Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McFauls blasts Wilkins' "terrible man-management skills"

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Because it's an easy day for him!!! means a phone call not getting off his sorry arse to go and do some real journalism.

And go ahead slag me off for it.

What is this if not real journalism? Manager leaves job in unusual circumstances, reporter attempts to shed more light on those circumstances by speaking to those who had dealings with the manager at the time? Sounds pretty standard to me.

Naylor is justifiably criticised on here quite a bit. This time, though, I think those criticisms are wide of the mark.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yeah, that would be REALLY clever... speaking out against the person who is currently in line to be the 1st team coach. :thud:

You gotta stop thudding your head like that !!

If players within the current first team squad felt that Wilkins was in some way a negative force within the club, they wouldnt be such an effort from the club to keep him, no doubt.

Its a total misrepresentation of Wilkins and that is unacceptable.

These random quotes from released players hold no credability whatsoever, but it does start to hurt Wilkins reputation and that is a sad reflection of this whole episode.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
FOR f*** SAKE.

It sells PAPERS. It doesn't NEED to be helpful!
It's an INTERESTING story - look at the discussion it's sparked here.

Stop blaming Naylor, it's such a copp out!

But that's the whole point - it's not interesting and only you and your black, grey and white furry friend seem to be dumb enough to have fallen for it. Still, it gives you a chance to be nice and negative, so go for your life.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
What is this if not real journalism? Manager leaves job in unusual circumstances, reporter attempts to shed more light on those circumstances by speaking to those who had dealings with the manager at the time? Sounds pretty standard to me.

Naylor is justifiably criticised on here quite a bit. This time, though, I think those criticisms are wide of the mark.

OK your opinion but i know him personally, Know what he is like and most of all his reporting style and how he gets his information!!!!!!!!!!!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
You gotta stop thudding your head like that !!

If players within the current first team squad felt that Wilkins was in some way a negative force within the club, they wouldnt be such an effort from the club to keep him, no doubt.

Its a total misrepresentation of Wilkins and that is unacceptable.

These random quotes from released players hold no credability whatsoever, but it does start to hurt Wilkins reputation and that is a sad reflection of this whole episode.

If as has often been said, he is seen as a GOOD coach, and that is the job he has been offered, it would be very odd for a player in the 1st team squad to speak out against him (even if it did relate to his management skills rather than coaching).

If he accepts the coaching job on offer then I think most people will be pretty happy with that.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
But that's the whole point - it's not interesting and only you and your black, grey and white furry friend seem to be dumb enough to have fallen for it. Still, it gives you a chance to be nice and negative, so go for your life.

It's not interesting if you DENY any HINT of negativity surrounding the club.

I haven't fallen for anything - i'm intruiged by the opinions and they suggest to me that Wilkins might well be a crap man manager, combined with previous evidence. There is no FACT about it however.

Perhaps you are seeing "Andy Naylor", and then 'falling' for the fact that it's negative bullshit! Maybe if the article had said 'by Brian Talbot' there wouldn't be an issue!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It's not interesting if you DENY any HINT of negativity surrounding the club.

I haven't fallen for anything - i'm intruiged by the opinions and they suggest to me that Wilkins might well be a crap man manager, combined with previous evidence. There is no FACT about it however.

Perhaps you are seeing "Andy Naylor", and then 'falling' for the fact that it's negative bullshit! Maybe if the article had said 'by Brian Talbot' there wouldn't be an issue!

Do you really think there is anything in that article other than a pissed off player who had his chance, didn't do enough and was packed off back to Ireland? All the article does is offer him the opportunity to have a public dig at the manager, which I don't think is necessary. Sure, there is a "hint of negativity" from the released players. What a surprise...

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Sounds more like a player (mcfaul) foistered onto Wilkins, who he probably, just didn,t rate, or want.
It,s possible.............only possible of course..........that McFaul was signed rather hastily, following Dick Knights infamous radio interview, re; the "5 players".

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Do you really think there is anything in that article other than a pissed off player who had his chance, didn't do enough and was packed off back to Ireland? All the article does is offer him the opportunity to have a public dig at the manager, which I don't think is necessary. Sure, there is a "hint of negativity" from the released players. What a surprise...

As pointed out, you're not going to get an interview with current players slagging off a current (well, for the moment) member of staff!

The evidence in negative articles from Savage, George O'C, Hammond, Reid and now McFaul indicates the club is a shambles, with Wilkins man-management contributing heavily. I've yet to hear a player say positive about it!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If as has often been said, he is seen as a GOOD coach, and that is the job he has been offered, it would be very odd for a player in the 1st team squad to speak out against him (even if it did relate to his management skills rather than coaching).

If he accepts the coaching job on offer then I think most people will be pretty happy with that.

Why would you not recognise that released players are always likely to hold some greivance with the club or persons within it.

I would suspect that Naylor has pestered every released players for specific quotes, primarily the man management question.

To date only Reid and now Mcfaul have been quoted, both wholly irrelevant to the future of the club at present.

I do hold my breathe with Reid though, as I have been told that they have close personal links with the Knight family and maybe, just maybe there might be a way back for him.

That worries me.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If you're accusing AN of making up quotes, then go ahead and do it. I can't see how a reporter who did that could keep such good contacts or his job for so long.

All I'd say is, I hope that Andy Naylor offered the club - or Dean Wilkins - the right of reply before submitting that piece.

Apart from that, McFaul's grumbling (completely pointless now) does seem consistent other things I've been hearing about Wilkins' management style, and his approach to the squad hierarchy.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
As pointed out, you're not going to get an interview with current players slagging off a current (well, for the moment) member of staff!

The evidence in negative articles from Savage, George O'C, Hammond, Reid and now McFaul indicates the club is a shambles, with Wilkins man-management contributing heavily. I've yet to hear a player say positive about it!

What were the quotes from Savage, Hammond and O'Callgahan regarding Wilkins man managment?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What were the quotes from Savage, Hammond and O'Callgahan regarding Wilkins man managment?

There was none as I guess there remains a mutual respect.

But this really is the problem as just 2 players have made the quote. yet supposedly informed supporters have indicated that Forster, Hammond, O'Callaghan and Savage have all questioned Wilkins man mangement.

This is not true, however some on here are basing their own arguments against Wilkins on these inaccuracies.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There was none as I guess there remains a mutual respect.

But this really is the problem as just 2 players have made the quote. yet supposedly informed supporters have indicated that Forster, Hammond, O'Callaghan and Savage have all questioned Wilkins man mangement.

This is not true, however some on here are basing their own arguments against Wilkins on these inaccuracies.

Savage and O'Callaghan ripped into Knight, not Wilkins. Can't remember what Hammond said.

Two players hae been quoted specifically about Wilkins' style. Two more (none under contract now) have made comments - not to Naylor or the Argus - about Wilkins, and one of those mentioned about two more (still under contract) making comments.

No names.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here