Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I am not sure if that anyone hates Ryan, quite the opposite for most. But some of the goals conceded this year and Dunk's drop in form have really exposed his weakness in particular the first manure goal when the freekick ball fizzed across the box and defenders really could not touch it . Also 2 of the Everton goals when Dunk and Ryan both went to the Everton player with the ball , Webster got dragged in and then left a runner to score. Dunk has gone across because he took responsibility as he knows the keeper is not decisive. The question is whether we have enough money to get an upgrade as he certainly is better than Steele.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think Ryan is a bad keeper, It's Dunks dip in form and apparent lack of leadership which has highlighted the issues in defence. Someone needs to dominate and manage the area.

I prefer it if it was the keeper as he should always be looking in the right direction and be behind the ball.
Let's not forget only one poster constantly has the 'get rid' agenda.
Only one poster is regularly calling him bad.

It seems the overwhelming majority of posters believe Ryan to be 'good enough for now'.

Sure that's damning with faint praise.
It can certainly be looked at from a half full/half empty perspective, but either way, he's ok.

Now if the club truly want to fulfill Tony's Top 10 dream, evidence would suggest that's unlikely to be with Ryan.

I think he's plenty good enough to put himself out of a job!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
This side might well prove to be our best ever (maybe) but I personally wouldn’t put Ryan in our top 6 keepers at the Albion.

You may disagree.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Reckon I could list fifty, remove Albion tinted glasses and it really isn't that hard.

Can we have your first 20 please.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This side might well prove to be our best ever (maybe) but I personally wouldn’t put Ryan in our top 6 keepers at the Albion.

You may disagree.

eric steele , moseley ....kuipers ........surely its can't fill the defences confidence to the brim when apparently , according to twatty o , ryans best course of action at corners is to shout "away" at the top of his voice , in my days it was "keepers" "bobbies" or "*****" the keeper shouting "away" is not a good look ...."keepers" would be better.....not a dig.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Can we have your first 20 please.

I really don't rate Ryan at all, that's really no secret. Nothing personal about it, he seems a great guy, but to me he's just not a competent Premier league keeper. Poor with crosses, little control of his six yard box and questionable positioning. He also has the knack for making routine saves look anything but.

I felt more confident with Stockdale than I do Ryan, and would feel no worse if Potter decided to start Steele over him. I know I'm gonna get berated for all that but it's just how I see it.

The list fifty thing was an 'off the cuff' remark, but in all honesty I reckon if I sat down and thought about it for a while, I probably could.

Off the top of my head a few I feel would at least offer competition, which I'm sure will get laughed at by most:

Lossl (Everton) Romero (Manure) Ruddy (Wolves) Alnwick (St Mirren) Etheridge (B'ham) Butland (Stoke) Begovic (B'muff) McCrorie (Livingstone) Krul! (Nawch) Rudd (PNE)

Ryan isn't the worst keeper in the world, but he is one of the worst starting keepers in the prem which puts us at a massive disadvantage before kicking a ball. If we're aspiring to become a top half side we need to strengthen at both ends of the pitch or call it as it is, being serial strugglers happy to just make up the numbers.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I really don't rate Ryan at all, that's really no secret. Nothing personal about it, he seems a great guy, but to me he's just not a competent Premier league keeper. Poor with crosses, little control of his six yard box and questionable positioning. He also has the knack for making routine saves look anything but.

I felt more confident with Stockdale than I do Ryan, and would feel no worse if Potter decided to start Steele over him. I know I'm gonna get berated for all that but it's just how I see it.

The list fifty thing was an 'off the cuff' remark, but in all honesty I reckon if I sat down and thought about it for a while, I probably could.

Off the top of my head a few I feel would at least offer competition, which I'm sure will get laughed at by most:

Lossl (Everton) Romero (Manure) Ruddy (Wolves) Alnwick (St Mirren) Etheridge (B'ham) Butland (Stoke) Begovic (B'muff) McCrorie (Livingstone) Krul! (Nawch) Rudd (PNE)

Ryan isn't the worst keeper in the world, but he is one of the worst starting keepers in the prem which puts us at a massive disadvantage before kicking a ball. If we're aspiring to become a top half side we need to strengthen at both ends of the pitch or call it as it is, being serial strugglers happy to just make up the numbers.
to be fair he has been left exposed at set pieces of late but i would agree , he hasn't really done an awful lot between the posts recently.Etheridge and Ruddy are decent calls.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Ryan is not being helped by having no real competition for his place and never really has had all the time he’s been here.
I have the same concerns with Maupay and Connolly now too, it’s not good to know you’re a starter purely because there’s no one else.

Like an earlier poster I rate Krul higher than Ryan. A keeper needs to have presence, especially in this league, he has very little and this is his worst failing, not sure it can really be coached either.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

To be fair I admit I feel largely the same. Not the worst keeper out there but never fills me with any confidence as he rarely dominates his box largely down to his size.

Feel that probably sooner rather than later he needs some serious competition for his place.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am guessing Stat’s Ryan alert is on the blink. he is not going to be happy with the last few posts on this thread when it kicks back in.......

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Ryan is a very good keeper who has one, and only one, major flaw which is that he is unable to dominate his area and be the first line of arial defence, particularly at set pieces. The reason for this has been well rehearsed on here.

Agree, never saves league pens, and from high balls he's suspect......... Being rooted to the line now doesnt help.

Just by chance I watched this again today as it was the next video YT selected after an albion one I watched.

2 years ago, no doubt it was self inflicted on Ryan by a shocking Bruno clearance........ but keeper should be out jumping with his extended arm reach and punching that. It was bad keeping also.

One of many poorly handled aerial balls around the 6 yard box unfortunately. Opposition teams analysts will know full well of this weakness.

He is good with his feet, and a great fella, not the worse but is deficient in areas.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am guessing Stat’s Ryan alert is on the blink. he is not going to be happy with the last few posts on this thread when it kicks back in.......
WTF are you on about.

If my defence of Ryan:-

'He's a good enough 11th to 17th Premier League keeper'

Puts me in the 'rabid hear no wrong' category of uberfan then everyone else must absolutely despise every waking breath Ryan takes.

It's hardly the most fulsome praise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here