Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matchday Travel From The Amex

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Surely trains carrymore than 200? Each carriage with 2x2 seating has 64 seats, 2x3 seating you can make that 80. Then easy 10 standing in each doorway, plus say another 10 in the aisle, that's 110 per carriage, how many carriages can Falmer station platform take? Apologies if it's only 2 carriages, I'm not familiar with the station.

As for the crux of the question, whether it will be a nightmare or not, well I do t think so, at all, it's a football ground, it always takes a while to get out of them, bus, train or car, if we're going to get 20k+ then we just have to accept it will take a bit longer to leave, just like it is at any stadium that gets crowds of that size. I guess it depends on what you call a nightmare, for me, a queue leaving a stadium is part and parcel of it, really don't see Falmer being any different.

Also the fact that people will be travelling in the other direction via Lewis.

As for the trains already being full, people who use the trains at that time will soon learn not to if they don't want to be swamped by pissed up football fans.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Going to be interesting with away fans too. How are the 2,600 Leeds/Palace/ANotherscum going to get away?

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Going to be interesting with away fans too. How are the 2,600 Leeds/Palace/ANotherscum going to get away?

Maybe they can wait behind for an hour for their own protection, like we did at Selhurst the second to last time we played Palace.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Also the fact that people will be travelling in the other direction via Lewis.
:eek: that's five hundred miles away.

As for the trains already being full, people who use the trains at that time will soon learn not to if they don't want to be swamped by pissed up football fans.
No, they won't give a shit as they'll already be sat down.

Sep 1, 2010
Yeah, what an unbelievable reaction! No, it wasn't merely a question about the plans in place, I'll say again, you said it will be a nightmare to leave. Simple as. The implication being that the club have no viable and workable plans - well definately none that you know about. Let me emphasis again what I'm getting at and I'll up the stakes this time, so f*cking what if it takes 40mins extra to get home from a game at the Amex? Does that constitute a nightmare, or is it a small price to pay for having one of the best grounds in the country? I know what my answer to that would be. I can't wait for the
first evening game, hopefully you moaning gits will stay at home, that way the rest of us will get out just nicely.

After some deliberation and due reflection of your reply, I have concluded that you are indeed a hideous cock.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm with AvS - it's not going to be pretty, is it? More so, as said, when big away followings who travel 'with a reputation' are thrown into the mixer. Big midweek Cup games that go to extra time could cause a few challenges too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it is going to be a bit of fun. many of the trains running the line are apparently only 2 carriages, so 200-250 capacity with people standing. in these discussions before, we have assumed the rail companies will put on 7/8 carriages, which is do able, though some have questioned if they will - where do they put the extra carriages immediatly before/during/after the games, is there the space rolling stock.

with or without additions, i hope they do utilise the Lewes route for away fans to park and ride at the station, otherwise a lot of wasted capacity going that way. i wouldnt be surprised if they do try to send away fans via Lewes, though i cant see the folk of Lewes being too happy about that :lol:

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I'm with AvS - it's not going to be pretty, is it? More so, as said, when big away followings who travel 'with a reputation' are thrown into the mixer. Big midweek Cup games that go to extra time could cause a few challenges too.

I think midweek games will present more challenges. I expect for large midweek crowds (which is increasingly looking like every midweek game) a lot of very very naughty people will park in Coldean and Moulsecoomb and walk in from there. But remember, these people are naughty.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
:eek: that's five hundred miles away.

Oh yeah :dunce: I mean't Lewes

No, they won't give a shit as they'll already be sat down.

Doesn't matter. Who wants to be sat down in a carriage full of leeds/millwall/cardiff/west ham etc... It's bad enough being rammed in like that on the way to work with a load of suits. If people know to avoid those trains at that time I'm sure they'd rather leave a few minutes earlier and have a quiet train, I know I would seat or no seat

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I suppose those of us who go to Withdean have been spoilt by how easy it is to get away afterwards; I know there is a queue for the park and ride buses, but I park in Patcham (outside the exclusion zone) and have no problem getting away, bar a bit of traffic congestion if I don't go to the Tap as I usually do. However, my one recent experience of getting away from a ground by train from a big game was Aston Villa. Witton Station is no bigger than Falmer and trains are only 3 coaches on that line, but I don't recall it being a problem getting back into central Birmingham (and the area around Villa Park is certainly not one where you would want to go for a drink).

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
After some deliberation and due reflection of your reply, I have concluded that you are indeed a hideous cock.

BLAM! KAPOW! Well, that really tells me, eh. As somebody said earlier, how those anti-stadium protesters would have loved the likes of you at the inquiries. My final word to you, you poncy little f*ck is this, driving to Gillingham for two years to watch my team play home games was a nightmare. Getting away from the beautiful new home, that personally I've waited 14yrs for, will be heaven.

Sep 1, 2010
Whereas most people on this thread have had a balanced discussion on the matter, you have started and continued to be abusive and rude. Instead of reading what was actually said in my first post, you have interpreted it incorrectly and responded like a child throughout. You being called a cock is just in response to your level of vile replies

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Whereas most people on this thread have had a balanced discussion on the matter, you have started and continued to be abusive and rude. Instead of reading what was actually said in my first post, you have interpreted it incorrectly and responded like a child throughout. You being called a cock is just in response to your level of vile replies

No, my friend, you called me a hideous cock - that's childish. Yes, granted I called you a moaning git, but that's because you clearly are. As for my "vile" replies! Care to point them out? As for reading your first post incorrectly. Nah, don't think so.

Last edited:

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
This was your very first reply. Maybe you should lay off the drink.

Oh yes, you've got me banged to rights. "What a knob" is just about the most vile thing I've ever heard. I think you wanna get out a bit more. You've clearly never seen Doug Stanhope do stand-up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh yes, you've got me banged to rights. "What a knob" is just about the most vile thing I've ever heard. I think you wanna get out a bit more. You've clearly never seen Doug Stanhope do stand-up.

I think you need to wind your neck in a bit. A v S was just voicing a concern and opening a discussion, there's no need to give him a sneering gobfull of abuse over it.
It goes without saying we'll all still be INFINITELY happier putting up with a few travel delays, but it doesn't alter the fact that getting away, especially on evening games, is going to involve some thought, trial and error for everyone.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Illiterate AND boring.

What a reply. Your wit and intellect is just far too much for an illterate like what I is. Now this really is my final word on the subject. You can have the last word if you want, you know comeback and say something really, really, REALLY clever, and I promise I won't respond. Good night Professor Hawkins. As for "sneering gobfull of abuse" Easy 10, sorry are you reading somebody elses replies? Nope, can't see any of mine that fit that description.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here