Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive Attack's statement re: Riots....

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You're right hon, it isn't anything 'new' per-se, but I think it's a very timely reminder about these pontificating toe-rags that (one could argue) are no better than the robbing bastards kicking in shopfronts. I'm thankful I'm neither, but feel aggrieved by the behaviour of both. Happy times.

Twinkle-i see the connection and agree with much that is written-if i had the chance,i would favour moving to Tibet and then into the hills-too much of the worlds societies are based on greed and not the higher good of the collective........you coming? Tigers,mountains,rivers and some ancient potions to help wile away the time.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yes you do. Look at David Beckham, Wayne Rooney, Mrs Wayne Rooney, Mrs David Beckham, Cheryl Cole and the rest of their ilk. Fine role models, all.

Easy when your on the money they are on-give it all away and live on 15k a year and then still do the same and i will accept true role model status-good upstanding types that they may be.W Rooney?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
On a mission to be as tory as possible?

edit: and peculiar...

I don't actually know which of my posts you are referring to, as you have snipped it.

Presumably, you are one of those who think of the Tories as "scum". So be it. Personally, I think anybody who supports Labour is unimaginably stupid. (I don't usually say this sort of thing, but on this thread, in this context, I will.) And I was someone who voted Labour from the age of 18 until 29, when I matured, and began to think about politics, political parties, and what it all means.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Easy when your on the money they are on-give it all away and live on 15k a year and then still do the same and i will accept true role model status-good upstanding types that they may be.W Rooney?

I'm sorry, but I don't actually understand what you are saying, here.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'm sorry, but I don't actually understand what you are saying, here.

I am saying that fine role models they may be,but if the carried on without their millions,would they be just that? fine role models or has money changed them to look fine.

And is Wayne that good a role model?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Twinkle-i see the connection and agree with much that is written-if i had the chance,i would favour moving to Tibet and then into the hills-too much of the worlds societies are based on greed and not the higher good of the collective........you coming? Tigers,mountains,rivers and some ancient potions to help wile away the time.

Maybe uncle Tone could provide us sawts with a 'Tibet Lounge' at the stadium? Prob's won't be many in there anytime, but at least there won't be a queue for those authentic nibbles 'n' potions. Might have to rethink the Tiger sitch tho' - what wiv the 'Elf & Safety...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Maybe uncle Tone could provide us sawts with a 'Tibet Lounge' at the stadium? Prob's won't be many in there anytime, but at least there won't be a queue for those authentic nibbles 'n' potions. Might have to rethink the Tiger sitch tho' - what wiv the 'Elf & Safety...

Me too, take the potions for now-maybe i'll save it for a future life,if i decide to come back here again,which i may just do as the Albion seem to have been quite successful so far this century,who knows,the West may have been extended by such time,to include the Himalayas 4th tier.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Good article, thanks. And talking of hypocrisy, here's an old piece on The Bullingdon club and two of it's former members who now find themselves in very prominent positions in society and with rather a lot to say about the recent riotous behaviour.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/camerons-cronies-the-bullingdon-clubs-class-of-87-436192.html

Thanks for that, although I'm not sure I wanted to be reminded about the 'high jinx' of the Bullingdon Krew. Makes it all the more remarkable that the Hoodie Hugger seemed so incredulous at the behaviour of the Lootin' Posee. No wonder he took his time finishing off that Tuscan Latte.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
...and i fully agree...

"In context with the complicit support of the government, the banks looted the nation’s wealth while destroying countless small businesses and brought the whole economy to its knees in a covert, clean manner, rather like organised crime.

Our reaction was to march and wave banners and then bail them out. These kids would have to riot and steal every night for a year to run up a bill equivalent to the value of non-paid tax big business has ‘avoided’ out of the economy this year alone.

They may not articulate their grievances like the politicians that condemn them but this is absolutely political. As for the ‘mindless violence’… is there anything more mindless than the British taxpayer quietly paying back the debts of others while contributing bullets to conflicts that we have absolutely no understanding of?

It’s mad, sad and scary when we have to take to the streets to defend our homes and businesses from angry thieving kids, but where are the police and what justice is ever done when the mob is dressed in pin stripe."

Thats the sort of talk that has helped the riots to happen in the first place. There should be universal condemnation of the riots and wanton violence, vandalism and looting.

How many of those rampaging out of control on the streets were thinking about the banking crisis of last year and if that was the cause as suggested why did it take so long for anything to occur as a result.

I was listening to the radio earlier today and they had a few soundbites from some of those who took part and they included a few saying that it was caused by poverty, their povety being that they couldn't afford high end luxury items like the latest ipads, iphones etc. - someone needs to explain to them what poverty really is, and what luxury goods are (and that even people with full time jobs can't necessarily afford them too.)

As i have said on another thread, too many luxury items are now seen as everyday disposable items due to the way they are marketed, to many people think that they should be able to have these sort after luxuries as 'its my human right' and other such nonsensical phrases which get used. The vast majority of rioters / looters joined in because they thought they could get something for nothing and that there wouldn't be any repercussions for their actions.

Try telling those who were killed as well as their friends and families, those who were injured or those whose lively hoods or homes were destroyed that the whole thing can be justified because the banks looted the nation’s wealth while destroying countless small businesses and brought the whole economy to its knees in a covert, clean manner, rather like organised crime.

And yet those who criticise the banks probably have borrowed money from banks at some points to fund their lifestlye (homes, cars etc) they will also use businesses that only exist because they were able to borrow money from a bank to set up / buy stock, etc. Very easy to criticise the banks by forgetting all the benefits they bring to society.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
So society is inherently equal, with everybody getting an equal slice of the pie, and there aren't winners and losers, no class differences and if you are born poor, you have an equal chance of being a millionaire?

So society isn't equal, does that dismiss the need for basic morals in society? Do you think that the incidents which was caught on cctv where a guy who had been hurt was appearing to be helped by 2 people but in reality they were mugging him and the guy who was beaten up and later died because he tried to put out a bin fire are acceptable because there are richer and poorer people in society?

The Government give people a chance to improve themselves by providing free education, if job opportunities are limited, surely you try to become the best you can in order to give yourself every chance to make a decent living and yes, even a chance to become a millionaire (there are plenty of examples of self made millionaires, Alan Sugar, Richard Branson, etc.) Whether people look at and try to use this opportunity is down to them, but if they don't even try as many do and they then struggle to get anywhere in life, they can't really blame the Government (whoever is / was in power) - It is just an easy excuse.

A lot of those appearing in court appear to have fairly decent jobs and went looting as they saw an opportunity to get something for nothing and not some idealogy or because they blame other groups like politicians or banks.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Me too, take the potions for now-maybe i'll save it for a future life,if i decide to come back here again,which i may just do as the Albion seem to have been quite successful so far this century,who knows,the West may have been extended by such time,to include the Himalayas 4th tier.

Oh I say. Diggin' your vision of that 4th tier biz. I'd like to think they'd learn from the past & stick some lifts in though, otherwise those midweek cup games'll be a bit sparse. And then there's the desperate queues at the oxygen kiosks at H/T of course. Still, it'll still beat the Hell out of sharing a punnet of Prawns with the HB&B's of this world up in the Corporates. :wink:

Sweet dreams y'all & UTA! x x

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Forgive me. Is the the 'millionaire' band Massive Attack......who have made a fortune out of many of these so called unfortunate 'kids'..or maybe just wanton criminals? They are the last people to get involved in this.... they maybe articulate, but they are a million miles away from inner city depravation !

would that be the inner city deprivation that they grew up in?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
shame Massive Attack forgot about all the small businesses that were literally, not metaphorically, destroyed in the rioting.

its also a shame for those with similar points of view the rioters didnt target banks. they were only interested in Violent Consumerism.

there was no political gesture behind looting Dixons, JJB, smashing up a haridressers, stealing the kettle and sugar from a 80 year old barber or burning shops with people living above. just disrespect for their own communities. i dont know which is more pathetic, the rioters or anyone trying to excuse them.

or those who can't tell the difference between someone trying to excuse something and someone trying to explain something.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Thats the sort of talk that has helped the riots to happen in the first place. There should be universal condemnation of the riots and wanton violence, vandalism and looting.

How many of those rampaging out of control on the streets were thinking about the banking crisis of last year and if that was the cause as suggested why did it take so long for anything to occur as a result.

I was listening to the radio earlier today and they had a few soundbites from some of those who took part and they included a few saying that it was caused by poverty, their povety being that they couldn't afford high end luxury items like the latest ipads, iphones etc. - someone needs to explain to them what poverty really is, and what luxury goods are (and that even people with full time jobs can't necessarily afford them too.)

As i have said on another thread, too many luxury items are now seen as everyday disposable items due to the way they are marketed, to many people think that they should be able to have these sort after luxuries as 'its my human right' and other such nonsensical phrases which get used. The vast majority of rioters / looters joined in because they thought they could get something for nothing and that there wouldn't be any repercussions for their actions.

Try telling those who were killed as well as their friends and families, those who were injured or those whose lively hoods or homes were destroyed that the whole thing can be justified because the banks looted the nation’s wealth while destroying countless small businesses and brought the whole economy to its knees in a covert, clean manner, rather like organised crime.

And yet those who criticise the banks probably have borrowed money from banks at some points to fund their lifestlye (homes, cars etc) they will also use businesses that only exist because they were able to borrow money from a bank to set up / buy stock, etc. Very easy to criticise the banks by forgetting all the benefits they bring to society.

The worst thing about these riots was there was too much looting and not enough people descending on westminster with barrels of gun powder, eh Guy Fawkes!?

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
On a positive note at least it has brought one section of the community together with the "Rioters should lose their benefits" petition. Obviously never going to happen but nice to know that there is a percentage that would be happy to starve the buggers to death.

comments like this make you worse than those who were on the streets.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
So as the banks and the government are the bad guys it's okay to attack the property of innocent traders and commit acts of vandalism and theft ? Always thought Massive Attack were shit musically now I see that they are shit through and through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here