Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matchday Travel From The Amex

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
If we ever expand I wonder if the club will investigate opening a ninth platform at Brighton Station to address capacity issues there. There seems to be room right next to platform 8, so much room that I wonder if there used to be another platform there at one point. It would mean losing about 20/30 spaces from the car park next door, but I wonder if this is a possibility.

There used to be 10 platforms at Brighton, apparantly, with platform 10 which is now totally lost used by trains on the Kemp Town branchline.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
well, being members at esporta at falmer I am hoping to get there about 12 ish. we have a pilates class at 12.30 which after changing etc means by 1:45 we will have our lunch and then at say 2:15 wander down to falmer.....the mrs staying for the afternoon and then wander down after the game and if the weather is ok have a swim.......so it will be a full day experience rather than just the normal 3 hours on a Saturday.not drinking at the moment also helps.
That's a good idea. I wonder if Esporta will try to do a marketing job on Albion supporters - there could be a big market there.

Bare-bike-riding-04.jpg

Lord B looks rather pleased with himself

There used to be 10 platforms at Brighton, apparantly, with platform 10 which is now totally lost used by trains on the Kemp Town branchline.
And here's a photograph of a train in Platform 10 - loaded with Isetta Bubble Cars:-

btn_works.jpg

Isetta Bubble Cars leave Brighton Works. The picture, from around the late 1950s, shows a short train of goods wagons containing brand new "Isetta" bubble cars being hauled out of the Works site where they had just been built. The irony of this is that the "Terrier" tank locomotive hauling the train had itself been built in those same Works some 60 or 70 years previously.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Nah, use Carden Avenue up past Asda and then down Coldean Lane. It's the way I cycle home after Withdean games.

This. The ride up hill going both ways will be tough but the ride back down the hill is excellent. Riding down Coldean Lane is one of my favourite hills, some serious speed and nice sweeping turns. I would be looking forward to this but I have just moved in to the centre of town.

Further to the bike discussions, I work in town starting at 5:30 on Saturdays, so getting away quickly is going to be important to me. After my presentation I timed how long it takes to get from Falmer to Komedia (my place of work). It took me 19 minutes from walking out of the door of the presentation to being in the office at work. Admittedly this is using a racing bike and going as fast as I could but 30 minutes does not look unreasonable by bicycle from the final whistle to the centre of town. I would wager that there is no faster way of doing this journey.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If going to be fun for the first few games while everything settles down but come October/November you would expect people would have sorted out the best way for them. Fully expecting a lot of moaning on here and probably in the Argus for a while at how some were made to wait behind because there was no transport.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I work in town starting at 5:30 on Saturdays, so getting away quickly is going to be important to me. After my presentation I timed how long it takes to get from Falmer to Komedia (my place of work). It took me 19 minutes from walking out of the door of the presentation to being in the office at work. Admittedly this is using a racing bike and going as fast as I could but 30 minutes does not look unreasonable by bicycle from the final whistle to the centre of town. I would wager that there is no faster way of doing this journey.

That's going some: there are 15 traffic lights between Falmer and St Peter's and you're doing well not to be held up too much there. I cycle from Coldean Lane to town every day and I must stop at least 6 or 7 lights. But you're right that 30 minutes to town on a bike is easy - I expect that those 200 bike racks will be pretty full.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I was wondering about this as well so I'm glad someone brought it up, shame about getting the abuse though!

Anyway I guess I will be either taking the train down from Three bridges, not sure what will be quicker yet to go via Lewes or Brighton, will have to check the train schedules when i get a chance! I guess another option is to drive down to lewes and get the train from there!

Hmm decisions decisions

i was wondering about this as well so i'm glad someone brought it up, shame about getting the abuse though!

Anyway i guess i will be either taking the train down from three bridges, not sure what will be quicker yet to go via lewes or brighton, will have to check the train schedules when i get a chance! I guess another option is to drive down to lewes and get the train from there!

Hmm decisions decisions
or get the train to haywards heath and join mss on the gus bus:ascarf:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That's going some: there are 15 traffic lights between Falmer and St Peter's and you're doing well not to be held up too much there. I cycle from Coldean Lane to town every day and I must stop at least 6 or 7 lights. But you're right that 30 minutes to town on a bike is easy - I expect that those 200 bike racks will be pretty full.

He's CYCLING.
What have traffic lights got to do with anything ?

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Interesting read. I'm planning to cycle.

Living in Westdene I'll probably attempt the A27 bypass route, then after it nearly kills me, do the flat route of into town, left at the level, and back down Lewes Rd. I know lots of other people who are going to do this too - so 220 cycling spaces might get quite busy (in the Summer, anyway).

I think the massive range of options; trains, coaches, parking, bus, cycle - will mean that it'll be fine.

That is all very well Steve, but assumes the dedicated cycle/pedestrian route has been changed from it's current form, as it has five steps to get on or off of it. I know this because I use my mobility scooter, and decided to give the new path a go, and found out that i couldn't get down once I reached the Falmer school end.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This is potentially a make or break problem for me ...

To get home from Sat games l need to be back at Churchill Square in time for my last bus at 18.00, (London Road Shops at 18.10), do l brave the hordes waiting for a 25 bus?, or do l chance walkiing to the station and joining the throng waiting for a traiin to London Road so that l can join the bus at Preston Ciircus?

Problems problems ...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He's CYCLING.
What have traffic lights got to do with anything ?

Er...
The Highway Code
Rules for cyclists...

You MUST obey all traffic signs and traffic light signals.
[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD reg 10(1)]

That is all very well Steve, but assumes the dedicated cycle/pedestrian route has been changed from it's current form, as it has five steps to get on or off of it. I know this because I use my mobility scooter, and decided to give the new path a go, and found out that i couldn't get down once I reached the Falmer school end.

Carry on using the cycle path to the university and go under the subway there - there are no steps (there's no access to the stadium at the moment of course but that won't be an issue by next season)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

The main problem with cycling, though, is those cyclists that cycle at walking pace but are very hard to overtake and then go past you again at red lights.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I was thinking of doing the following. Let me know if this is crazy to beat the rush.

Coming from Newhaven, drive to Lewes and park up. Get the bike out the back of the car and cycle along the A27 pathway to Falmer. Lock the bike up somewhere. At the end of the match collect the bike, cycle back to lewes to pick the car back, and drive back down to Newhaven. Its only 4.8 miles from Lewes so I could probably do that in about 30 minutes.

Or hang about in the stadium for an hour afterwards and get the train back. I know last time Cycling was talked about, it was considered a bit sad, but If I hide my scarf I should be ok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here