Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Speight found dead

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It is very sad but it's all getting a bit gushing on here.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It's rather sad that the BBC aren't owning up to their mistakes about sacking him before he was even charged with anything too.

Interesting, sure I read on their website yesterday that HE had resigned from SMArt after the death of his g/f because 'he needed to grieve' although the Beeb were never going to let him work for them again in truth were they? Sad to see that Auntie hasn't moved on from the days when Janet Ellis could get sacked from Blue Peter simply for being pregnant, and that the 'old sweep it under the carpet' or 'stick your head in the sand' policy still holds true for them.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I feel so sorry for Mark, and I am really gutted to hear that he killed himself, it was such a waste of talent, and from what has been said on here and other places, there wasn't much he could have done to stop his girlfriend dying, and it sounded like he felt terrible (obviously) after she died and couldn't cope.

It's rather sad that the BBC aren't owning up to their mistakes about sacking him before he was even charged with anything too.

There is a world of difference between depression and feeling guilty about something.

As for there being nothing he could have done to prevent her dying, he could have chosen not to spend the night doing the following (from the BBC website)

He (Speight) told police the couple had been "partying" at home on their own and had taken cocaine and sleeping pills as well as drinking wine and vodka.

Coroner Dr Paul Knapman said the evidence pointed to the presenter collapsing in the bath.

"We have heard that, within the privacy of their flat, they had embarked on adventurous behaviour, ignoring the risks,"

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Interesting, sure I read on their website yesterday that HE had resigned from SMArt after the death of his g/f because 'he needed to grieve' although the Beeb were never going to let him work for them again in truth were they? Sad to see that Auntie hasn't moved on from the days when Janet Ellis could get sacked from Blue Peter simply for being pregnant, and that the 'old sweep it under the carpet' or 'stick your head in the sand' policy still holds true for them.

I think that's a bit harsh on the Beeb to be honest. We have one NSC/P regular who works at the Beeb and I suspect that there is a casual drugs culture there. It certainly is at another TV station that I could mention!

What else could the Beeb do. If it doesn't sack him it would be BINFEST central that they are effectively condoning recreational coke use. You could get away with it in relation to something like Never Mind the Buzzcocks, but surely not for kiddy tv.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think that's a bit harsh on the Beeb to be honest. We have one NSC/P regular who works at the Beeb and I suspect that there is a casual drugs culture there. It certainly is at another TV station that I could mention!

What else could the Beeb do. If it doesn't sack him it would be BINFEST central that they are effectively condoning recreational coke use. You could get away with it in relation to something like Never Mind the Buzzcocks, but surely not for kiddy tv.

Hi children....................... and welcome to this weeks show where we are going to teach you how to make a clockwork car out of a cotton reel and an elastic band and how to make your coke go a little further by cutting it with a bit of whizz.
But firstly heres Val to tell you how she blew 3 men at that party on saturday night.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Does anybody remember, from the mid-90's, a kids quiz show called 'eat your words' screened at about 5am that featured Mark Speight as a bit-part presenter called 'OJ' and the now TV celeb presenter Konnie Huq who at the time seemed like a incompetent, bored student seemingly dosed up on glue?

Kids (who looked like they hated it) took part in word quizes with the losers having to eat letter shaped food in a disgusting variety of flavours - hence the 'eat your words' title.

Ring any bells? Thought not. It was as shit as it sounds

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

All valid points, I was more questioning the BBC website going with the 'Mark resigned' line when he was seemingly sacked, not taking issue with the decision to get rid of him, which as you say, being a kids presenter, was the only choice they faced.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ouch. Wrong guy, but still...ouch :lolol:

Hmmm, this has the makings of an entirely new (and rather distasteful) thread, titled Ironic Celebrity Deaths

Neil Buchanan: Art Attack

Tony Hart...er...Irregular Hartbeat

Jeremy Clarkson- motor neurone disease...

etc

Rolf Harris could die of a mystery disease, his final words to the consultant could be "Can you tell what it is yet"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Alan Sugar could be gunned down in the street.
His last words would be...."you fired".

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Magnusson Magnusson has a heart attack, paramedics try to resucitate him but he waves them away on the grounds that "I've started so I'll finish"

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
*guilty sniggers*

Going back a few posts, regarding the question about whether people can be sectioned if they're suicidal, to actually section someone, they have to undergo a psychiatric assessment, which, as you can imagine with suicidal people, they're not generally keen to have.

The police have certain powers under S136 of the Mental Health Act, which decrees that if a person is in a public place, and appears to be suffering from a mental disorder, and it is apparent to a constable that they are in immediate need of care and control, they can be detained and taken, by force if necessary, to a place of safety.

The only approved 'places of safety' at the moment in Sussex are the police cells, which in practice means that the person is handcuffed, taken up to the custody centre, stuck in a cell until a mental health practitioner can come along and assess them, at which point the boffin almost always declares that no, they are not suffering from mental illness, and they are then released. To do the same again as soon as they get out...

It's a tough call- IMHO, someone feeling that bad about life isn't going to feel much better if you lock them up in a cell for fifteen hours, but on the other hand perhaps it will stop them, however temporarily, from topping themselves.

In reality (again) the vast majority of "suicidal" people I deal with are nothing of the sort, and have no intention of ending it all, as illustrated by the fact that they take overdoses or whatever, then call 999. They really do want the attention, sad though it is. There are far more self-harmers out there than you'd imagine. The occasional suicide I do go to- these people don't usually tell anyone, they just go quietly off and do it :(

It's an old adage- it really is the quiet ones you have to watch. If you ever have a mate who just goes off the radar and stops talking to everyone, he's the one you need to look out for.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
A lot of people on this thread seem to very judgemental about depression and suicide in general.

Let me tell you my friends...it only takes a few things to go wrong in a short space of time within your own lives, and you could find yoursleves in a similar position.

Depression is an illness and it's not selective illness at that.

Maybe we can get over the stigma for a few moments, and feel a bit sorry for someone who felt they had to take their own life in a truly terrible situation.

This is so typical of people who confuse two issues.

Depession is a medical condition and is to be treated sympathetically.

Drug taking is a done out of choice. It deserves no sympathy.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
*guilty sniggers*

Going back a few posts, regarding the question about whether people can be sectioned if they're suicidal, to actually section someone, they have to undergo a psychiatric assessment, which, as you can imagine with suicidal people, they're not generally keen to have.

The police have certain powers under S136 of the Mental Health Act, which decrees that if a person is in a public place, and appears to be suffering from a mental disorder, and it is apparent to a constable that they are in immediate need of care and control, they can be detained and taken, by force if necessary, to a place of safety.

The only approved 'places of safety' at the moment in Sussex are the police cells, which in practice means that the person is handcuffed, taken up to the custody centre, stuck in a cell until a mental health practitioner can come along and assess them, at which point the boffin almost always declares that no, they are not suffering from mental illness, and they are then released. To do the same again as soon as they get out...

It's a tough call- IMHO, someone feeling that bad about life isn't going to feel much better if you lock them up in a cell for fifteen hours, but on the other hand perhaps it will stop them, however temporarily, from topping themselves.

In reality (again) the vast majority of "suicidal" people I deal with are nothing of the sort, and have no intention of ending it all, as illustrated by the fact that they take overdoses or whatever, then call 999. They really do want the attention, sad though it is. There are far more self-harmers out there than you'd imagine. The occasional suicide I do go to- these people don't usually tell anyone, they just go quietly off and do it :(

It's an old adage- it really is the quiet ones you have to watch. If you ever have a mate who just goes off the radar and stops talking to everyone, he's the one you need to look out for.

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
*guilty sniggers*

So Speight's friends and family couldn't have asked for him to be taken into care? He'd have either had to have volunteered for a medical appraisal, or he'd have had to have gone nuts in public and been detained by a copper?

Seems a tough one to call.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I understand he hanged himself at the top of MacMillan House which is owned by Network Rail and I've been to meetings there a few times.

The bigger issue is surely how did he get there, what sort of security was in place ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here