Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] McGhee 99% likely to leave by end of week!

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
London Irish said:
Indeed - as I said the limits of so-called "Board scrutiny" is in fact Magoo out.

Before you label everyone on here stupid.....can you not answer my question, as to where your information on what is happening at 'board' level comes from??

You don't seem to want to answer......you have NO facts, as I said over an hour ago, you are just making it up.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Large One said:
Not at all.

One, he has been offered shares in return for his investment. He has declined. Secondly, it's not uncommon for the major shareholder to be the main sponsor. One example - John Madejski's Auto Trader sponsoring Reading FC while he still owned the title.

But wasn't he the sole owner? Surely if there were multiple shareholders, it could lead to unrest.

I want Adenstar to sponsor them...

I want Skint to sponsor them...

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Redhead said:
An interesting point, presumabally enough to buy out MM's contract and provide a new manager a small transfer kitty.

Well this is my point...so many questions and not enough answers..... but that doesn't stop people jumping to conclusions does it

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
London Irish said:
I got off lightly with just you taking me up on the bet - what a missed opportunity for all the other Magoo outers that was, eh? :)

When the dirty deed is finally done, you can have your pound of flesh, or twenty!
I believe Mr The Large One owes the REMF £20 when magoo goes if it's before August...

I think that was the bet we had although I'd had a few Magners at the time...

Alan, confirm...

:jester:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BarrelofFun said:
But wasn't he the sole owner? Surely if there were multiple shareholders, it could lead to unrest.

I am not sure I understand your point. Fatboy Slim doesn't work for Skint. He is merely signed as an artist to them. And as someone who is not really a businessman in that sense, I can't see that he would really get excited over who sponsors the Albion.

Sponsoring the Albion is a business decision taken in the best interests of both parties. If there is an auction as to who decides who sponsors the club, that surely can only be beneficial to the Albion.

Last edited:

BarrelofFun said:

Could you please make up your mind BEFORE you post. If you can't, then perhaps start a poll first to help clarify your stance.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Large One said:
I am not sure I understand your point. Fatboy Slim doesn't work for Skint. He is merely signed as an artist to them. And as someone who is not really a businessman in that sense, I can't see that he would really get excited over who sponsors the Albion.

I thought Fatboy Slim owned Skint. Apologies if I got that wrong. That makes my whole argument flawed! Oh well, wasted a bit of the day ;)

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
BarrelofFun said:

surley its just who is willing to pay the higher sponsorship ???

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BarrelofFun said:
I thought Fatboy Slim owned Skint. Apologies if I got that wrong. That makes my whole argument flawed! Oh well, wasted a bit of the day ;)
I don't know the breakdown of who owns what at Skint, but the two main protagonists are Damien Harris (aka Midfield General) and Andy McKirdy (aka Andy Mac). In addition to their sponsorship of the Albion, Skint were very supportive in many ways of the Seagulls Ska single. Plus, every time we have needed prizes for Forty Notes stuff, they have been very generous - clearing out their old stock room - in giving them to us.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
If there is someone ready to take the club onto the next level then let them do it Dick Knight, although a hero has reached his level and should step aside.

The fact that Derek Chapman called Norman Baker a "wanker" in the press means he passes my interview immediately.

Suggestions that they wouldn't be aware of potential conflicts of interest over Adenstar and the stadium build are pathetic - do you really think that someone with Chapman's knowledge of building processes would jepodise the club he loves chance of a new home.

Uncle Buck said:
But is that down to the fact that most of us do not view the 'plot' to oust McGhee as certain board members trying to gain control of the club?
Well, that's very trusting.

Scrutiny certainly becomes a very easy thing if you let events wash over you complacently without asking some awkward questions about who benefits in power struggles.

My experience of what happens in business is somewhat different to that.

If a board develops major differences over strategic direction, in this case, over a signficant management employee, then usually the faction that loses doesn't hang around inside the business that long in an executive role as their authority is significantly compromised.

When the losing faction in this case could be the chairman and chief executive, those fears are even more heightened.

I know some on here are viewing this board disagreement like a few fans talking in the pub. The stakes are a bit higher than that - the future of a multi-million pound business adds a different dimension to impasse disagreements.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
BarrelofFun said:
If there is a race for control of the club, unless McAlpine signed an agreement, it looks as if it will be a fight to the death for that crucial 1%.

It could be like the Dallas story line over 10 voting shares and that ended in a shooting. Who shot McAplines???????????

Albion Rob

Maybe if we had finished in a position that was not bottom of the league and 12 points from safety and McGhee had not insulted the supporters who forked out cash to go to Wolves then watch us get thrashed by Stoke by claiming the games were 'irrelevant' then I would maybe wonder about boardroom shenanigans. It strikes me that it is more a case of McGhee failed badly, not necessarily in terms of individual results but in terms of the overall performances and the direction he seems to be heading the club.

Another word on 'irrelevant' fixtures. These occur when you have won the league and the fans are having a party in the stands, when you're already in the playoffs and don't want to risk injuries or when you're safely mid-table and are trying out kids. 'Irrelevant' fixtures do not occur when you have been relegated with little more than a whimper and further humiliations will serve only to rub the fans' noses in it and lead to further questions about your own relevance to a football club.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Albion Rob said:
Maybe if we had finished in a position that was not bottom of the league and 12 points from safety and McGhee had not insulted the supporters who forked out cash to go to Wolves then watch us get thrashed by Stoke by claiming the games were 'irrelevant' then I would maybe wonder about boardroom shenanigans. It strikes me that it is more a case of McGhee failed badly, not necessarily in terms of individual results but in terms of the overall performances and the direction he seems to be heading the club.

Another word on 'irrelevant' fixtures. These occur when you have won the league and the fans are having a party in the stands, when you're already in the playoffs and don't want to risk injuries or when you're safely mid-table and are trying out kids. 'Irrelevant' fixtures do not occur when you have been relegated with little more than a whimper and further humiliations will serve only to rub the fans' noses in it and lead to further questions about your own relevance to a football club.

:clap:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
London Irish said:
Well, that's very trusting.

Scrutiny certainly becomes a very easy thing if you let events wash over you complacently without asking some awkward questions about who benefits in power struggles.

My experience of what happens in business is somewhat different to that.

If a board develops major differences over strategic direction, in this case, over a signficant management employee, then usually the faction that loses doesn't hang around inside the business that long in an executive role as their authority is significantly compromised.

When the losing faction in this case could be the chairman and chief executive, those fears are even more heightened.

Why are you getting fired up about a bunch of rumours in a dross rag, the story has so many holes in it, it is almost impossible to speculate what is going on. as others have noted this Naylor story was printed purely to wind people up, my guess is the board will vote democratically ay the end of the week as to whether Mcghee should stay or not.....The vote will happen.... Mcghee will get sacked, storm in a teacup over.

Keep going though LI, it's very amusing seeing you getting royally owned and kicked on the floor like this big boy.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
London Irish said:
It could be, but no one actually in the business world regards that as a conflict of interest, a few uninformed people might but they don't matter. Being a director of one company handing out contracts to another company that you own is wrong.

You are right, I am going to agitate against this because it is the right thing to do for the interests of the Albion.

your understanding of conflicts of interest ignore the fact that disclosure and independent scrutiny are two remedies commonly available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here