Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I wonder if stalker keeper could help our defenders more. It feels like Duffy and Dunk we’re happy to cover the six yard box but maybe the current formation needs a keeper to dominate more? We quite often concede a goal from a header close in.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Maybe the thread should be renamed “Should Ryan have come for that”. A weekly discussion about our seemingly rooted-to-the-spot keeper?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Seems to put himself and the team under pressure when playing out to feet, often players are right on top of him because he’s so friggin slow.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
But in terms of our needs, an upgrade is down the list IMO.

IMO we cannot progress without a physical presence up front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This. An upgrade on Ryan would be great if at all possible, but it seems decent goalkeepers are harder to find than strikers at the moment. That Pickford is still considered a viable option for the England team shows how low the bar is set and Ryan measures up well when you look at it from that perspective.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
I wonder if stalker keeper could help our defenders more. It feels like Duffy and Dunk we’re happy to cover the six yard box but maybe the current formation needs a keeper to dominate more? We quite often concede a goal from a header close in.

Giraffe, can you or another mod rename this thread as “Maty Ryan analysis and discussion” or something similar to that please? Thanks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seems to put himself and the team under pressure when playing out to feet, often players are right on top of him because he’s so friggin slow.

I am sure you are fully aware of the fact you'd be writing that irrespective of who was in goal.

After a loss the players on here are bombarded with the same miseries moaning about the same mistakes.

They play how they've been trained all week, month and now year by Potter.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I am sure you are fully aware of the fact you'd be writing that irrespective of who was in goal.

After a loss the players on here are bombarded with the same miseries moaning about the same mistakes.

They play how they've been trained all week, month and now year by Potter.
Actually thought Steele was getting the ball out to feet quicker than Ryan. Just an observation.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Actually thought Steele was getting the ball out to feet quicker than Ryan. Just an observation.

I suggest he has closed the gap to Ryan as a first team option with his displays in the Cup

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

He may well have been but we don't play Preston and Pompey every week, at the moment!!!

It just doesn't matter who's in goal.

All the time the team is toothless upfront the world's fastest kickerer will still be playing the ball off the strikers toes, if playing for the Albion.
Because the striker has nowhere else he needs to be.

Which is how Potter wants it.

Last edited:

The Albion

Apr 15, 2019
Looking at the performances of Adrian, De Gea, Pickford this round, and Kepa the past few weeks, really puts things into perspective for me. Right now there are so many PL keepers making regular glaring errors, whereas with Ryan people are needing to actively put some kind of case forward as to why they don’t rate him i.e. he isn’t obviously performing poorly like so many PL keepers are.

Perspective is key.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Looking at the performances of Adrian, De Gea, Pickford this round, and Kepa the past few weeks, really puts things into perspective for me. Right now there are so many PL keepers making regular glaring errors, whereas with Ryan people are needing to actively put some kind of case forward as to why they don’t rate him i.e. he isn’t obviously performing poorly like so many PL keepers are.

Perspective is key.

Ryan is a very decent keeper, not by any means flawless but definitely good enough and he gets a lot of unsubstantiated shit. Its difficult to find keepers who are equally good and fits the style. Sure, Valencia is desperately trying to get rid of one before the deadline tomorrow, but I cant see it happening. I think Ryan will be the first choice for another year or two and then the team might start to outgrow his capacity, but overall I feel safe and comfortable with Ryan in goal. There's not a lot of keepers in the PL that I would trade him for, quite a few of them look like nervous wrecks.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Ryan is a very good keeper who has one, and only one, major flaw which is that he is unable to dominate his area and be the first line of arial defence, particularly at set pieces. The reason for this has been well rehearsed on here.

AlbionInUs

Oct 11, 2019
US
I really don’t understand the hate on Ryan. He is isin’t the best keeper, but he is reliable, and doesn’t make many mistakes. He is good with his feet too.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I definitely don't know how to assess keepers. I really wish I did. I often wonder about Ryan...

A great goalkeeper can win or lose you matches, obviously.
I always think of Peter Schmeichel when I think of the perfect keeper - tall, loud, aggressive, commanding and of course talented.

Take these stats, that I picked up from my brother (via Sky) and Twitter (via an AlbionAnalytics retweet) for whatever they are worth:

[tweet]1309463217060577280[/tweet]

longshots.jpg

My brother thinks he is too short and really wants him replaced.
I'm concerned that he doesn't boss set pieces and corners, and doesn't have a good understanding with his defenders (although, I think the whole team has an issue with corners and set pieces...).

Sometimes he looks amazing. Better than Pickford anyway! :lol:
And his primary role lately has been to act as a sweeper. His footwork is a lot better, and so is his distribution. Although I must admit I wince a little when the opposition is pressing high.

Can we do better? Should we try to do better? I don't know the answer to these questions. But I can't help but think there was some truth in the rumours connecting us to other keepers over the summer.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I definitely don't know how to assess keepers. I really wish I did. I often wonder about Ryan...

A great goalkeeper can win or lose you matches, obviously.
I always think of Peter Schmeichel when I think of the perfect keeper - tall, loud, aggressive, commanding and of course talented.

Take these stats, that I picked up from my brother (via Sky) and Twitter (via an AlbionAnalytics retweet) for whatever they are worth:

[tweet]1309463217060577280[/tweet]

View attachment 129115

My brother thinks he is too short and really wants him replaced.
I'm concerned that he doesn't boss set pieces and corners, and doesn't have a good understanding with his defenders (although, I think the whole team has an issue with corners and set pieces...).

Sometimes he looks amazing. Better than Pickford anyway! [emoji38]
And his primary role lately has been to act as a sweeper. His footwork is a lot better, and so is his distribution. Although I must admit I wince a little when the opposition is pressing high.

Can we do better? Should we try to do better? I don't know the answer to these questions. But I can't help but think there was some truth in the rumours connecting us to other keepers over the summer.
Sometimes he looks amazing ???

When was that ?

One save Vs Southampton last season and that was that.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I really don’t understand the hate on Ryan. He is isin’t the best keeper, but he is reliable, and doesn’t make many mistakes. He is good with his feet too.
Let me explain it for you.

Upon signing 1 poster said he was shitehouse. (Remember that bit as I'll circle back to it at the end)

Ryan's first game was against Valencia.
He was actually pretty decent but had a calamitous moment.
We all forget the decent bit.

Some more of the permamoan dickheads now decided he was shitehouse.

The next couple of games each had a further calamitous moment, albeit not as entirely Ryan's fault, as before, but there was more than enough to cement in first impressions.

So now we find ourselves in the position where the club and fans are 4 years into the career of a decent bottom half Premier League keeper.

He's been outstanding, he's saved penalties and points kept clean sheets cost the team point too, pretty much like every other keeper in world football.

He's been a model professional and a genuine club man.

But, here's the thing, one poster was the first to say he was shitehouse.
That opinion will never ever change irrespective of the reach needed to continually valid it, every week we will be told 'Ryan should have saved that', until the moment he leaves.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Let me explain it for you.

Upon signing 1 poster said he was shitehouse. (Remember that bit as I'll circle back to it at the end)

Ryan's first game was against Valencia.
He was actually pretty decent but had a calamitous moment.
We all forget the decent bit.

Some more of the permamoan dickheads now decided he was shitehouse.

The next couple of games each had a further calamitous moment, albeit not as entirely Ryan's fault, as before, but there was more than enough to cement in first impressions.

So now we find ourselves in the position where the club and fans are 4 years into the career of a decent bottom half Premier League keeper.

He's been outstanding, he's saved penalties and points kept clean sheets cost the team point too, pretty much like every other keeper in world football.

He's been a model professional and a genuine club man.

But, here's the thing, one poster was the first to say he was shitehouse.
That opinion will never ever change irrespective of the reach needed to continually valid it, every week we will be told 'Ryan should have saved that', until the moment he leaves.
I used to like Ryan.

But I turned on him when he came back from international duty with Oz after a tournament during the season and was totally unfocused for weeks including a sleepy game where we lost against Fulham away. Ever since then I just don't trust him and think he's painfully average.

We can do better ....

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't think Ryan is a bad keeper, It's Dunks dip in form and apparent lack of leadership which has highlighted the issues in defence. Someone needs to dominate and manage the area.

I'd prefer it if it was the keeper as he should always be looking in the right direction and be behind the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here