Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mayo SLATES Wilkins' training regime

But I expect that Adams has been at these games and seen how he has performed and has also seen him in training, unlike you!

Yet another NSC loud mouth speaking abour performances he hasn't seen!

Mayo was one of the better players for us on the picth on Saturday. Majority of passes to other Albion players and one or two great through balls that nearly set up goals.

But dont let the FACTS get in the way of your arguement!

Mr B, don't you know anything? Mayo is shit and Wilkins walks on water. The fact that ALL Albion managers (bar one) since Jimmy Case have used Mayo in some capacity or other has nothing to do with it.

And there I was, thinking you knew what you were on about...

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You're wasting your time with this one-he is blinkered when it comes to Wilkins.

Come on, you need to better than that.

I have put some points I beleive are valid, disagree by all means and put your arguments, but that response is woeful !!!

You give credability to Mayo's quote about Wilkins training last year that was contridicted by Mayo himself in an earlier quote.

You then feel that Adams therefore training fun and banter will reap results, i disagree, I think there is more to professional football than Mayo and Hart enjoying themselves.

You felt Wilkins couldnt sign anyone except a few ex-yout team player, I reckon that he could entice any of our 'out of first team squad' if Wilkins wanted assuming he could offer them comparable salaries, seems likely to me.

Those ex- youth team players I am assuming you might mean are Dean Cox, Joel Lynch, Tommy Elphick, Tommy Fraser and Adam El-abd etc.

Seems maybe they are our most valuable players, so wouldnt dismiss those contacts too lightly.

Yeah I will keep supporting Wilkins, I genuinely felt that his professionalism would help us progress, the recent quotes from disenchanted older pro's does not effect my view.

Debate if you want, but dont sulk, ffs.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Why ?

Maybe at youth team level, but have seen nothing to suggest he is as first class coach in regard to senior pros or at first team level.

They has been a general consensus from within the club, it was the club that wanted him to stay as first team coach including Micky Adams and Dick Knight even Andy Naylor said what a brilliant coach he is.

Some of the players too have quoted that, although Mayo has kinda back tracked a little.

Therefore it seems likely he is a top coach, he was the first team coach before his promotion too.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
They has been a general consensus from within the club, it was the club that wanted him to stay as first team coach including Micky Adams and Dick Knight even Andy Naylor said what a brilliant coach he is.

Some of the players too have quoted that, although Mayo has kinda back tracked a little.

Therefore it seems likely he is a top coach, he was the first team coach before his promotion too.

Andy Naylor said what a brilliant coach he is ?

Oh the Andy Naylor who as a journo has worked with the great coaches of world football, like erm...... Ian Chapman ?

I haven't said that Wilkins is a shit coach, but i would seriously question the first class status you have given him. For example how did Wilkins coaching improve the albion side last year. The corners and free kick routines for a start were a joke, and the only free kick i can remember us scoring was when the whole south stand was shouting shoot !

You also mention that Wilkins was the first team coach before he became the manager, he was..... for three months !

I would say Wilkins has the atributes of a very very good youht development coach, but lacks the ablity to achieve results at a higher level.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Andy Naylor said what a brilliant coach he is ?

Oh the Andy Naylor who as a journo has worked with the great coaches of world football, like erm...... Ian Chapman ?

I haven't said that Wilkins is a shit coach, but i would seriously question the first class status you have given him. For example how did Wilkins coaching improve the albion side last year. The corners and free kick routines for a start were a joke, and the only free kick i can remember us scoring was when the whole south stand was shouting shoot !

You also mention that Wilkins was the first team coach before he became the manager, he was..... for three months !

I would say Wilkins has the atributes of a very very good youht development coach, but lacks the ablity to achieve results at a higher level.

Coaching is a little deeper than corners and freekicks.

But I think you will find that Adams has said that Wilkins was an excellent coach and highly thought of within the game and Knight himself offered a similar summary.

He was the first team coach before being promoted, yes !!

It would follow that the club thought that his performance whilst working closely with the first team squad warranted that promotion to manager and delivered us a very credable 7th place.

I am assuming you feel that Ian Capman coaching credentials are poor too.

You must be beside yourself with what we have to offer this year in terms of our current coaching staff !!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Coaching is a little deeper than corners and freekicks.

But I think you will find that Adams has said that Wilkins was an excellent coach and highly thought of within the game and Knight himself offered a similar summary.

He was the first team coach before being promoted, yes !!

It would follow that the club thought that his performance whilst working closely with the first team squad warranted that promotion to manager and delivered us a very credable 7th place.

I am assuming you feel that Ian Capman coaching credentials are poor too.

You must be beside yourself with what we have to offer this year in terms of our current coaching staff !!

I know it is deeper than corners and free-kicks, that was just part of the point that no part of our game has been improved by this 'supposed' excellent coach. No players seemed to have improved, ie Jake Robinson and we didn't seem to improve as a side in the 18 months he was in charge. Our only improvement was by bringing new players in, not improving those we had.

I agree he is an excellent youth team coach, but fail to see any proof of him being an excellent first team coach.

I don't know Chapmans coaching ablilties, only that he appears to have limited experience of coaching at any level above county league.

As for our current coaching staff, yes i'm pleased as we have a manager and coach who both have experience of winning things.

As for Wilkins, would love him to have stayed as coach as sure he could have learnt from Micky and possibly become a great coach. My only point is that i cannot see and evidence that Wilkins was a first class coach.

Come on, you need to better than that.

I have put some points I beleive are valid, disagree by all means and put your arguments, but that response is woeful !!!

'That response' isn't woeful-it is a fact. You can see absolutely nothing wrong with Wilkins but the club's board of directors thought he wasn't up for the job. You seem to think you know more than them. I know whose side I'm on in this matter. Remember now-it was a BOARD decision. Not just down to Dick Knight whom you seem to despise.

You then feel that Adams therefore training fun and banter will reap results, i disagree, I think there is more to professional football than Mayo and Hart enjoying themselves.

Nothing like twisting what I said is there? I actually said "Has it occurred to you that perhaps his training experience with the ADULT players wasn't all that it could have been? Just because they're professionals doesn't mean that they can't enjoy themselves training. Looking at footage from clubs high in the Premiership, their players seem to have a laugh during training sessions so how come they still manage to be at the top of their game yet still enjoy themselves?". Don't let what I actually said get in the way of what you imagined I meant.

You felt Wilkins couldnt sign anyone except a few ex-yout team player, I reckon that he could entice any of our 'out of first team squad' if Wilkins wanted assuming he could offer them comparable salaries, seems likely to me.

If he ever gets another manager's job we'll get to see won't we? In the meantime, I'll stick with my belief that he'd only ever entice some of his youth players. Not a fact-that's what I believe.

Yeah I will keep supporting Wilkins, I genuinely felt that his professionalism would help us progress, the recent quotes from disenchanted older pro's does not effect my view.

His professionalism? What, like the professional way he alienated some of the older pros during training? I suppose in your mind that never happened?

Debate if you want, but dont sulk, ffs.

Sulk? What the f*** would I want to sulk about? You and your persistent defending of Wilkins? I think you need to grow up if that's what you think. You are not somebody I'd sulk over-sorry.

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
I know it is deeper than corners and free-kicks, that was just part of the point that no part of our game has been improved by this 'supposed' excellent coach. No players seemed to have improved, ie Jake Robinson and we didn't seem to improve as a side in the 18 months he was in charge. Our only improvement was by bringing new players in, not improving those we had.

I agree he is an excellent youth team coach, but fail to see any proof of him being an excellent first team coach.

I don't know Chapmans coaching ablilties, only that he appears to have limited experience of coaching at any level above county league.

As for our current coaching staff, yes i'm pleased as we have a manager and coach who both have experience of winning things.

As for Wilkins, would love him to have stayed as coach as sure he could have learnt from Micky and possibly become a great coach. My only point is that i cannot see and evidence that Wilkins was a first class coach.

And how many games have we played so far - 0

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Well, one thing was improved by the 'supposed' excellent coach, and that was our leasgue position. Or maybe that was down to all the other teams being crap.

And how is it Wilkins' fault that Jake hasn't improved over 18 months. Could it just be the fact that he's as good as he's going to get? Or if he doesn't improve over the coming months under Micky Adams, does that make Micky a failure as well?

For f*** sake stop having digs at Wilkins. He's gone. How many on here would have been behind him had he still been in charge now. Probably most of us. Wilkins in my opinion was shit on from a great height, but has he gone public and had goes at Dick Knight. No. Has he crisitised his players. No. Have certain players who many would agree shouldn't still be here critisied him. Yes.

Mayo and Harts little digs in the press have been out of order. They knew full well what they were saying when they said it, and I don't think the team will be moving full steam ahead, while we have deadwood like these on board.

I wait to be proved wrong about Hart and Mayo chances next season, but somehow I don't think I will be on this one.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Well, one thing was improved by the 'supposed' excellent coach, and that was our leasgue position. Or maybe that was down to all the other teams being crap.

And how is it Wilkins' fault that Jake hasn't improved over 18 months. Could it just be the fact that he's as good as he's going to get? Or if he doesn't improve over the coming months under Micky Adams, does that make Micky a failure as well?

For f*** sake stop having digs at Wilkins. He's gone. How many on here would have been behind him had he still been in charge now. Probably most of us. Wilkins in my opinion was shit on from a great height, but has he gone public and had goes at Dick Knight. No. Has he crisitised his players. No. Have certain players who many would agree shouldn't still be here critisied him. Yes.

Mayo and Harts little digs in the press have been out of order. They knew full well what they were saying when they said it, and I don't think the team will be moving full steam ahead, while we have deadwood like these on board.

I wait to be proved wrong about Hart and Mayo chances next season, but somehow I don't think I will be on this one.

Did you read my post

Never said Wilkins was a shit manager, or coach for that matter. or did i mention Adams being any better

Was making a point in that i have never seen any evidence that he is a first class coach

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Nothing like twisting what I said is there? I actually said "Has it occurred to you that perhaps his training experience with the ADULT players wasn't all that it could have been? Just because they're professionals doesn't mean that they can't enjoy themselves training. Looking at footage from clubs high in the Premiership, their players seem to have a laugh during training sessions so how come they still manage to be at the top of their game yet still enjoy themselves?". Don't let what I actually said get in the way of what you imagined I meant.
But to be honest, when have you ever really seen a premiership professional enjoying themselves training. YOu very really, if ever get to see them train in the true sense of the word. The clubs allow the cameras in for the start of the session, or maybe at the end of it. You rarely if ever actually see them properly training.
I'm sure even that 'nasty' Dean Wilkins allowed banter between the players and allowed them to smile.

It's been said until its got boring on here now, but its only the ones who weren't playing who didn't enjoy training, and have been letting themsleves down in the press.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Did you read my post

Never said Wilkins was a shit manager, or coach for that matter. or did i mention Adams being any better

Was making a point in that i have never seen any evidence that he is a first class coach
Did you read my post?

Never said you said Wilkins was a shit manager.

But you wasn't exactly postive about him was you. I mean it comes to something when you suggest a player hasn't improved under 18 months of his coaching. Talking about scrapping the barrel for negatives against the man.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
obviously a sentiment echoed by your English teacher.

:lolol::lolol: Tsk...oi: grade A at O level, and that was back in the days when they were worth something...if you can stomach it, re-read a bit of the ever-amusing offerings from BhaDeb to this fine website to see the source of my sadly evidently too-subtle sarcasm...

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Well you wasn't exactly postive about him was you. I mean it comes to something when you suggest a player hasn't improved under 18 months of his coaching. Talking about scrapping the barrel for negatives against the man.

Could say likewise about your view of my post.

All i was saying is i can see no evidence of him being such a first class coach.

I like Wilkins, and as i said would love to see him stay, but in my opinion his coaching ablities are over hyped

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Mayo and Hart have been signed as a result of a typical Knight cheapie move.They are not retained, a certain amount of regret is expressed by some supporters then at the last minute with no other league interest they are offered another season at a reduced wage. The wage bill is reduced but at what cost?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
All i was saying is i can see no evidence of him being such a first class coach.

I like Wilkins, and as i said would love to see him stay, but in my opinion his coaching ablities are over hyped
If you take a look at the first team squad, and the players brought on by Dean Wilkins, I cannot see how you can try and argue he's not a first class coach.

1 Michel Kuipers NED G 1.88 90 26-06-74 Amsterdam Bristol R
2 Andrew Whing ENG D 1.83 76 20-09-84 Birmingham Coventry C
3 Matt Richards ENG D 1.73 70 26-12-84 Harlow Ipswich T
4 Adam Hinshelwood ENG D 1.78 81 08-01-84 Oxford None
5 Joel Lynch ENG D 1.85 81 03-10-87 Eastbourne None
6 Adam El-Abd ENG D 1.78 85 11-09-84 Brighton None
7 Dean Cox ENG M 1.63 69 12-08-87 Cuckfield None

8 Steven Thomson SCO M 1.73 68 23-01-78 Glasgow Falkirk
9 Nicky Forster ENG F 1.75 72 08-09-73 Caterham Hull C
10 David Livermore ENG M 1.80 79 20-05-80 Edmonton Hull C
11 Kevin McLeod ENG M 1.80 70 12-09-80 Liverpool Colchester U
12 Gary Hart ENG M 1.75 78 06-11-75 Harlow Stansted
13 John Sullivan ENG G 1.88 89 08-03-88 Brighton None
15 Kerry Mayo ENG D 1.78 80 21-09-77 Cuckfield None
16 Colin Hawkins IRL D 1.85 79 17-08-77 Galway Coventry C
17 Glenn Murray ENG F 1.83 80 25-09-83 Workington Rochdale
18 Doug Loft ENG M 1.83 77 25-12-86 Maidstone Hastings U
19 Jake Robinson ENG F 1.75 70 23-10-86 Brighton None
20 Joe Gatting ENG F 1.80 78 25-11-87 Brighton None

21 Jonny Dixon ENG F 1.75 70 16-01-84 Murcia Aldershot T
22 Tommy Fraser ENG M 1.80 81 05-12-87 Brighton None
23 Adam Virgo SCO D 1.88 85 25-01-83 Brighton Celtic
24 Tommy Elphick ENG D 1.80 73 07-09-87 Brighton None
25 Scott Chamberlain ENG M 1.80 84 15-01-88 Brighton None
26 Wes Fogden ENG M 1.75 73 12-04-88 Brighton None

Add to that Dean Hammond, & Dan Harding, I wouldn't say he's not a first class coach. Maybe not your Alex Ferguson, but I would love to know why you think his abilites are over hyped? And why would you love him to stay, if he's not a first class coach. He's been coaching for over 10 years, and has coached under Micky Adams before, so why would you love a second rate coach (in your opinion) to have stayed with us?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Mayo and Hart have been signed as a result of a typical Knight cheapie move.They are not retained, a certain amount of regret is expressed by some supporters then at the last minute with no other league interest they are offered another season at a reduced wage. The wage bill is reduced but at what cost?
They're just there to pad the squad out. Hart and Mayo are no better than third choice for the positions they can play in.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
They're just there to pad the squad out. Hart and Mayo are no better than third choice for the positions they can play in.

As opposed to Fogden and Chamberlain! :dunce:

Also, a further flaw in your argument - you can't provide evidence that Cox, Hammond, Elphick and co weren't just a ridiculously good group of youngsters who came his way. I don't believe that the case, and think Wilkins probably was a bloody good coach (of younger, inexperienced men anyway), but there is no way of knowing for certain if that's the case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here