must be Falmer. I would prefer DK to continue to take us forward and I suspect that will continue to be the case.

As Chapman says "I'm sure something will be worked out this week". Maybe a compromise of say a October deadline of massive improvement? I mean its not as if McGee will have lots of dosh to spend/waste in the pre-season. Whoever is the manager will be working with what we have.

Chapman/Knight as Chairman? I would love to see DK walk out onto Falmer as Chairman, but If not as long as somebody does.

Chapman Chairman/Dick Knight life President anybody.

As for Withdean, its a dead issue

That could very well be the case, and why Fatboy Slim is rumoured to have withdrawn his Skint sponsorhip. Wanting value for money? Conflict of interest, should he become a major shareholder?

Hmmmm

Lush

Mods' Pet
the Realist said:
Incidentally - at ANY other club (that did not have the same money issues as ourselves) it would be a no-brainer that McGhee would be sacked with his record over the last one-and-a-half season.

It is only a debating issue because we have no money.

Well the new investor (who certainly is not a mystery as just about everybody knows who it is) has now provided suffiicent financial input to ensure that we can take this decision on footballing grounds as opposed to financial ones.

And on footballing grounds he must walk.

I think it is also a financial decision. We live hand to mouth. It's my guess that season tickets aren't selling well at all - and a lot of this could be put down to the McGhee factor. With a new manager in and spirits lifted, we might sell a lot more.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck said:
But it could still be chucked at them as being an element of old boys network if McApline (which they will) win the tender.

It could be, but no one actually in the business world regards that as a conflict of interest, a few uninformed people might but they don't matter. Being a director of one company handing out contracts to another company that you own is wrong.

You are right, I am going to agitate against this because it is the right thing to do for the interests of the Albion.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Uncle Buck said:
But when the take over took place he was placed on the board by McAlpines with the controlling 1% stake (Knight and Pinnock held had 49.5% and Archer the same). Events mean he is no longer a McAlpine employee, but if McAlpine win the contact it is as likely that conflict of interests will be used against them and Perry as it will be if Adenstar get some of the work, as the links are there.
Not quite true. McAlpine didn't place him there.

Martin Perry was part of the Dick Knight consortium, and a very shrewd signing, because of his history of getting stadiums built. The fact that he worked for McAlpine doesn't necessarily follow that the company itself put him there. When it became clear how much work it was going to take to get this thing moving, then Martin was brought in full-time and made Chief Executive of the club, and he accordingly left McAlpine.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
LI seems to me to make some valid points, any potential conflict of interests could have the power to scupper us I would guess, however, as I understand it, you cant just appoint a contractor, you need to have tendered to at least 4 contractors by European Law, of course, you could then still just appoint your favourite anyway, I dont know enough about this process to be sure though. Does anyone else?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
It could be, but no one actually in the business world regards that as a conflict of interest, a few uninformed people might but they don't matter. Being a director of one company handing out contracts to another company that you own is wrong.

You are right, I am going to agitate against this because it is the right thing to do for the interests of the Albion.

But none of this is happening at present.

All that looks to be happening is the very timely demise of a failing manager.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
BarrelofFun said:
That could very well be the case, and why Fatboy Slim is rumoured to have withdrawn his Skint sponsorhip. Wanting value for money? Conflict of interest, should he become a major shareholder?

Hmmmm

I actually thought the decision on the Skint sponsorship wasn't Fatboys anyway...... thought it was the guy that owns skint with Norman ( his name escapes me)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Im sure that if 4 contracts or whatever was tendered McAlpine, Adenstar or whoever will probably be the most competitive, regardless of who the chairman is. Its a dead cert that we want these two companies involved.

So it will be a business decision as opposed to someone being in cahoots with various parties?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
What are you on about? Is making a series of pointless jibes at me the limit of your scrutiny of the board then?

What am I on about? Nice one. How comes questioning you is a pointless jibe, not scrutiny? I intend to pass judgement on these so called events when more concrete information is available. I dislike the way you assume you are the only one who has an intelligent point of view.

London Irish said:
It looks as though the limit of "board scrutiny" allowable on this thread is "Magoo out, great, let's all have a beer"

I certainly don't adhere to this generalisation and a lot of other people on this board don't. And if you paid attention you would see that I have made a jibe at Rougvie and BG, however the fact that these jibes point out how ridiculous this thread is does not make them pointless.

Albion Dan said:
Do you need my bank details to pay me my £20?

I got off lightly with just you taking me up on the bet - what a missed opportunity for all the other Magoo outers that was, eh? :)

When the dirty deed is finally done, you can have your pound of flesh, or twenty!

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:
I got off lightly with just you taking me up on the bet - what a missed opportunity for all the other Magoo outers that was, eh? :)

When the dirty deed is finally done, you can have your pound of flesh, or twenty!

We didnt want to see you out of house and home!!! Youd be selling the family silver before you know it.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck said:
But none of this is happening at present.

All that looks to be happening is the very timely demise of a failing manager.

Indeed - as I said the limits of so-called "Board scrutiny" is in fact Magoo out.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Lush said:
Is Norman Cook still that wealthy? He's hardly been setting the world on fire recently.

Apart from that obviously being illegal :jester: I thought he had been doing a fair amount of tours. Didn't he do a massive tour?

Edited: Japan, South Africa, Brazil and Venezuela... http://www.fatboyslim.net/start.htm

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BarrelofFun said:
I know that. But perhaps he would rather become a shareholder, than just a sponsor, which would be near impossible to do, hand in hand.
Not at all.

One, he has been offered shares in return for his investment. He has declined. Secondly, it's not uncommon for the major shareholder to be the main sponsor. One example - John Madejski's Auto Trader sponsoring Reading FC while he still owned the title.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
BarrelofFun said:
Apart from that obviously being illegal :jester: I thought he had been doing a fair amount of tours. Didn't he do a massive tour?

I heard he was getting a filthy amount of money for that gig he is doing at Loch Ness or wherever !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here