Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mayo SLATES Wilkins' training regime

Say one thing you dont let up on your support of a 'jolly boys outing' !!

How about a comment about the professionlism demands by successful clubs ??

But I am assuming your ethos is having laugh during training .... jeeez

At which time do you feel adult players need to stop learning and have a laugh ahead of trying to achieve success ..?

WTF are you on about? Support of a 'jolly boys outing'? Where do you get that from? Some light hearted, enjoyable moments during training does not constitute supporting a 'jolly boys outing'. Success can be achieved with a balance of hard work and making work enjoyable. A concept that has clearly passed you by. Where have I said adult players need to stop learning in preference to having a laugh ahead of trying to achieve success?

deano seagulls

May 11, 2008
Has Wilkins got another job yet ???? noooo...so it looks like other clubs are not exactly falling over themselves in the rush to employ him....

And how do any of us know that Dean and Ian haven't been offered jobs - they may just be taking time out - i would of imagined that they are both still being paid by the club so what the rush -sit back enjoy the summer and watch the comedy show unfold at the withdean!!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Different players will respond better to different types of training.

A good manager (Adams) has seen this and obviously is targeting his training to the individual. A less experienced manager (Wilkins?) might not have done this?

If you had any man management skills you would know this

Surely you guys understand that it is a contridiction to accept Wilkins is an outstanding coach, whilst somehow accepting Mayo's comment that his training sessions might of been tedious in someway.

You CANNOT be an outstanding coach without players responding positively to the training session you have organised.

We must accept that Wilkin's coaching is first class, so that indicates that they must be imaginative and technically very good and most players should enjoy the opportunity for improvement, alas some don't.

But of course enjoyment can be mean different things to different people.

I doubt whether it was much fun for either Hart or Mayo to train each day knowing that they were not going to be involved on a matchday.

But to intimate that Adams training techniques are better fun, probably means that they are both pleased with their re-instatements, whilst feeling optimistic for their improved chances of game time, something I fear will quickly disappear.

But just like Wilkins, in time Adam's will mould his first team squad and inevitably some pro's again will be excluded and feel frozen out.

Those same players that are laughing today will be muttering and offering their negative views on Adam's own man-management style and training techniques !!

Those same players that are laughing today will be muttering and offering their negative views on Adam's own man-management style and training techniques !!

I don't recall too much of that during his first spell here and players always seemed quite happy to re-join him.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I don't recall too much of that during his first spell here and players always seemed quite happy to re-join him.

What players re-joined him who were unable to be a regular first team squad members from any previous spell ??

And how do any of us know that Dean and Ian haven't been offered jobs - they may just be taking time out - i would of imagined that they are both still being paid by the club so what the rush -sit back enjoy the summer and watch the comedy show unfold at the withdean!!

Wilkins possibly is still being paid by the club. I doubt very much that Chapman is. He resigned off his own back.

What players re-joined him who were unable to be a regular first team squad members from any previous spell ??

Paul Brooker? That's one that immediately springs to mind. The point being that I'm sure there won't be a long line waiting to rejoin Wilkins wherever he surfaces (except maybe a couple of his former youth players) whereas with Adams I'm sure you don't need reminding that there have been a quite a few (not always to The Albion)-strangely enough, Watson being one.

Interesting how you always try and deflect a response to one of your posts.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Paul Brooker? That's one that immediately springs to mind. The point being that I'm sure there won't be a long line waiting to rejoin Wilkins wherever he surfaces (except maybe a couple of his former youth players) whereas with Adams I'm sure you don't need reminding that there have been a quite a few (not always to The Albion)-strangely enough, Watson being one.

Interesting how you always try and deflect a response to one of your posts.

I just dont agree with your interpretation of Mayo's quote and how you feel that it should hold much credability and offer it as a positive for Adam's.

You seem to give too much credit to any manager when it comes to signing or re-signing players.

I would suspect there would be many that would re-join Wilkins IF he was at a club that could offer a comaprable salary and a chance to play regular first team football if they were not currently playing at their current club.

If Wilkins was at a perceived bigger club he could also probably nick a player or two from us that were currently playing regularly too.

As for his former youth team players, it might be argued that they might be the most valuable and most in demand players we have right now, so to somehow use them as a stick to beat Wilkins with is once again a flawed interpretation.

Why ?

Maybe at youth team level, but have seen nothing to suggest he is as first class coach in regard to senior pros or at first team level.

You're wasting your time with this one-he is blinkered when it comes to Wilkins.

Dandyman

In London village.
Surely you guys understand that it is a contridiction to accept Wilkins is an outstanding coach, whilst somehow accepting Mayo's comment that his training sessions might of been tedious in someway.

You CANNOT be an outstanding coach without players responding positively to the training session you have organised...

Unless you're a lardy over-rated ginger has-been.

I imagine there would probably be a payout clause both ways

wouldn't be aa point of contractual law as CHAPPERS chose to resign rather than acccept a new position that was offered to him by the club. the club is therefore under no obligation to ic as it was ic who broke the terms of his contract with the club. There may have been a payment but it would be an ex-gratia affair...

and anyway they are still on holiday

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Mayo has the bloody cheek to slate Wilkins training methods and then goes and get skinned for a goal.
Wilkins was RIGHT to axe him and not renewing his contract.Wilkins saw his faults and had enough of him.If only Adams watched Mayo against good opposition before passing judgement.No good looking at him against Burgess Hill/Bognor etc.
I wonder if he regrets it now.

But I expect that Adams has been at these games and seen how he has performed and has also seen him in training, unlike you!

Yet another NSC loud mouth speaking abour performances he hasn't seen!

Mayo was one of the better players for us on the picth on Saturday. Majority of passes to other Albion players and one or two great through balls that nearly set up goals.

But dont let the FACTS get in the way of your arguement!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here