Votes: 104 65.4%
  • Out

Votes: 55 34.6%

• Total voters

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Richie Morris said:
Ok, its New Years Eve and I cannot be bothered to have a pointless argument on here.

I hope this is a new year resolution for you Richie. :wave:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
My opinion, for what it's worth...

I think we should keep McGhee. His past record with the Albion is good. He got us promoted and then in his second season he kept us up. If we win the same number of points in the last 19 games as sheff wed, crewe and millwall he will have achieved survival again.

He is working in difficult circumstances. A small squad, a tiny budget, a home stadium that's a rickety hovel and so quiet you can hear the squirrels mating in the nature reserve. Those are the facts that he has to work with. Yes he has made mistakes, but which manager hasn't? Yes, losing to millwall yesterday was a terrible result. Yes there are better managers than McGhee, but none that I can think of that we can get. Danny Wilson has been mentioned. I think he's a good manager but I don't think he would do any better than McGhee. In fact there's nothing he's done to suggest he would be better.

People say we rolled over in the second half and showed no fight. Well sometimes that happens. Remember Palace 2002? Adams's teams had the odd occassion when they just didn't look bothered. Man utd, Arsenal, every team does it from time to time.

It seems to me that McGhee is building a fine nucleus of players. And he is building a fine nucleus of young players. Players who will only improve, who are not on huge wages so that should we get relegated(which for a club in brighton's restricted position should always be considered as a very real possibility when playing at this level) we won't have to sell and will help us come back up.

His work in the transfer market is good. This season he has brought in nine players. I would suggest that the majority of them have been a success. Successes first:
He's brought in three loan keepers. The two that have played have earnt rave reviews from the fans and everyone would appear to be happy if we were to sign one if not both in the transfer window.
McShane. The consensus appears to be that he has been player of the season so far, along with...
Carole. A player who many describe as being the most skillfull and exciting player to play for us in many years. Most of our best attacking play seems to go through him. On the other wiing there is Frutos, another player that is generally accepted as being a good signing and a quality player.
CKR. Maybe a little contentious but I think he has proven to be a success. Maybe he's struggled to convince all the time when he starts but coming off the bench he has proven to be a very good player, scoring some wonderful and important goals. He promises to be an excelent acquisition.

Now for those that have not been succesful.
Flo. Seems a bit harsh to call him a failure after only playing one game...
Dodd. Been out injured all season. Again a bit harsh to call his signing a failure but at this stage of the season it must be deemed so as he hasn't contributed much if anything to the team.
El Turi. Again a little harsh to call him a failure as he's barely figured in the teams plans due to injury etc. However having been the costliest signing we've made in god knows how long and having given the team nothing to date, like Dodd we must at this stage call him a failure.

So, overall, McGhee's dealing in the transfer market can be seen as being succesful. Even last years signings- Reid, Nicolas, Molango, Jarret, Currie, McCammon haven't worked out so bad. The only failure there is Molango, the others have all offered a positive contribution of varying degree. He even managed to make a 250,000 profit on Currie in a matter of months.

It should also be remembered that he has brought on a lot of youngsters and the sale of two of them has helped this club to continue it's existence.

However, something does appear to be wrong. On a number of occasions his tactical nous has been called into question. This is something I can't really pass comment on. I would, however, suggest that it is the only part of his record that can be seriously queried. How serious a problem it is, I don't know.

Despite these criticisms though he has managed to guide the club to promotion, kept us up in this division and is doing so again. That, in my opinion, is the most we can expect any manager to achieve in the club's current situation. He has earnt, and is in, more than enough credit with the club to continue doing his job.

One final thought. If we were to sack McGhee. Who do you think would want the job? What decent manager would want to work for a club with our limited playing squad and resources, whose highest realistic target is to maintain championship football for another season, when that club has just sacked it's manager for getting them promoted, keeping them up and who- at the time of being sacked- had the team outside of the relegation zone? Who in their right mind would take on this job in those circumstances?

Sorry, this has been a really long post. If you got all the way through it...Thanks and well done!:clap:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Great stuff. Can't fault any of it.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Ditto.

:clap: :clap:

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
In. With our resources only Paul Daniels could get results. It comes to something when people want Mayo back to solve our defensive problems! McPhee should still be making the tea. The list of players that are out of their depth, carrying injuries & played out of position is endless. I defy anyone to get results given the circumstances.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
London Irish said:
he also laid on a gilt-edged chance for Leon in the second half to equalise, just as he did with Hammond to wrap up the game in the first half.

Still, shit happens, n'est pas?

Onwards to the Scummers :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

The offside flag was raised so it wouldnt have counted, but agreed he did well to lay on the chance.

McCammon played well today but still should have scored twice yesterday.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Considering this same poll was over 3-1 in favour of McGhee last time round, a sizeable number seem to be converting to the "out" stance.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Post of the day.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Ernest said:
I really must buy myself a pair of rose tinted specs so I can convince myself that the shit I've watched at Withdean this season especially yesterday is really good football and that the lardy Jocko wanker is doing a good job :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'll lend you mine Ernest. The miserable feelings only last for a couple of hours after a match and then the optimism returns.
A couple of drinks with mates help though. ;)

caz

Aug 10, 2005
Mr Burns said:
Out (just)

I think the time as come to look elsewhere. I think we have a good core bunch of players, but he doesn't get the best out of them and some of his decisions are mind-blowing.

Two weeks ago he praises Gary Hart for bringing the best out of the coka-cola kid. So what's he do, change his position, then today leaves him out all together, and plays CKR and McCrapon together. Result, two lazy players strutting around without a clue or care between them.

Another reason we have 7 senior strikers, of which Malongo is out on loan and will never come back, McPhee aint good enough, Jake is too lightweight and young at the moment, one is always injured (Argie) and the other three are so lazy and so far up there own arses they could brush the back of their teeth from there. And he still wants more!!! Haven't got any full backs good enough to play, yet he still signed Strikers in pre season. You need at least 4 full backs at this level, Mayo is not good enough, Dodd's always was going to be a bit part player due to injuires so we need at least another 3.

Too many players are showing disent and getting away with it. The keeper refuses to be sub, should have been told to f*** off and never return, Leo can't stop whinging and telling everyone how great he is, and McCrapon gets sent home on his own, and they all get away with it. All three of them should never wear the colours again. If you refuse to play or show the manager disent in the Albion Stripes you should be told to go.

What we need is a harder manager in the mould of a Brian Clough type, someone who won't take shit.

Give me 11 Gary Hart's, whilst not the most gifted player we have, at least his type will run themselves into the ground for the cause, unlike the lazy ***** we have up front at the moment.

I'm waiting for our commentary team to do a Ron Atkinson, because theres a bit of truth in that, certainly where the Albion are concerned.

Rant Over and Out.

WELL SAID. MM OUT.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gary Hart has tonsilius so all those who blame MM for leaving him out can re-examine their posts.

Repugnant Toad said:
Considering this same poll was over 3-1 in favour of McGhee last time round, a sizeable number seem to be converting to the "out" stance.

:lolol:

If we beat Southampton tomorrow, the same poll would show McGhee probably winning 5-1, but keep grasping at straws.

It is perfectly obvious to anyone who knows anything abut the Albion, that even in the unfortunate circumstances of us returning to League 1 in May, McGhee stays as manager as long as he wants the job. Only a bad season one league down would raise even an inkling of concern among the directors.

But let's carry on with these pointless polls by all means, they are fun :D

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
It is perfectly obvious to anyone who knows anything abut the Albion, that even in the unfortunate circumstances of us returning to League 1 in May, McGhee stays as manager as long as he wants the job. Only a bad season one league down would raise even an inkling of concern among the directors.

Believe me, I'm under no illusions over the prospects of him actually getting sacked. Can't stop dreaming though ... :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here