Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mayo SLATES Wilkins' training regime

Interesting post. So all that stuff we heard about him undermining DK and the board about contracts, Hammond, etc was a load of rubbish? (I'm not saying that in an aggressive tone BTW, it's an honest question.)

Maybe, maybe not. I mean, you're relying on Lloyd a) knowing the EXACT score, and b) telling the whole truth to a fan. I'm not questioning the relaying of this conversation here, just how honest ol' Bazza was, or how much he really knows anyway. He's been in the game long enough to know what you should and shouldn't say outside of the confines of the club after all.

I didn't go to Withdean a lot last season (and probably won't this season) because I personally, given my circumstances and the amount of people who expect me to pay for their tickets, found it too expensive. Nothing more, nothing less.

Fair enough. I did go, and the quality of some of the football was dire. As others have said already the players sometimes seemed perplexed by the instructions coming off the bench, and dismissive of Wilkins. I am sure that I will not be the only person glad to see the back of that ridiculous white board that came out during games.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
“Training is enjoyable again now. We can have a laugh and a joke as long as we work hard as well.

“I wasn’t enjoying it last year. It was very much done by the coaching manual. It was textbook, stop and start, and it became boring. Micky makes sessions fun. Training has been brilliant.”

Good old 'amazing coach' Deano :clap::clap:

If you want fun Kerry go down the park - you were here to do a job not have fun!!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I think you'll find we finished 7th last season because the division was total crepe.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you vary training its probably a bit more interesting, but if you do the same stuff day in and day out it must become a little boring.
Adam`s way might be tedious in 12 months time though, not that Mayo will be there to worry about it.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
If you want fun Kerry go down the park - you were here to do a job not have fun!!

Obviously they are there to do a job, but isn't it the manager and coaches job to make it as enjoyable for them as possiblem, that way you get more out of your players.

I will stick my neck out here and suggest that we got to 7th place despite Wilkins' methods, not because of them.

*prepares to be lynched*

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Obviously they are there to do a job, but isn't it the manager and coaches job to make it as enjoyable for them as possiblem, that way you get more out of your players.

I will stick my neck out here and suggest that we got to 7th place despite Wilkins' methods, not because of them.

*prepares to be lynched*

Not Lynched - he did quite well. Arf, arf.

I'm prepared to believe we got to seventh because of him, but I'd need convincing that we'd have done dramatically better (something we need to do to go up) next season with him.

All hypothetical, of course.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Making work enjoyable to get more out of people? DISCUSTING idea.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Perhaps Wendy is a very good youth coach, who gives players the routine and discipline that are critical at that stage of their career development, but not as good when it comes to dealing with older individuals. There is no reason just because you are good at one activity you are automatically good at another.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So Mayo likes the new training regime. Perhaps they have pizza and kebabs at the end of it.

Doubtful as nobody has ever mentioned Tank having to be dragged kickin and screamin, from the club.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Good to see Kerry continuing his inconsistency !!!

10th June 2008 Kerry says "Dean Wilkins is probably one of the best coaches there is around''

and in the same interview offered this :

"I always got on well with the manager and all the coaching staff''

''I think overall the season Dean Wilkins had was a successful one''

But now he is saying how much of a laugh it is and last year was all too textbook ( professional maybe ! ) !!

Its a throw away comment that I would suspect is something directed to endear himself with the current coaching staff rather than to in someway be disparaging to Wilkins.

Players ALWAYS have there own agenda, and it is always themselves they try to look after and no amount of kissing the badge will allow me to think otherwise.

Maybe players at this level really cannot conform to the levels of professionalism that players and managers at higher levels readily accept.

The most basic of requirements would for players to achieve a level of fitness that would give them every chance to have an advantage over their opponents or at least be equitable to them, but we ourselves have seen some of our own player's blatantly out of shape, some performing admirably, but woefully under their own potential.

I am sure that there has been lots of laughing in training this week ( sniggers too from some of the pro's in response to the latest signings ! ), but I hope too that they are focused and prepared and prepared as well as Wilkins would of demanded.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

*prepares to be lynched*

I've heard it all now, an improvement of 12 places in a season, all due to the squad galvanising itself in the face of adversity. We certainly have a different opinion of the average footballers mentality.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I bumped into Dean Wilkins in the pub one evening. He was friendly enough, but I was tring to talk football and all he wanted to talk about was attendances falling. Perhaps he was being put under pressure about the poor crowds.

D

Deleted member 2719

So he has be given a contract and i am sure he will want to prove how good he is and will probably be taking a position from a youngster for the season then what happens?

Dean was brave took risks with the youth and looked for the future of the Albion.
Mayo should remember that more than anyone so what the F*ck is he doing gobbing off to the press.

:nono:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can see why people are saying a coach has to make training as enjoyable as possible for his players, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a great coach.

I'm sure Newcastle United's training sessions under Keegan are just one great barrel of laughs, five a side and shooting practice, but who thinks they'll win anything any time soon?

On the other hand, Fabio Capello has a reputation for working players hard and instilling discipline amongst his charges.

Which is the more successful manager?

Mayo comes across as bitter because he wasn't in the team, and his outburst has the distinct aroma of somebody sucking up to the new boss while he has the chance.

I'm sure he does enjoy training more these days, but a lot of that must be down to the fact that he still has a job for another year, and isn't facing the humilation of having to work at JJB Sports part time while turning out for Lewes or Bognor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here