Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Match Of The Day - 22:45 on BBC One

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
That red (and foul) is open to interpretation as those sort of "coming togethers" usually are. Did he pull Welbeck towards him ? or does Welbeck's movement make it look like that ?

When arms are linked like that it's very difficult to tell and we will all disagree,

Doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things (beyond Peps ego), but I'd like to see players in the VAR room.

Quite how that handball was missed is another matter.

Doesn't matter who is in the VAR room (penalties aside) they can't adjudicate on whether it was a foul or not. Otherwise they would have to look at every free kick given.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm glad its not just me then. I thought that was a VERY harsh red. Welbeck is chasing and comes from behind Cancelo and initiates the contact, from which they both tangle and go down. Cancelo was trying to nod the ball back to the keeper after missing his touch, and actually gets his head to the ball during the collision. He does not even glance back at Welbeck, who was (IMO) the one who initiated contact as he tried to get to the ball. Whats Cancelo supposed to do - stand aside ?

I'm not complaining, but I think there are a LOT of blue-and-white specs looking at that incident. If the roles were reversed and it was given against one of our defenders, I'd have gone apeshit.

I agree with you but on the balance of the way things have gone against us this season, we more than deserved this luck and deserve a whole lot more on Sunday too.

Not a penalty.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
That red (and foul) is open to interpretation as those sort of "coming togethers" usually are. Did he pull Welbeck towards him ? or does Welbeck's movement make it look like that ?

When arms are linked like that it's very difficult to tell and we will all disagree,

Doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things (beyond Peps ego), but I'd like to see players in the VAR room.

Quite how that handball was missed is another matter.

I'd agree it was a 'soft' red.

But how many dodgy decisions have gone against us this season? ManUre full time whistle that's not if you play ManUre. Dunks goal that's not a goal because I blew the whistle 2x and had VAR check the ball wasn't over the line for the second whistle. Need I go on.

Who cares that we get one 50/50, dodgy, iffy decision our way - finally (can you name another this season?). We still had to go out and win the game. And we did.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Doesn't matter who is in the VAR room (penalties aside) they can't adjudicate on whether it was a foul or not. Otherwise they would have to look at every free kick given.

They don't adjudicate on every foul. But they do review EVERY red card.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Then you are a MORON

Harsh. They are the best for keeping it neutral and doing their research although Warnock didn’t realise for a whole game against wolves we were 4 at the back. But the BBC are pretty decent for the little they get.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree with you but on the balance of the way things have gone against us this season, we more than deserved this luck and deserve a whole lot more on Sunday too.

Not a penalty.

Well it wasn't a penalty call.

You could argue its a VAR decision that went in our favour this time, after numerous injustices this season. But if you're calling that "balancing it out" over the course of the season, well, the general concensus pre-VAR was thats generally what used to happen. So what exactly have we gained from this technology ?

I'll tell you what we've lost. I was celebrating Burn's goal only at around 70% mental, because I knew it would be under review, with some herbert up near Staines pouring over it looking to draw some lines to see if he could chalk it off.

And thats proper shite.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
can you name another this season?

Yes quite easily, it's been a season of iffy VAR related decisions for all teams.

The Welbeck penalty was a bit iffy and March getting away with that penalty could have gone another way on another day.

We could also (on another day) had a player sent off tonight.

We of course have had a number against us but I've never bought the "balancing out" thing, it's professional sport not the national lottery.

VAR was supposed to fix this but it clearly hasn't.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Then you are a MORON

Well the only difference is the commentary and the chitty chat, everything else is pooled.

If that's your concern I'd imagine you are one of those people who write comments on the Daily Mail website complaining about the level of debate on Loose Women.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Well the only difference is the commentary and the chitty chat, everything else is pooled.

If that's your concern I'd imagine you are one of those people who write comments on the Daily Mail website complaining about the level of debate on Loose Women.

No but i am one of those people fed up with the BBC patronising us denigrating us belittling us overlooking us and treating US like we are the poor cousin who is lucky just to be in the same league . The BBC are a self surving self aggrandising elitest company that has long robbed OAPs :bla::bla::bla: and are

Last edited by a moderator:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well it wasn't a penalty call.

You could argue its a VAR decision that went in our favour this time, after numerous injustices this season. But if you're calling that "balancing it out" over the course of the season, well, the general concensus pre-VAR was thats generally what used to happen. So what exactly have we gained from this technology ?

I'll tell you what we've lost. I was celebrating Burn's goal only at around 70% mental, because I knew it would be under review, with some herbert up near Staines pouring over it looking to draw some lines to see if he could chalk it off.

And thats proper shite.

I waited until they kicked off before getting excited about Burn's goal.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
No but i am one of those people fed up with the BBC patronising us denigrating us belittling us overlooking us and treating US like we are the poor cousin who is lucky just to be in the same league . The BBC are a self surving self aggrandising elitest company that has long robbed OAPs :bla::bla::bla: and are :)

Go to bed, you're drunk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So who's brave enough to explain to me how that was a foul, free kick and red card yet the assault on BDB by the Wolves player didn't even register.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I can't be bothered to discuss the red card or any other debatable decision. What really matters to me is that we totally played them off the park. 3-2 flattered them. And they were trying their best and had a strong team out - and we still beat them. So there.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I actually think BBC football coverage is still the best around.

It certainly must be better than DAZN. At one point tonight the commentator said "A long time ago the fans here used to sing about Sussex by the sea". He also mentioned that 'Christian' Gross was taking the corner, not for the first time this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It certainly must be better than DAZN. At one point tonight the commentator said "A long time ago the fans here used to sing about Sussex by the sea". He also mentioned that 'Christian' Gross was taking the corner, not for the first time this season.

He said that at 53mins, just 10 minutes after the fans were singing about Sussex by the sea.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Don't know what they're chatting about it being harsh, Cancelo ballsed up the flight of the ball and clumsily brought him down. Can see Welbeck getting on the end of that

Agreed. Bit of a tangle & borderline but it wasn’t the first time Welbeck’s pace had caught them out. Players of Cancelo’s standard know exactly what they’re doing. One way or another he was going to stop him. If Burn had been involved in a tangle like that with Foden, there’d barely be a fuss about a red.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here