Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark McGhee expects to keep his job if we go down

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I can't see the sense in this, to be honest.

If he gets sacked, then surely it's because DK and the Board felt that we should have been able to survive, and that the money we'll lose as a result is worth letting him go.

Personally, I think DK will stick with him, and that is probably the right decision, at least until the Falmer situation is finally resolved, because until then, we will not be able to attract anyone better than MM.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Richie Morris said:
Todays Argus..

Mark McGhee claims it would be outrageous for albion to sack him if they are relegated.

He should not expect to keep his job if we lose at Plymouth! :censored:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Yorkie said:
Do you mean the LDC appeal? That is between LDC and the Government. The club cannot do anything except to defend ourselves because we have been named as defendants. There is nothing to answer that hasn't already been covered in previous forums/public inquiry.

It should be between them but we have been named haven't we ?

Like why are LDC saying it's gonna cost them 65k but we are saying 90k

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Silent Bob said:
" Those are the sort of statistics which usually have fans calling for the manager's head but the Withdean faithful have demonstrated an understanding of the difficulties McGhee faces.

The only opposition so far has come from a vocal minority on radio phone-ins and website chatrooms. "

What a load of shit. What did he do, go round and ask every fan at the Withdean if they wanted McGhee in or out and ask whether they useNSC or ring the phone in? :shootself

I didn't hear any booing or McGhee out shouts at the last home game. I heard 'We are staying up' from H/J block but that was about it.
Plenty of grumbling on the way out, it is true, but no really vocal protests.
Grumbling between fans is normal when we have just lost a game anyway.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
blockhseagull said:
It should be between them but we have been named haven't we ?

That's what I've just said.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Yorkie said:
I didn't hear any booing or McGhee out shouts at the last home game. I heard 'We are staying up' from H/J block but that was about it.
Plenty of grumbling on the way out, it is true, but no really vocal protests.
Grumbling between fans is normal when we have just lost a game anyway.
This is true. It doesn't mean that everyone backs McGhee. Support I'd guess is divided almost 50/50.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Silent Bob said:
This is true. It doesn't mean that everyone backs McGhee. Support I'd guess is divided almost 50/50.

I wouldn't have a clue to be honest. I know what I see here from roughly 120 people each week but that is not the majority of Brighton fans.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I just hope there is no booing at Plymouth definate booing at Crewe i decided not to partake as felt a bit unfair on the lads but i had a damn good maon about it all.

I think PLymouth could be a test of resolve.

Also why won't DK be honest and say, yes we accept we will go down but the manager will be gievn funds to build for next season.

Last edited:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
blueandwhitearmy said:
If he gets sacked then I think it's a f***ing disgrace. At the start of the season we were favourites to go down, at the start of last season we were favourites to go down. McGhee managed to keep us up with the shit resources we have at this club last year, we should be expecting to go down. I honestly don't think any other manager could've done any better than McGhee has at this club.

So, we go down, we sack McGhee, bring in some unknown new guy - I don't really think that's going to solve anything. At least we know where we are with McGhee and we know he has been successful at that level in the past.

People seem to think that just because this is the club they support that it should be successful, unconditionally. Well take a look around, we haven't got any money to spend on players, we're playing at a shit athletics track stadium, we're forced to sell our best players and we don't even know if Falmer will ever happen.

If we do go down then McGhee deserves at least a chance of getting us out of there - I think sacking him now, or at the end of the season would be extremely premature. I honestly believe, although I know many of you won't, that McGhee is still the man for this job and I'm 100% behind him.
The silent majority methinks:clap:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Goring Gull said:
Also why won't DK be honest and say, yes we accept we will go down but the manager will be gievn funds to build for next season.

Er because there will be no funds you muppet

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Wanderer said:
Er because there will be no funds you muppet

Rotherham springs to mind then.

This squad is no where good enough for league one especially with Mcghee seemingly losing the dressing room and respect of the players leaving him searching for ways to motivate them, he's had to offlaod senior pros who have taken a dislike to him and use the youngsters who dare not go against him for teh risk of having their careers ruined. I can see us free falling and that will make the financial situation.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Goring Gull said:
Rotherham springs to mind then.

This squad is no where good enough for league one especially with Mcghee seemingly losing the dressing room and respect of the players leaving him searching for ways to motivate them, he's had to offlaod senior pros who have taken a dislike to him and use the youngsters who dare not go against him for teh risk of having their careers ruined. I can see us free falling and that will make the financial situation.

You do speak some rubbish. So you do not think that players like Henderson, Reid, El Abd, Hinshelwood, Lynch, Hammond, Carole, Frutos, CKR etc are good enough for League 1.

He has offloaded, as you put it, three senior players. Knight was not pulling his weight, is not Championship quality and sulked when not picked. Despite there being no replacement, I am glad that he has gone. Kuipers has been sent out on loan because he is not as good as Henderson. McCammon has been criticised by all on here for not being good enough anyway.

Were you at the Norwich and Watford games because nobody at those games would claim that McGhee has lost the dressing room. It is complete rubbish. Rotherham and Gillingham have struggled this year because they changed manager, not because they kept faith with their manager.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
If we sack McGhee then we should also have sacked Coppell.

Relegation does not a bad manager make, sure the squad may not be so great, but you cut your cloth according to your means, not according to your aspirations.

There are plenty of examples ( just look at Southampton ) of chairmen running their clubs in a ' knee jerk ' fashion, anxious to sack managers at the stroke of a hat ( Paul Sturrock springs readily to mind ) but really a manager is only as good as the level of ( financial ) backing his chairman is prepared to give him.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
brightonfan_86 said:
6 wins in 48 games, falling out with players, doesn't use the transfer money to strengthen the squad, playing players out of positions and changing the strike force round to many times.

Magoo your time is up. Please just go. :wave:

But didn't Mghee state there is no one available that is any better than what we have :lol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Goring Gull said:
But didn't Mghee state there is no one available that is any better than what we have
Which is exactly why Sheff Wed are also struggling and trying to get a loan from the Blades.
This is from Sky Sports

Neil Warnock has insisted that he will not be loaning any of his players to their local rivals Sheffield Wednesday.

The Sheffield United boss believes that it would put unfair pressure on the players, whether their performances for The Owls were good or bad.

Wednesday were missing 13 players for their game with Southampton at the weekend where they were crushed 3-0 on the South Coast.

However, Warnock will not even contemplate helping their rivals out no matter how many players they are missing.

"It wouldn't be fair on the players," said Warnock.

"If they did badly they'd be slaughtered by the Wednesday fans but if they did well our fans wouldn't be happy."

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Re: Re: Mark McGhee expects to keep his job if we go down

3gulls said:
He should not expect to keep his job if we lose at Plymouth! :censored:

Yes bu't you said that about every team we've played this year near as dammit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here