Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Match Of The Day - 22:45 on BBC One

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
That red (and foul) is open to interpretation as those sort of "coming togethers" usually are. Did he pull Welbeck towards him ? or does Welbeck's movement make it look like that ?

When arms are linked like that it's very difficult to tell and we will all disagree,

Doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things (beyond Peps ego), but I'd like to see players in the VAR room.

Quite how that handball was missed is another matter.

If it’s that debatable, what difference would a player make on VAR? It’s meant to be for sorting out blindingly obvious mistakes. For ones like that, where you could argue about it all night, they did the right thing and went with the referee’s decision. It remains a crock of shit regardless, especially at the game, where you have no idea why it is taking so long. I assume they spent some of that time checking for offside?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Well it wasn't a penalty call.

You could argue its a VAR decision that went in our favour this time, after numerous injustices this season. But if you're calling that "balancing it out" over the course of the season, well, the general concensus pre-VAR was thats generally what used to happen. So what exactly have we gained from this technology ?

I'll tell you what we've lost. I was celebrating Burn's goal only at around 70% mental, because I knew it would be under review, with some herbert up near Staines pouring over it looking to draw some lines to see if he could chalk it off.

And thats proper shite.

I was the same.

But I’ve consoled myself but believing the lino would’ve flagged for offside pre-VAR.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well it wasn't a penalty call.

You could argue its a VAR decision that went in our favour this time, after numerous injustices this season. But if you're calling that "balancing it out" over the course of the season, well, the general concensus pre-VAR was thats generally what used to happen. So what exactly have we gained from this technology ?

I'll tell you what we've lost. I was celebrating Burn's goal only at around 70% mental, because I knew it would be under review, with some herbert up near Staines pouring over it looking to draw some lines to see if he could chalk it off.

And thats proper shite.

Thought the City player hooked Welbeck’s arm to prevent him getting to the ball. Stonewall for me.

Definite penalty for handball in second as well and probably for Lallana’s challenge as well IMO.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Thought the City player hooked Welbeck’s arm to prevent him getting to the ball. Stonewall for me.

Definite penalty for handball in second as well and probably for Lallana’s challenge as well IMO.

Was in the South stand - thought Lallana got the ball pretty cleanly. Was quite surprised it was reviewed. Even on BBC last night thought it was be harsh to give that as he gets enough of the ball. Jesus, who moaned about fouls all game didn’t appeal - that’s enough for me on that one.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Was in the South stand - thought Lallana got the ball pretty cleanly. Was quite surprised it was reviewed. Even on BBC last night thought it was be harsh to give that as he gets enough of the ball. Jesus, who moaned about fouls all game didn’t appeal - that’s enough for me on that one.

I watched it when I got home (as I was still excited), and the replay showed he got the top half of the ball and the man. Thought it was a pen but hey-ho, I will have forgotten by next week....

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Was in the stadium last night and when Welbeck incident happened all the people I was with all thought it was going to be a red before the ref pulled out his card. Seemed a real denial of goalscoring opportunity by last player before goal that was trying to rectify a mistake.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I think it looked a bit wonky on the replays, yes he touches the ball, but mainly the player. I could see it given in an empty stadium.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was rehearsing with one of the bands I'm currently flapping fat fingers with . . . . missed the game live . . . I was watching the BBC txt via my phone between songs/sets and couldn't believe what I saw after 75 minutes. I've fallen out of love with it a bit recently but walked home with a spring in my step to watch MotD. a cracking end to the day. I'll watch it again at lunchtime, just to be on the safe side.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
This is the saddest thing about VAR. I barely celebrated as it looked offside to me, both live and after the slo-mo replay. It's just not the same a minute later.
Then choose a more positive attitude. It's your loss if you Ee-aw every goal and don't celebrate. Enjoy every goal and celebrate like it's the last you'll ever see. It's much healthier than focusing on whether VAR will chalk it off.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Its not just you I agree too, in fact I would go as far as to say the Danny was the first to link arms.
Lots of blue & white specs and precious craving love comments tonight.
So pleased we won though, jesus enough ridiculous decisions have gone against us this season.
As to Pep, all the aggro was because of that knee high foul on Gudogan, Pep and his staff were steaming, understandable as he is in top form and the CL final very soon.
But, Pep then went on to have a go at any Brighton player that was near (Gross & Webster) and then, at the end told Potter to clear off.
Pep may be good but he clearly thinks he can take over even at away grounds, he then covered his tracks in the interview, a very classless performance from Pep tonight.
Potter apologising made me cringe, stand up for yourself man, you do whatever you want on your own patch, I doubt he went too far anyway but he should never have to say sorry for celebrating a very good goal after a hugely frustrating season in the final 3rd.
Pep would have known that, so really stupid to react.

Considering the referee sent him off and VAR didn't overturn it, I'm not sure what the Blue and white specs and precious craving love comment is all about.
Does going against correct decisions, That finally go in favour of your team, make one a more progressive fan?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
That red (and foul) is open to interpretation as those sort of "coming togethers" usually are. Did he pull Welbeck towards him ? or does Welbeck's movement make it look like that ?

When arms are linked like that it's very difficult to tell and we will all disagree,

Doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things (beyond Peps ego), but I'd like to see players in the VAR room.

Quite how that handball was missed is another matter.

Not calling you out, but regarding players in the VAR room, where would it stop? Shearer would give a decision from an attackers point of view, Keown from a defenders point of view. Do you need a keeper for a keepers point of view? Maybe a Souness for a a crunching tacklers point of view - 'it's all part of the game'. Then there is the unconscious or conscious bias for their previous clubs, some of whom would run in to double figures. Not to mention a grasp of how the game and rules and technology has changed since their day. Referees work with the rules full time, yet still struggle with some decisions. Former players in the studio often have a woeful grasp of the the modern game and rules. I get where you and others are coming from, but must admit I prefer professional referees in the VAR room, warts and all. At least they are making honest mistakes in the view of the fans from a trained and qualified, experienced point of view. Can you imagine Wrighty or Neville in the ear of the VAR ref in one of our matches or in a match that might influence our situation, or at arm's length an Arsenal or Utd position. It's not for me.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just watched the highlights again and love Dion Dublin's comment 'Playing one at the back against City !'

Welcome to Potterball Dion :lolol:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Just watched the MOTD highlights. How has VAR not given us penatly for that handball by Garcia? Pascal controls it with his knee, and Garcia comes in and knocks the ball away with his hand, and not at all in a natural position.

Also, when discussing the red card, Dion says he doesnt think its a red card but at most a free kick. Sorry, but if its a free kick, then its a foul by the last man, so a red card. They analyse it by saying its just a 'coming together', completely ignoring that Cancelo has hooked his arm around Welbeck's to pull him down.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When do you ever hear a Premier League manager apologise? OK. I’ve not actually researched that. Maybe it happens all the time but it doesn’t feel like it. He’s a classy guy, that Potter. Hopefully it’s accruing some positive karma for next season to make up for the bad luck we’ve had to put up with most of this term.

I actually felt genuinely sorry for GP watching him apologise for showing a bit of passion. Looked exactly like a guilty schoolboy being chastised by his emotional intelligence tutor. And I don't mean that in a bad way. Far from it. The Peps and The Klopps are perfectly happy to give patronising pats on the head to the little guys after the win is in the bag. WAY more instructive to judge them on how they react when things go tits up for them. It invariably ain't pretty

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Also, when discussing the red card, Dion says he doesnt think its a red card but at most a free kick. Sorry, but if its a free kick, then its a foul by the last man, so a red card.

That's not the rule for a red card - it's whether the foul is denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. Like Dion, I'm not 100% that Welbz really could have scored from there, but VAR disagreed and the red card was given.

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
Just watched the MOTD highlights. How has VAR not given us penatly for that handball by Garcia? Pascal controls it with his knee, and Garcia comes in and knocks the ball away with his hand, and not at all in a natural position.

Also, when discussing the red card, Dion says he doesnt think its a red card but at most a free kick. Sorry, but if its a free kick, then its a foul by the last man, so a red card. They analyse it by saying its just a 'coming together', completely ignoring that Cancelo has hooked his arm around Welbeck's to pull him down.

That is exactly the point, if he had not been the last man and the Ref had just awarded a free kick, nobody would now be debating if it was a foul or not. There is absolutely nothing in the replays to suggest that the Ref had made a clear and obvious error awarding the free kick (like no contact at all). So the only thing VAR can really check is if there were any mitigating circumstances, such as a covering defender, in which case they could reverse the red card but the free kick would still have stood. So the Red card bit was exactly the right decision by the ref and supported by VAR.

Was the referee harsh in awarding the free kick? probably not in my opinion, but the red card had nothing to do with the severity of the foul.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I Believe I Can Fly.......

TR1.jpg

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
That's not the rule for a red card - it's whether the foul is denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. Like Dion, I'm not 100% that Welbz really could have scored from there, but VAR disagreed and the red card was given.

He would have been through on goal, 1 on 1 with the keeper. That is a clear goal scoring 'opportunity'. Whether Welbeck would have actually put the ball in the back of the net or not is irrelevant, its about stopping his opportunity to do so. So if he's the last defender, and no other is getting back in time to cover, then any foul (even a slight one) becomes a red card.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here