Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Speight found dead

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Oh dear.

I don't want to come across as pompous but NSC always reaches the depth's when someone has tragically died for some reason. How can people post jokes, I just don't get it. Their maker must have forgotten to put in their Humanity chip.

Anway don't let me get in the way carry on I am sure there quite a few jokes to be had yet.

forget humans, if someone joked about a horse then i'd FLIP

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Interesting point. Can, under the Mental Health Act, people be sectioned for their own safety in situations like this?

Anyone know?

It would be a very tough one to call. In a way, it is predicting intent of suicide and making it effectively illegal for them. I'm not saying it would be a bad thing but it would be very difficult to enforce, which makes me think it doesn't exist.

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
I think if someone had dragged him into a doctor's surgery and he'd diagnosed extreme depression and potential self harm (if the lad had expressed these thoughts himself) it still wouldn't have been a foregone conclusion that he'd have been sectioned. It's a very grey area I believe, but it may have changed since I studied it years ago.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It would be a very tough one to call. In a way, it is predicting intent of suicide and making it effectively illegal for them. I'm not saying it would be a bad thing but it would be very difficult to enforce, which makes me think it doesn't exist.

You can be sectioned if youa re deemed to be a threat to yourself or others.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
So you've never had a drink then? What a load of puritanical crap. I hope you never lose anyone you love through drugs or drink because you'll realise how harsh you sound and how easy it is to spout off about something you know f*** all about. Prat.

It may surprise you, but yes, I have had a drink or two ... presume you're talking about alcohol?

I can honestly say that I doubt I will ever lose anyone I love through alcohol or drugs.

Two reasons:
1. I could never love anyone who took drugs or who drank excessively.
2. If someone I loved suddenly became addicted to either I would very quickly get them help.

Bottom line is pretty clear. If you mess with drugs or excessive alcohol use (or worse still a combination of both), then you should be able to see this kind of thing coming.

If they had both left drugs alone they would be alive now.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It may surprise you, but yes, I have had a drink or two ... presume you're talking about alcohol?

I can honestly say that I doubt I will ever lose anyone I love through alcohol or drugs.

Two reasons:
1. I could never love anyone who took drugs or who drank excessively.
2. If someone I loved suddenly became addicted to either I would very quickly get them help.

Bottom line is pretty clear. If you mess with drugs or excessive alcohol use (or worse still a combination of both), then you should be able to see this kind of thing coming.

If they had both left drugs alone they would be alive now.

Can anyone really be this naive? You clearly have no understanding of addiction or the way it affects people. If it was a case of just getting them some help then there would be very few addicts in the world. The fact that the help does not always work seems to have baffled you.

In fact if someobidy you loved became addicted you and your attitude would more than likely do more damage than good.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
My ex was a good friend of Natasha Collins from years ago and believe me, Mark didn't need to encourage her in the slightest as she already had a very healthy cocaine habit. She had been worried about Mark ever since Natasha died as they were deeply in love.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well the're together again now, in a place where thay can probably getting all the drugs they need.

Are you suggesting God hands out dime bags?

I saw American Gangster on DVD at the weekend, showed both sides of drugs. The good (someone makes a lot of money from it), and the bad (lots of people have an existence that could hardly be called enjoyable)

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My ex was a good friend of Natasha Collins from years ago and believe me, Mark didn't need to encourage her in the slightest as she already had a very healthy cocaine habit. She had been worried about Mark ever since Natasha died as they were deeply in love.

Good post Chappers from someone who does not prejudge and pass judgement without knowing the facts and has some compassion.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
A lot of people on this thread seem to very judgemental about depression and suicide in general.

Let me tell you my friends...it only takes a few things to go wrong in a short space of time within your own lives, and you could find yoursleves in a similar position.

Depression is an illness and it's not selective illness at that.

Maybe we can get over the stigma for a few moments, and feel a bit sorry for someone who felt they had to take their own life in a truly terrible situation.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Very good

Not

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
A lot of people on this thread seem to very judgemental about depression and suicide in general.

Let me tell you my friends...it only takes a few things to go wrong in a short space of time within your own lives, and you could find yoursleves in a similar position.

Depression is an illness and it's not selective illness at that.

Maybe we can get over the stigma for a few moments, and feel a bit sorry for someone who felt they had to take their own life in a truly terrible situation.

Agree with you entirely - 2 years ago i was diagnosed with depression, and those times were horrible to say the least. I defibitely do not want to go there again.

I feel so sorry for Mark, and I am really gutted to hear that he killed himself, it was such a waste of talent, and from what has been said on here and other places, there wasn't much he could have done to stop his girlfriend dying, and it sounded like he felt terrible (obviously) after she died and couldn't cope.

It's rather sad that the BBC aren't owning up to their mistakes about sacking him before he was even charged with anything too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here