Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive Attack's statement re: Riots....

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
...and i fully agree...

"In context with the complicit support of the government, the banks looted the nation’s wealth while destroying countless small businesses and brought the whole economy to its knees in a covert, clean manner, rather like organised crime.

Our reaction was to march and wave banners and then bail them out. These kids would have to riot and steal every night for a year to run up a bill equivalent to the value of non-paid tax big business has ‘avoided’ out of the economy this year alone.

They may not articulate their grievances like the politicians that condemn them but this is absolutely political. As for the ‘mindless violence’… is there anything more mindless than the British taxpayer quietly paying back the debts of others while contributing bullets to conflicts that we have absolutely no understanding of?

It’s mad, sad and scary when we have to take to the streets to defend our homes and businesses from angry thieving kids, but where are the police and what justice is ever done when the mob is dressed in pin stripe."

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
...and i fully agree...

"In context with the complicit support of the government, the banks looted the nation’s wealth while destroying countless small businesses and brought the whole economy to its knees in a covert, clean manner, rather like organised crime.

Our reaction was to march and wave banners and then bail them out. These kids would have to riot and steal every night for a year to run up a bill equivalent to the value of non-paid tax big business has ‘avoided’ out of the economy this year alone.

They may not articulate their grievances like the politicians that condemn them but this is absolutely political. As for the ‘mindless violence’… is there anything more mindless than the British taxpayer quietly paying back the debts of others while contributing bullets to conflicts that we have absolutely no understanding of?

It’s mad, sad and scary when we have to take to the streets to defend our homes and businesses from angry thieving kids, but where are the police and what justice is ever done when the mob is dressed in pin stripe."

How can it be poitical if the situation to which you refer occurred under a previous government ?

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Lets forget the four people who died then shall we? I agree the banks and the Govt are as much robbers as the rioters, but it's not the same really is it?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's utter bullshit, using one argument to deflect from the problems faced by Londoners and other cities earlier in the week. As a matter of interest [MENTION=2850]brunswick[/MENTION], which town/city do you live in?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Massive attack sound massively ungrateful for the conditions that allow themselves to flourish-they could be in another less fortunate part of the world.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Naive imo.

He is addressing those bred for power, the perennial government. It doesn't matter which party they represent, in the end the ruling power will choose the smoothest, most lobbiest, most backhander paying path.

Riot or other insurgence against the current government is one thing

Riot against authority = anarchy !

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Hegemony = The media driven belief that the ruling elite rule to the benefit of all strata of society, equally, when in fact, they rule for their own benefit, at the expense of the lower echelons of society...

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Saying that the riots are justified because of another unrelated situation is utter bollocks.

The riot started around a protest. It grew simply because kids thought it was fun, and crucially, thought they would get away with it. f*** all to do with the economy.

I can write a statement twisting events to promote my own, or any other agenda, if you like. It's much the same as what the likes of the edf are doing and it doesn't help.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm not getting the naivety of this though... as ferring seagull has already commented, the bank crashes happened during the previous incumbents, so what is the relation to this ridiculous statement?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Lets forget the four people who died then shall we? I agree the banks and the Govt are as much robbers as the rioters, but it's not the same really is it?

This - although I agree banks caused much more financial damage I've yet to find many people who are worried they might get beaten to the ground by the man behind the counter at LloydsTSB next time they pop in to deposit a cheque.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
:fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing:

...and i fully agree...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here