Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matchday Travel From The Amex

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Originally Posted by severnside gull
........ Expect lots of people to miss the kick off and leave early though - especially for evening games. ..........

wow!
now that is leaving early!!

Hehe, sprayed my lap top with coffee as i read that..

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I had thought of using the 5B (I think) from Poets but after last Saturdays game it may be quicker to walk :angry: It took over an hour due to roadworks and general fuckards. In the same time my dad, having been waiting 20 mins for a bus that never turned up, managed to drive down from Horsham, catch park and ride and still get to game before me! I hope there are more direct buses planned from Hove/Brighton other than normal services as it will take forever, I dread to think what it'll be like at Christmas. May well have to use the train or park and ride.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
They would do well the extend the bus stop currently on the A27 outside of Brighton Uni. Have room for 8 buses or so.

I'm with AvS. I'm not sure why he got such a harsh response - particularly from those that were willing to discuss the issue later.

What do you consider to be a short platform? The platform at Falmer is long enough for 8 carriage trains to open the doors on 7 carriages.
And which platforms at Brighton will be available for these extra trains to run into? The ones with trains waiting to go to London? Or the ones with trains waiting to go to Lewes?

Surely trains carrymore than 200? Each carriage with 2x2 seating has 64 seats, 2x3 seating you can make that 80. Then easy 10 standing in each doorway, plus say another 10 in the aisle, that's 110 per carriage, how many carriages can Falmer station platform take? Apologies if it's only 2 carriages, I'm not familiar with the station.
Don't forget that Saturday trains are already busy with people travelling between Lewes and Brighton. It's why the service is so frequent ... there are a lot of people using it, without the football crowds.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Anyone got any links or know themselves what the plan is getting 20,000 odd people away from the games. The station to me seems too small platform wise and i cannot see the buses being able to ship away the fans and any reasonable amount of time especially mid week games where time is a bit more of a premium. I can see it being a bit of a nightmare to be honest

the station at wembley is the same. give or take 20k people going through that platform. but given that brighton station...a reasonably big terminus is closer than any major terminals are to wembley, it shouldnt be that hard to get fans out quite quick. both btn and lewis have links with london eastbourne etc. I mean when we are waiting for a train from wembley they just have a queue down to the platforms and police and stewards let certain amounts onto each train.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Interesting read. I'm planning to cycle.

Living in Westdene I'll probably attempt the A27 bypass route, then after it nearly kills me, do the flat route of into town, left at the level, and back down Lewes Rd. I know lots of other people who are going to do this too - so 220 cycling spaces might get quite busy (in the Summer, anyway).

I think the massive range of options; trains, coaches, parking, bus, cycle - will mean that it'll be fine.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Art v Science's original post was spot on. It WILL be a bit of a nightmare to start with, but it WILL settle down as people (including the club and the Authorities) adapt and find out what's best for them. I still haven't decided how I'm going to travel as it depends on the cost of the travel voucher system. When I lived in Lancing it was never a problem getting home from the Goldstone, even with crowds of 30,000, because in those unenlightened times people accepted that the private car was an acceptable form of transport and there were very few on-street parking restrictions. In turn this reduced the pressure on the westbound trains.

However even when it has all settled down if there's an evening cup replay with extra time and penalties I think the only people left in the ground by the end will be a few hundred Coldean residents. (That's an exaggeration for effect BTW, before someone points out that there will be thousands left actually. Thought it worth adding that disclaimer seeing the abuse the OP got for his original post).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I had thought of using the 5B (I think) from Poets but after last Saturdays game it may be quicker to walk :angry: It took over an hour due to roadworks and general fuckards. In the same time my dad, having been waiting 20 mins for a bus that never turned up, managed to drive down from Horsham, catch park and ride and still get to game before me! I hope there are more direct buses planned from Hove/Brighton other than normal services as it will take forever, I dread to think what it'll be like at Christmas. May well have to use the train or park and ride.
I think you've hit the key issue for me there. It's a 35 minute walk from poets corner to withdean, so I almost always walk. In effect I've saved the club £400 pounds in subsidies over the last 11 years by not being a lazy git. However there are going to be plenty of people like me who can no longer walk to often. Withdean is a SHORT walk from Brighton city centre. Falmer is not.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
However even when it has all settled down if there's an evening cup replay with extra time and penalties I think the only people left in the ground by the end will be a few hundred Coldean residents. (That's an exaggeration for effect BTW, before someone points out that there will be thousands left actually. Thought it worth adding that disclaimer seeing the abuse the OP got for his original post).
Bearing in mind the middle of Coldean is the same distance as from withdean to Brighton station.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Underneath all the pointless slagging off there's quite an interesting discussion going on here. Well done AvS for starting it.

I'm planning to get the train from/to Seaford, hence travelling via Lewes. At some point I imagine the club would have estimated how much of its support would be travelling eastwards - should be possible to have an educated guess based on the postcodes on the database. 30%? 40%? All I know is that my queue should be shorter, but by how much?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
And which platforms at Brighton will be available for these extra trains to run into? The ones with trains waiting to go to London? Or the ones with trains waiting to go to Lewes?

I've no idea, but the question was about the length of the platform at Falmer. There are many limiting factors on the Brighton/Lewes line which have been discussed to death on other threads, but the length of the platform at Falmer isn't one of them. It's a misconception.

If we ever expand I wonder if the club will investigate opening a ninth platform at Brighton Station to address capacity issues there. There seems to be room right next to platform 8, so much room that I wonder if there used to be another platform there at one point. It would mean losing about 20/30 spaces from the car park next door, but I wonder if this is a possibility.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Interesting read. I'm planning to cycle.

Living in Westdene I'll probably attempt the A27 bypass route, then after it nearly kills me, do the flat route of into town, left at the level, and back down Lewes Rd.

Nah, use Carden Avenue up past Asda and then down Coldean Lane. It's the way I cycle home after Withdean games.

This must be about fifth time that the transport issue has been discussed and has been pointed out before, there are plenty of options for getting home. Yes, the trains are limited but there are a massive amount of buses within walking distance of the stadium (and that's before any extra are laid on), there's park-and-ride, a limited amount of parking close to the ground and on-street parking available in Coldean and Moulsecoomb (and don't forget that many supporters live in these places too and will be happy to walk back). It's some distance out from town but it must be one of the best grounds in the league for public transport. As Brovion says, it will take a few weeks to settle down but after that it will be fine.

Sterling work sir. Any idea how many coaches you will need yet?

I think it will be something that will build match by match,we are hoping to make the match day enjoyment start with the travel,fans can meet up and chat at a local before getting taken direct to falmer.
Hope that all types of fans will make this a regular method of transport,its a non profit making service so the more support the better for all who travel. This season we have a coach to colchester and notts for anyone in mid sussex. all aboard the gus bus!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
well, being members at esporta at falmer I am hoping to get there about 12 ish. we have a pilates class at 12.30 which after changing etc means by 1:45 we will have our lunch and then at say 2:15 wander down to falmer.....the mrs staying for the afternoon and then wander down after the game and if the weather is ok have a swim.......so it will be a full day experience rather than just the normal 3 hours on a Saturday.not drinking at the moment also helps.

evening games we will try and do the same....

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Bare-bike-riding-04.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here