Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I disagree, there's nothing clever about it. It's a poor touch from Werner, allowing White to cover and clear the ball. Ryan decided early he was going to foul him, but there wasn't any need to. If he'd left him, there's no danger. He fouled him.

Don't think it was a poor touch by Werner, think he was cute. Didn't matter about any covering defender because he knew if he plays the ball past Ryan he can drag his leg a little and initiate contact. I don't think Ryan 'decided' he was going to foul him, he had to come and Werner only just got to the ball before him. If he had stayed on his line then Werner has a clear run and the anti Ryan brigade would be moaning at him for not coming out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't think it was a poor touch by Werner, think he was cute. Didn't matter about any covering defender because he knew if he plays the ball past Ryan he can drag his leg a little and initiate contact. I don't think Ryan 'decided' he was going to foul him, he had to come and Werner only just got to the ball before him. If he had stayed on his line then Werner has a clear run and the anti Ryan brigade would be moaning at him for not coming out.

It's almost as if Ryan can't win.

Still it's good to have the whole season mapped out already.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I keep reading about Ryan being 2nd on conceding goals from outside the box so can anyone provide a link to these stats. Also, does it say how many shots from outside the box that each keeper had faced?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd love to know just how many 'opposition' goals Albion players have scored past Ryan.

We do seem to love a deflection into the opposite corner.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
What choice did he have? He'd just played a decent pass from near the edge of his box into space for his central midfielder, 1 second later the striker is running at him. No danger...:rolleyes:

What choice? He had White covering who was going to clear the ball, watch the replay. Werner isn't getting to the ball and he knows it. Ryan should have got out of the way, prevented gifting the penalty and we don't concede in that situation.

It's easy to say it with the value of hindsight though, in real time it didn't look like there was anything else he could have done. But having seen the replays, there quite clearly is. Not foul him. Even if White wasn't covering, is there a justification for fouling him? With Steele on the bench to come on should he get sent off, just accept the goal conceded and regroup.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He's clearly a very popular player (see ratings of 7 for last night!) and is a decent bloke but has a number of limitations at this level. The stat about shots from distance has already been quoted by others but is significant (the mind goes back to other games such as Burnley H last season which was their only shot in target). The short pass out to Alzate was risky and you'd have thought he might have learnt from similar goals last season such as Liverpool H. He was a decent signing as we moved up to the PL but as we look to become more established it's a definite area to look at.

Sent from my 5039D_EEA using Tapatalk

The whole way our defence and keeper are encouraged to play out from the back is risky. sometimes Ryan is at fault but last night, Alzate messed up.
As for Upgrading Ryan , people expect a lot. Martinez is going to Villa for £20m After quarter of a good season. Ryan cost 5. He’s good enough for us for the time being imho.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
At the risk of a flaming I’d suggest if he was 6 ins taller he might well have got to that. How many times have we seen keepers make a worldy save from shots like that? Quite a few. I am not blaming him but it was not unstoppable if he’d been a bigger keeper imo. The third nobody would have saved

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What choice? He had White covering who was going to clear the ball, watch the replay. Werner isn't getting to the ball and he knows it. Ryan should have got out of the way, prevented gifting the penalty and we don't concede in that situation.

It's easy to say it with the value of hindsight though, in real time it didn't look like there was anything else he could have done. But having seen the replays, there quite clearly is. Not foul him. Even if White wasn't covering, is there a justification for fouling him? With Steele on the bench to come on should he get sent off, just accept the goal conceded and regroup.

White was only in with a chance of covering BECAUSE Werner knocks the ball to the side to pass Ryan, if Ryan isn't there he is sprinting through on goal as there would be no one to challenge him. No way Dunk and White are getting anywhere near him without the Ryan challenge and Werner having to take the ball to one side.

The goal is through Alzate giving the ball away - that is the mistake.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
At the risk of a flaming I’d suggest if he was 6 ins taller he might well have got to that. How many times have we seen keepers make a worldy save from shots like that? Quite a few. I am not blaming him but it was not unstoppable if he’d been a bigger keeper imo. The third nobody would have saved

Had Michael Jordan been taller he might have made more baskets. :cool:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
White was only in with a chance of covering BECAUSE Werner knocks the ball to the side to pass Ryan, if Ryan isn't there he is sprinting through on goal as there would be no one to challenge him. No way Dunk and White are getting anywhere near him without the Ryan challenge and Werner having to take the ball to one side.

The goal is through Alzate giving the ball away - that is the mistake.

Our style of playIng out from the back is going to give teams a chance as we will never have 100% pass rate. Just wish we weren’t punished every time it happens as seems to be the case at the moment.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Had Michael Jordan been taller he might have made more baskets. :cool:

So you genuinely believe no keeper could have saved that. My point is that Ryan had no chance but a bigger keeper could well have saved it :shrug:

It was not unstoppable, but it was for Ryan.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Top corner and still rising, if he was 2 feet taller he wouldn't have saved it...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Our style of playIng out from the back is going to give teams a chance as we will never have 100% pass rate. Just wish we weren’t punished every time it happens as seems to be the case at the moment.

We've been crap a using the space that's generated further up the field.
So teams see us playing out the back and think 't'is ok they'll not be in our half for a while yet, go after them'.

I thought yesterday we looked considerably faster on the ball and progressing it up the pitch.

Hopefully the work at the back will soon start to pay off in front of their goal.
If not at the very least the Albion player in the pivot won't have a player close enough to steal his lunch money.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So you genuinely believe no keeper could have saved that. My point is that Ryan had no chance but a bigger keeper could well have saved it :shrug:

At best you're making yourself look myopic, at worst just plan silly.

Sounding like Dwayne isn't a good look for anyone on NSC, including Dwayne.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

No, I'm saying that just being taller doesn't equal increased agility. A shorter keeper may have saved it if they had more spring, agility and reflexes. Not sure being taller changes the scenario, just as Michael Jordan wasn't tall by basketball standards, but did things with spring and ability that taller players couldn't match. That was my point.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
At best you're making yourself look myopic, at worst just plan silly.

Sounding like Dwayne isn't a good look for anyone on NSC, including Dwayne.

Get lost Ryan’s no 1 fan boy, there are keepers who would have saved that :wink:

Just to be clear I am NOT blaming Ryan just disputing that there isn’t a keeper who would have saved it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here