Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Match Of The Day - 22:45 on BBC One

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That’s for penalty’s isn’t it? If it’s denying a clear goal scoring opportunity outside the box, it’s a red - like Dunk and tonight.

The VAR was telling. The wording was 'Checking for a goalscoring opportunity'

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not only that, the one at the back scored (and from open play, not a corner).

Takes me back to the winner v Everton at home last season, with Burn and Trossard rampaging forward in stoppage time, resulting in a panicked own goal.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
When do you ever hear a Premier League manager apologise? OK. I’ve not actually researched that. Maybe it happens all the time but it doesn’t feel like it. He’s a classy guy, that Potter. Hopefully it’s accruing some positive karma for next season to make up for the bad luck we’ve had to put up with most of this term.

And that new shirt looks mint. I’m in!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Re MOTD, I can't dislike Patrick Bamford. Quite the cerebral footballer

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That red (and foul) is open to interpretation as those sort of "coming togethers" usually are. Did he pull Welbeck towards him ? or does Welbeck's movement make it look like that ?

When arms are linked like that it's very difficult to tell and we will all disagree,

Doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things (beyond Peps ego), but I'd like to see players in the VAR room.

Quite how that handball was missed is another matter.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Re MOTD, I can't dislike Patrick Bamford. Quite the cerebral footballer

I like him as well, gave a quite brilliant interview earlier in the season stating the Leeds pitch was so bad he actually wore Rugby boots

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That red (and foul) is open to interpretation as those sort of "coming togethers" usually are. Did he pull Welbeck towards him ? or does Welbeck's movement make it look like that ?

When arms are linked like that it's very difficult to tell and we will all disagree,

Doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things (beyond Peps ego), but I'd like to see players in the VAR room.

Quite how that handball was missed is another matter.

I'm glad its not just me then. I thought that was a VERY harsh red. Welbeck is chasing and comes from behind Cancelo and initiates the contact, from which they both tangle and go down. Cancelo was trying to nod the ball back to the keeper after missing his touch, and actually gets his head to the ball during the collision. He does not even glance back at Welbeck, who was (IMO) the one who initiated contact as he tried to get to the ball. Whats Cancelo supposed to do - stand aside ?

I'm not complaining, but I think there are a LOT of blue-and-white specs looking at that incident. If the roles were reversed and it was given against one of our defenders, I'd have gone apeshit.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I'm glad its not just me then. I thought that was a VERY harsh red. Welbeck is chasing and comes from behind Cancelo and initiates the contact, from which they both tangle and go down. Cancelo was trying to nod the ball back to the keeper after missing his touch, and actually gets his head to the ball during the collision. He does not even glance back at Welbeck, who was (IMO) the one who initiated contact as he tried to get to the ball. Whats Cancelo supposed to do - stand aside ?

I'm not complaining, but I think there are a LOT of blue-and-white specs looking at that incident. If the roles were reversed and it was given against one of our defenders, I'd have gone apeshit.

Totally agree with you. but I don't care.:)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Its not just you I agree too, in fact I would go as far as to say the Danny was the first to link arms.
Lots of blue & white specs and precious craving love comments tonight.
So pleased we won though, jesus enough ridiculous decisions have gone against us this season.
As to Pep, all the aggro was because of that knee high foul on Gudogan, Pep and his staff were steaming, understandable as he is in top form and the CL final very soon.
But, Pep then went on to have a go at any Brighton player that was near (Gross & Webster) and then, at the end told Potter to clear off.
Pep may be good but he clearly thinks he can take over even at away grounds, he then covered his tracks in the interview, a very classless performance from Pep tonight.
Potter apologising made me cringe, stand up for yourself man, you do whatever you want on your own patch, I doubt he went too far anyway but he should never have to say sorry for celebrating a very good goal after a hugely frustrating season in the final 3rd.
Pep would have known that, so really stupid to react.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Potter apologising made me cringe, stand up for yourself man.

No he did exactly the right thing and that's what a degree in emotional intelligence gives you.

The story is now that Pep loses his shit over home manager celebrating a goal at home on the day the fans were let in.

Who looks stupid now ? Not Potter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here