Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"massive" unexplodeed car bomb in central london....

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Just confirmed it wasn't a bomb but just gas apparantly.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Who farted?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
another vital one after a major change in British Society (7/7 the day after the Olympics sucess , today after change of PM) .. and it wasn't intelligence that were on top of it - just a causious member of the public :s

if you ask me that is pretty worrying!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
literally just round the corner from where I work :ohmy:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Am I missing something ? - why would the intelligence services know about gas canisters (apparently) left in a car when it wasn't terrorism.

Just a minute:

1. Abandoned car in busiest part of London
2. No sign of owners
3. Full of gas canisters
4. Reported to be laden with nails
5. Windows steamed up due to some device malfunctioning inside.

You'd be pretty stupid to assume that was terrorism.:bigwave::bigwave:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Just a minute:

1. Abandoned car in busiest part of London
2. No sign of owners
3. Full of gas canisters
4. Reported to be laden with nails
5. Windows steamed up due to some device malfunctioning inside.

You'd be pretty stupid to assume that was terrorism.:bigwave::bigwave:

............. fair enough - if those are the facts. OI MI5 - get your finger out ......

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
09:33 29Jun2007 RTRS-UPDATE 3-Police find bomb in London, launch terrorism probe

(Adds details)
By Guy Dresser and Avril Ormsby
LONDON, June 29 (Reuters) - British police defused a bomb in a parked car in London's theatre district on Friday and launched a counter-terrorism investigation.
Sky News quoted unidentified sources as saying the bomb was "potentially massive".
The bomb was found hours after new Prime Minister Gordon Brown named his cabinet succeeding Tony Blair, who stepped down after a decade in office.
The government's top emergency committee, COBRA, was due to meet on Friday to review the situation, a government spokeswoman said.
Explosives officers were called to examine a car parked in Haymarket, a busy street in the tourist heart of central London, where many popular theatres are located, early on Friday morning, London police said in a statement.
"They discovered what appeared to be a potentially viable explosive device. This was made safe," they said, adding that counter-terrorism officers were investigating.
A police spokesman confirmed the device was a bomb.
London has frequently been on alert for potential attacks since July 7, 2005, when 52 commuters were killed by bombs on the capital's transport system in the first Islamist suicide bombings in western Europe.

'CANISTER' SEEN IN CAR
Police threw blue tarpaulin over the vehicle in Haymarket, which appeared to be a silver Mercedes, and closed off the surrounding area, causing heavy traffic congestion. Workers, blocked from getting to their offices in the street, milled around.
A police officer at the scene said witnesses had seen the vehicle driving erratically before crashing into some bins outside a nightclub in the early hours of Friday. The driver got out and ran away, they said.
Bouncers from the nightclub saw something in the car that looked like a canister and called police, the officer said.
Newly appointed Justice Secretary Jack Straw said the government had been told about the bomb earlier on Friday morning. The security services "should be allowed to get on with their job with public confidence," he told BBC radio.
Police responded after members of the public reported a suspicious vehicle shortly before 2 a.m. (0100 GMT).
The street was sealed off while police investigated. It was likely to remain closed for the foreseeable future, they said.
A London Transport spokesman said Piccadilly underground station was closed and some bus services were also affected.
Haymarket is usually thronged with Londoners and tourists. It is close to Piccadilly Circus in an area packed with theatres, restaurants and pubs.
((Writing by Adrian Croft; Editing by Charles Dick; adrian.croft@reuters.com; +44 207 542 7947))
Keywords: BRITAIN BOMB/

For Related News, Double Click on one of these codes:
[G] [C] [D] [E] [M] [O] [T] [MTL] [GRO] [SOF] [OIL] [UKI] [PSC] [RNP] [DNP] [EMK] [NEWS] [GB] [WEU] [EUROPE] [VIO] [DIS] [CRIM] [SECUR] [LEN] [RTRS]
Friday, 29 June 2007 09:33:14RTRS [nL29269918] {EN}ENDS

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Well we can expect another attempt very soon I'd say because this is the easiest way to generate a big bang.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Well we can expect another attempt very soon I'd say because this is the easiest way to generate a big bang.

sadly you aren't wrong , i'm suprised live 8 went off without a hitch - isn't that Live Earth thing happening not long from now ?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
another vital one after a major change in British Society (7/7 the day after the Olympics sucess , today after change of PM) .. and it wasn't intelligence that were on top of it - just a causious member of the public :s

if you ask me that is pretty worrying!

You can only act on intelligence you recieve, it is obviously possible to do things under the radar.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I was gonna pop down to Lillywhites, I wont bother now!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Now Park Lane is closed as reports of 'suspicious vehicle at underground station'....possibly over-reaction, but still not good!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
now every dodgy car in london is gonna get reported

I just hope the tube lines dont shut

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
now every dodgy car in london is gonna get reported

I just hope the tube lines dont shut

Oops! It actually says underground car park, not underground station car park....sorry for the confusion and worry! Tube should be fine at present...

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Aren't nailbomb type things more atypical of a rogue than a terrorist?

After all, there were all those ones targeting gay areas during the late 1990s/start of this decade, in Soho and in Brixton too I think?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here