Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Get lost Ryan’s no 1 fan boy, there are keepers who would have saved that :wink:

Just to be clear I am NOT blaming Ryan just disputing that there isn’t a keeper who would have saved it

It's a shame we don't have any evidence of Ryan picking out a worldy save from a ball heading toward the top right corner. :whistle:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's a shame we don't have any evidence of Ryan picking out a worldy save from a ball heading toward the top right corner. :whistle:

Bloody hell, I‘m dealing with fan boy no 2 as well :lolol:

I have no problem with Ryan! I just don’t accept that it was unstoppable regardless of the keeper which is now a fact apparently.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Get lost Ryan’s no 1 fan boy, there are keepers who would have saved that :wink:

Just to be clear I am NOT blaming Ryan just disputing that there isn’t a keeper who would have saved it

Are you suggesting there are keepers who would always save that?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A lot of goals conceded by us are over his head. We need to sign a giant.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Are you suggesting there are keepers who would always save that?

No more than there are strikers that score with every shot :rolleyes:

Ryan would never have saved it though there are keepers who might have

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
A lot of goals conceded by us are over his head. We need to sign a giant.

Some can’t grasp that he does struggle sometimes with his size. He does have very good reactions though and is perfectly adequate for our current level. Having said that I would love it if we signed some genuine competition. A bigger keeper would be perfect and as we are trying to improve in all positions how come some can’t see that his is a position we shouldn’t ever upgrade on :shrug:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Some can’t grasp that he does struggle sometimes with his size. He does have very good reactions though and is perfectly adequate for our current level. Having said that I would love it if we signed some genuine competition. A bigger keeper would be perfect and as we are trying to improve in all positions how come some can’t see that his is a position we shouldn’t ever upgrade on :shrug:

I agree. Basically we need someone who is as good as Ryan, but half a foot taller. Walton is 5 inches taller, but not quite there yet in ability? In time though...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

He's the same height as Gordon Banks.

I wasn't arguing no other keeper could save it, I made the point it isn't necessarily a matter of height that a better keeper is going to be able to.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No more than there are strikers that score with every shot :rolleyes:

Ryan would never have saved it though there are keepers who might have

So you'd be happy to swap Ryan for a keeper who also can't guarantee stopping a one off, laser guided, rocket shot into the top corner.

Sounds like a plan.

I do think/hope/wish the clubs ambitions will outrun Maty's abilities quite quickly.

How that fits in with the kidz coming through we just don't know.
It may well come too soon for them, creating an extra outlay, which the club thought they might be able to future proof now with someone like Martinez.

In the meantime, to me at least, Maty is plenty good enough for the team, costing the Albion very few points.

Last night being a prime example.

If Alzate kicked the ball properly.
If thingy had shot like a right back.
If Webster hadn't scored yet another ghost own goal.
& crucially
If Dunk had scored the easiest open play chance of the evening

The Albion would have strolled around to a comfortable 2-0 win.

Naturally all that is bollox, at best.

But the point being, Ryan is far away from being an 'issue' that needs sorting asap.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
So you genuinely believe no keeper could have saved that. My point is that Ryan had no chance but a bigger keeper could well have saved it :shrug:

It was not unstoppable, but it was for Ryan.

Disregarding how much we like or dislike Ryan. I don't think any keeper can be expected to save that shot. Someone else might have done. But I don't think that proves anything.

If that shot is fired at every keeper in the Premier League, how many would save it?

I'd say none.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Another 3 shots on target today another 3 goals

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

How many roll eyes emjois can I fit in to one post...

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Ryan's a great goalkeeper, he's just not a fantastic one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Ryan doesn't do penalties so it was a goal before the ball was kicked. If it was the Stockdale of old it would have been a flip of a coin to whether he saved it or not.

Game should have finished when it went out of play for the corner so it was a harsh end to a brilliant performance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
An own goal
A deflected own goal.
A penalty.

Just how many actual own goals and deflected not given 'own goals' has Ryan been beaten by?

He must feel like he's playing against 14 men.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ryan doesn't do penalties so it was a goal before the ball was kicked. If it was the Stockdale of old it would have been a flip of a coin to whether he saved it or not.

Game should have finished when it went out of play for the corner so it was a harsh end to a brilliant performance.

Know what you’re saying, but doubt whether two David Stockdale’s would have saved that pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here