Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive Attack's statement re: Riots....

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
What is it with people defending the rioters? Seriously, how can you condone their actions as socially reactive?? There is some facebook bollocks Martin Luther King quote that I keep seeing popping up and it makes me sick to think a spokesperson for a once genuinely repressed group of people is somehow connected with some chavvy twat/upper class oik/sheep who is after as many xbox games or nike trainers as he can lay his hands on.
On a positive note at least it has brought one section of the community together with the "Rioters should lose their benefits" petition. Obviously never going to happen but nice to know that there is a percentage that would be happy to starve the buggers to death.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
Forgive me. Is the the 'millionaire' band Massive Attack......who have made a fortune out of many of these so called unfortunate 'kids'..or maybe just wanton criminals? They are the last people to get involved in this.... they maybe articulate, but they are a million miles away from inner city depravation !

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Forgive me. Is the the 'millionaire' band Massive Attack......who have made a fortune out of many of these so called unfortunate 'kids'..or maybe just wanton criminals? They are the last people to get involved in this.... they maybe articulate, but they are a million miles away from inner city depravation !

My sentiments entirely hence my earlier post-in full agreement with you-

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Agree totally, just a bit of free publicity! Try telling those who lost business and homes that they are unfortunate kids!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
shame Massive Attack forgot about all the small businesses that were literally, not metaphorically, destroyed in the rioting.

its also a shame for those with similar points of view the rioters didnt target banks. they were only interested in Violent Consumerism.

there was no political gesture behind looting Dixons, JJB, smashing up a haridressers, stealing the kettle and sugar from a 80 year old barber or burning shops with people living above. just disrespect for their own communities. i dont know which is more pathetic, the rioters or anyone trying to excuse them.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
shame Massive Attack forgot about all the small businesses that were literally, not metaphorically, destroyed in the rioting.

its also a shame for those with similar points of view the rioters didnt target banks. they were only interested in Violent Consumerism.

there was no political gesture behind looting Dixons, JJB, smashing up a haridressers, stealing the kettle and sugar from a 80 year old barber or burning shops with people living above. just disrespect for their own communities. i dont know which is more pathetic, the rioters or anyone trying to excuse them.

So society is inherently equal, with everybody getting an equal slice of the pie, and there aren't winners and losers, no class differences and if you are born poor, you have an equal chance of being a millionaire?

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
No but if you are born poor you get a free education courtesy of the hard working tax payer & then the opportunity to seek employment & ultimately a career. Once you've worked hard & earnt sufficient money you can purchase items like expensive trainers & flat screen TV's. Alternatively of course you can refuse to work when you leave school & spend your life on benefits hating those that did work hard & eventually can afford things you can't. Once you get the opportunity you can loot shops & businesses to obtain those same items obviously.There may not be many jobs that pay above the minimum wage but those people that run some of the small shops you've robbed could have started out earning bad money & worked their way up from the bottom.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So society is inherently equal, with everybody getting an equal slice of the pie, and there aren't winners and losers, no class differences and if you are born poor, you have an equal chance of being a millionaire?

??? i really dont know what you are on about or why you draw that question. all society is inherently unequal - deal with that. i dont see how stealing trainers or looting then burning some cornershop has anything to do with equality. quite the opposite, it reverts to the worse of inequality, mob rule, the rule of the physically strong and violent minded over all others.

Last edited:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Anybody read the blog written by Peter Oborne in today's Telegraph (online)??

Absolutely brilliant piece upon the hypocrisy of the powerful & wealthy in their condemnation of the rioting scumbags. Check it out (if you haven't seen it) here:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/p...r-society-is-as-bad-at-the-top-as-the-bottom/

Yes a good read-but nothing new,this has gone on for 1000's of years-if not me and you Twinkle(if we had the chance)then some body would be top of the tree,it's how the tree is run is what's in question imo-Buddhism for me represents the best way to be and live.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Absolutely brilliant piece upon the hypocrisy of the powerful & wealthy in their condemnation of the rioting scumbags. Check it out (if you haven't seen it) here:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/p...r-society-is-as-bad-at-the-top-as-the-bottom/

Great piece. My favourite part:

Yesterday, the veteran Labour MP Gerald Kaufman asked the Prime Minister to consider how these rioters can be “reclaimed” by society. Yes, this is indeed the same Gerald Kaufman who submitted a claim for three months’ expenses totalling £14,301.60, which included £8,865 for a Bang & Olufsen television.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Hegemony = The media driven belief that the ruling elite rule to the benefit of all strata of society, equally, when in fact, they rule for their own benefit, at the expense of the lower echelons of society...

Sorry, you've been listening to too much Labour propaganda since 1997. Labour said this kind of thing so often, that people actually believe it.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Yes a good read-but nothing new,this has gone on for 1000's of years-if not me and you Twinkle(if we had the chance)then some body would be top of the tree,it's how the tree is run is what's in question imo-Buddhism for me represents the best way to be and live.

You're right hon, it isn't anything 'new' per-se, but I think it's a very timely reminder about these pontificating toe-rags that (one could argue) are no better than the robbing bastards kicking in shopfronts. I'm thankful I'm neither, but feel aggrieved by the behaviour of both. Happy times.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Good article, thanks. And talking of hypocrisy, here's an old piece on The Bullingdon club and two of it's former members who now find themselves in very prominent positions in society and with rather a lot to say about the recent riotous behaviour.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/camerons-cronies-the-bullingdon-clubs-class-of-87-436192.html

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
What is it with people defending the rioters? Seriously, how can you condone their actions as socially reactive?? There is some facebook bollocks Martin Luther King quote that I keep seeing popping up and it makes me sick to think a spokesperson for a once genuinely repressed group of people is somehow connected with some chavvy twat/upper class oik/sheep who is after as many xbox games or nike trainers as he can lay his hands on.
On a positive note at least it has brought one section of the community together with the "Rioters should lose their benefits" petition. Obviously never going to happen but nice to know that there is a percentage that would be happy to starve the buggers to death.

Martin Luther King was a Baptist minister. Full stop. Then he was assassinated. Somehow, his assassination levered him up into sainthood, just because he was murdered. I've nothing against such sainthood, but why wasn't he revered when he was alive?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

Yes you do. Look at David Beckham, Wayne Rooney, Mrs Wayne Rooney, Mrs David Beckham, Cheryl Cole and the rest of their ilk. Fine role models, all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here