Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive Attack's statement re: Riots....

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So as the banks and the government are the bad guys it's okay to attack the property of innocent traders and commit acts of vandalism and theft ? Always thought Massive Attack were shit musically now I see that they are shit through and through.

No body has that that the riots and looting were okay all people are trying to do is look at the reasons behind them.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No body has that that the riots and looting were okay all people are trying to do is look at the reasons behind them.

Right, people using it an excuse to steal. Forget all the bullshit about deprivation, there's plenty of us with an axe to grind against banks and government but we don't see the answer is looting Argos. Don't look too hard, you may find yourself putting 'Political Correctness' before common sense.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
The statement is spot-on. There is a culture of greed in this country, this is the filtration of that culture. No-one is suggesting a teenager who nicks a telly is thinking about inflation rates while they're doing it, but they might feel angry/hopeless because they've got no community facilities, f*** all chance of getting to uni and f*** all job prospects. There is a difference between justifying and excusing the riots and understanding why they happened.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Thats the sort of talk that has helped the riots to happen in the first place. There should be universal condemnation of the riots and wanton violence, vandalism and looting.

The statement offered an explanation for the rioting, not a justification

How many of those rampaging out of control on the streets were thinking about the banking crisis of last year and if that was the cause as suggested why did it take so long for anything to occur as a result.

I don't think they were thinking it about it, these aren't protesters they're rioters. I fail to see how this proves that there's NO reason for it though. It happened now I would suggest because the Tottenham riots were the trigger. The cuts and economic downturn are in full effect (for the average person) NOW as opposed to when the crisis hit in 2008.

Try telling those who were killed as well as their friends and families, those who were injured or those whose lively hoods or homes were destroyed that the whole thing can be justified because the banks looted the nation’s wealth while destroying countless small businesses and brought the whole economy to its knees in a covert, clean manner, rather like organised crime.
I've seen no-one on this thread or any link from it 'justifying' the riots. I've only seen people trying to explain why it happened. The Massive Attack statement and the Oborne piece point out the rank hypocrisy in our lack of condemnation for what the banks have done.

And yet those who criticise the banks probably have borrowed money from banks at some points to fund their lifestlye (homes, cars etc) they will also use businesses that only exist because they were able to borrow money from a bank to set up / buy stock, etc. Very easy to criticise the banks by forgetting all the benefits they bring to society.
What? So if we have ever derived a benefit from a bank we can't criticise them? So is it totally out of order for me to expect that they can help people, make a MASSIVE profit and NOT bring the entire world to it's knees through reckless greed and the evasion of law and due process?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The statement is spot-on. There is a culture of greed in this country, this is the filtration of that culture. No-one is suggesting a teenager who nicks a telly is thinking about inflation rates while they're doing it, but they might feel angry/hopeless because they've got no community facilities, f*** all chance of getting to uni and f*** all job prospects. There is a difference between justifying and excusing the riots and understanding why they happened.

There you go, so politically correct, you must be so proud. Personally I consider that opinion pure bullshit but it is your right to be wrong. Have a nice day. If you look at most of theose who have or are facing conviction the vast majority are not underprivileged but don't let truth cloud your judgement.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Right, people using it an excuse to steal. Forget all the bullshit about deprivation, there's plenty of us with an axe to grind against banks and government but we don't see the answer is looting Argos. Don't look too hard, you may find yourself putting 'Political Correctness' before common sense.

No, no, NO - it's not an excuse. No-one is excusing the rioters, no-one is saying it's OK. People are trying to understand why it happened. And what the bloody hell has political correctness got to do with it?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No, no, NO - it's not an excuse. No-one is excusing the rioters, no-one is saying it's OK. People are trying to understand why it happened. And what the bloody hell has political correctness got to do with it?

Are you as thick as you appear to be ? Asked and answered. For the record, a so called (and in the light of the facts coming out) false, peaceful protest about a black man who was shot we have an excuse for wholesale civil disobedience, vandalism, arson, theft and murder. But apparently that Politicly correct saddos want to blame somebody other than the scum that did these acts.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Are you as thick as you appear to be ? Asked and answered. For the record, a so called (and in the light of the facts coming out) false, peaceful protest about a black man who was shot we have an excuse for wholesale civil disobedience, vandalism, arson, theft and murder. But apparently that Politicly correct saddos want to blame somebody other than the scum that did these acts.

WTF? You are calling me thick? No-one is providing an excuse or blaming someone else? Can you not see that? People are trying to explain why this happened now. Oborne says one reason is that we have a culture of greed, others talk about cuts to essential services which have disenfranchised youths even furthers, others point to the break down of family, others to the breakdown of law. None of which JUSTIFIES rioting, they are reasons why this may have have happened now. Instead of warbling on about 'political correctness' (I have no idea why) why don't you tell us why this happened, unless you don't believe in cause and effect and think it's just as likely to rain yellow frogs today.

And if you could hold back on the personal insults that would be nice.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

You're crazy. Why are you so angry (I mean on this thread generally, not about the riots)? Are you a troll?

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Dangle a bone and the people will bite.

I can imagine how the conversation went at downing street;

Cameron - what we need is some kind of distraction in all this so people forget that i was tanning myself up when this kicked off and also to cover the lack of coppers on the street and proposed cuts... any ideas?

Clegg - whatever you reckons best Davey boy. Nice tan by the way

Osborne - well. Everyone still hates banks. And there's a financial crisis kicking off again, so the beeb will love that. It'll also distract from the fact we will have an appalling conviction rate in this fiasco. Job done.

Cameron - perfect.

Last edited:

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
The main reason it happened is because they thought they could nick what they wanted with little fear of being arrested & knowing that if they were arrested the punishment would be so lenient that it didn't deter them. These "people" have no respect for the police or any form of authority as they've been brought up in an age where their parents & teachers were unable to discipline them. They believe it is their "right" to have an expensive lifestyle but don't expect to ever do a hard day's work. If there were no jobs as people are claiming why do I meet so many Eastern Europeans working hard in this country? These "people" don't want to work & have no interest in contributing to society & have no sense of responsibility. Until we stop showering benefits on people who have never done a day's work in their lives this will continue but there is no incentive to take a low paid job as the benefits system is so generous. Perhaps we could spend some of the billions spent on benefits on building more prisons so we can give these "people" the long sentences they deserve.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Nobody is excusing their behaviour either. Some people are trying to explain it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
WTF? You are calling me thick? No-one is providing an excuse or blaming someone else? Can you not see that? People are trying to explain why this happened now. Oborne says one reason is that we have a culture of greed, others talk about cuts to essential services which have disenfranchised youths even furthers, others point to the break down of family, others to the breakdown of law. None of which JUSTIFIES rioting, they are reasons why this may have have happened now. Instead of warbling on about 'political correctness' (I have no idea why) why don't you tell us why this happened, unless you don't believe in cause and effect and think it's just as likely to rain yellow frogs today.

And if you could hold back on the personal insults that would be nice.

He's always like that don't take it personally, i think he think that aggression and name calling are a good way to win an argument. If i got that angry about stuff i think i would keep well away from NSC.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Nobody is excusing their behaviour either. Some people are trying to explain it.

im affraid many are trying to excuse it: poor lambs didnt know what they were doing, its understandable they feel they have to smash up the place due to xyz. those trying to explain some background issues do so from a position of condemnation first and dont look for blame in recent economics, as the problems go back further and are far deeper than the events of two-three years (if parenting is a cause, then their parenting and upbringing is a cause... we go back at least a generation if not two). many others, for example in the Massive Attack statement, are trying to use the issue to grind their political axe, not explain.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No you are trying to excuse it, not the same thing.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
disobedience, vandalism, arson, theft and murder.

in order, respectfully:

Bills for corporate profit, corporate waste, removal of parks, bombings, bank bail outs, M.Duggan.

Not an excuse or any street violence, but these words you used are also done by the corporate / banking elite.

You cannot really go skitziod at the street lot, and not mention that this is going on a much higher and bigger level - it is a fractal/russian dolls , and it is silly to just look at one of them.

On this board i see people getting really angry about the riots and then swearing and insulting people, again this is a fractal of the same energy, another russian doll itself.

and as for "But apparently that Politicly correct saddos want to blame somebody other than the scum that did these acts." If you do not see that in our reality EVERY effect manifested has a cause then we see reality very differently. People do not just get born, grow up, and decide to smash things up.....never.....some energy and force somewhere needs to create the feelings frustration/helplessness/oppression.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The statement may be an attempt to explain the riots, but it fails.

If the riots were centered around smashing up and looting banks and government offices, then yes, this statement may explain it. But they weren't.

How can someone protest against small businesses closing down, by burning down small businesses?

The statement may explain genuine grievances that people hold against government, banks etc etc. But it does not in anyway explain the riots this week.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
He's always like that don't take it personally, i think he think that aggression and name calling are a good way to win an argument. If i got that angry about stuff i think i would keep well away from NSC.

You arrogant tosser, I am sick and tired of clueless apologist wankers like you, have you personally suffered at the actions of these scum ? When you have let me know otherwise f*** off you brainless twat.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
im affraid many are trying to excuse it: poor lambs didnt know what they were doing, its understandable they feel they have to smash up the place due to xyz. those trying to explain some background issues do so from a position of condemnation first and dont look for blame in recent economics, as the problems go back further and are far deeper than the events of two-three years (if parenting is a cause, then their parenting and upbringing is a cause... we go back at least a generation if not two). many others, for example in the Massive Attack statement, are trying to use the issue to grind their political axe, not explain.

I think you are putting words in a lot of peoples mouths here, making a lot of assumptions and jumping to many conclusions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here