Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's makes no sense at all. Wouldn't you be happier supporting Chelsea or Man City ?

You've always struck me as someone who would.....
He does support Chelsea.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Why did he give away a penalty? White and Dunk were covering, Werner's touch essentially let White back in to clear. If Ryan doesn't needlessly foul him, we don't concede a penalty and Werner doesn't score. It was daft to bring him down. It wasn't the only mistake involved in that goal, obviously, but it was as unnecessary as the poor pass from Alzate.

Nothing he can do about the second or third goals though, and he didn't punt as many balls into the stand last night which was encouraging.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Why did he give away a penalty? White and Dunk were covering, Werner's touch essentially let White back in to clear. If Ryan doesn't needlessly foul him, we don't concede a penalty and Werner doesn't score. It was daft to bring him down. It wasn't the only mistake involved in that goal, obviously, but it was as unnecessary as the poor pass from Alzate.

Nothing he can do about the second or third goals though, and he didn't punt as many balls into the stand last night which was encouraging.

It was clever play from Werner, nothing more. He's a world-class striker and one of the best finishers in the world. Ryan, like any good keeper, played the percentages. If he doesn't come out he would be relying on a super clinical player to fluff his lines on his shot. He comes out to narrow the angle of a potential shot and unfortunately, Werner does very well to take it past him at the last second but continue his run in a way that wins a penalty. The only person to blame is Alzate for a moment of idiocy.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Apart from saints game last season has he even made a decent long range stop in the last season ?

Ryan has conceeded the most goals outside of the box out of any keeper in the last year in prem apart from the abysmal kepa

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Apart from saints game last season has he even made a decent long range stop in the last season ?

Ryan has conceeded the most goals outside of the box out of any keeper in the last year in prem apart from the abysmal kepa

No he hasn’t.

But didn’t have a chance with any of the goals last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Abysmal and £70m

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It was clever play from Werner, nothing more. He's a world-class striker and one of the best finishers in the world. Ryan, like any good keeper, played the percentages. If he doesn't come out he would be relying on a super clinical player to fluff his lines on his shot. He comes out to narrow the angle of a potential shot and unfortunately, Werner does very well to take it past him at the last second but continue his run in a way that wins a penalty. The only person to blame is Alzate for a moment of idiocy.

I disagree, there's nothing clever about it. It's a poor touch from Werner, allowing White to cover and clear the ball. Ryan decided early he was going to foul him, but there wasn't any need to. If he'd left him, there's no danger. He fouled him.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Yes I saw that stat on Sky last night.

Penalty.. harsh to criticise him, it was a bit of a hospital pass. I would have liked to have seen him get a bit closer to James’ long range effort though.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Can a mod please change the title of this thread to something like “Maty Ryan - discussion and criticism”

Literally gets bounced every game where as 95% of the goals conceded he couldn’t do anything really about.

Elipsis

Sep 14, 2019
He's clearly a very popular player (see ratings of 7 for last night!) and is a decent bloke but has a number of limitations at this level. The stat about shots from distance has already been quoted by others but is significant (the mind goes back to other games such as Burnley H last season which was their only shot in target). The short pass out to Alzate was risky and you'd have thought he might have learnt from similar goals last season such as Liverpool H. He was a decent signing as we moved up to the PL but as we look to become more established it's a definite area to look at.

Sent from my 5039D_EEA using Tapatalk

Oz Seagull

Aug 30, 2020
The number of long range shots/goals says more about lack of closing down by those in front of keeper. If figures worse than other clubs then we need to improve defence before we worry about imaginary striker who can score from every opportunity he may or may not get. Obviously our closing down ranks among worst in the league

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He's clearly a very popular player (see ratings of 7 for last night!) and is a decent bloke but has a number of limitations at this level. The stat about shots from distance has already been quoted by others but is significant (the mind goes back to other games such as Burnley H last season which was their only shot in target). The short pass out to Alzate was risky and you'd have thought he might have learnt from similar goals last season such as Liverpool H. He was a decent signing as we moved up to the PL but as we look to become more established it's a definite area to look at.

The short pass out is what he has been instructed to do as we play out at the back. I feel fairly confident had he played that long, it would have been replayed to him in the debrief today as to why he didn't pass to Alzate. As pointed out by pundits at HT, Alzate was in plenty of space that any midfielder should be able to cope with. Under Hughton Ryan was asked to hit longer passes to the flanks which he did. Alzate played a blind pass under no real pressure pure and simple. The ball into him from Ryan was accurate and at a decent pace.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For the bazillionth time:-

'If you have a problem with Ryan passing the ball to Alzate (Propper, Bissouma, Stephens et Al) 30 yards out in the centre of the pitch...

...TAKE IT UP WITH POTTER - not Ryan.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
last season and this , is 2nd in the beaten by shots outside the area table

Kepa is top

It was interesting to hear Gary Neville annihilate Kepa for his outside the box save stats. Then when they showed the worst offenders top table there was Ryan sat just behind him.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
For the bazillionth time:-

'If you have a problem with Ryan passing the ball to Alzate (Propper, Bissouma, Stephens et Al) 30 yards out in the centre of the pitch...

...TAKE IT UP WITH POTTER - not Ryan.

Quite, this thread is about Ryan shrinking when a shot from more than 12 yards heads toward him and rippples the back of the net. It's happened quite a few times.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I disagree, there's nothing clever about it. It's a poor touch from Werner, allowing White to cover and clear the ball. Ryan decided early he was going to foul him, but there wasn't any need to. If he'd left him, there's no danger. He fouled him.

What choice did he have? He'd just played a decent pass from near the edge of his box into space for his central midfielder, 1 second later the striker is running at him. No danger...:rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here